• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Cricket Thread

To be fair none of the players in contention for that spot have had a good season. There hasn't been one standout English batsman this summer.
Even Trescothick had a poor season by his standards.

Warner's an air head always has been.

I just find the whole thing very funny, and the way Warner is playing the Victim card makes it even worse. I won't be surprised at all if the fans at the stadium jump on the band wagon and make his life even worse on the field...

How about Taylor's 181* on one leg?!? One of the best knocks I've ever seen!

Indeed it was. Only saw the highlights though...

I won't be surprised at all if the fans at the stadium jump on the band wagon and make his life even worse on the field...
Hopefully they do lol, Davey Dumb Dumb (that's what he's known as in NZ) could do with a bit of his own medicine...
One of the best short format innings I've seen in a long time.
Absolutely! If only we had him today... our order is beyond inconsistent atm and Kane isn't carrying us like he used to. England are a dynamite one day side. Looking forward to the tests!

Why is it the new norm that as soon as there is a new scandal they give it a name linked to the scandal and add "gate" to it like Watergate was the first ever scandal and everything else has to follow?

This whole sandpapergate thing is a mess, and I'm interested to see what happens now. Smith and Warner as well as Bancroft have been the guys to score the runs for Australia against us in the series, and if they don't play the last test, who will replace them, and what will happen??

Bancroft was the guy tasked with the actual cheating. Smith as a good captain has to do came out to defend his player and said it was a plan by the leadership group. That indicates that Warner might have been involved. It might have been Warner who came up with the idea, organized who is going to do it and then Smith would obviously have needed to give permission for this along with Warner. So how is it that Smith is the one being attacked solely, he lost his captaincy, got suspended for the rest of the series. But Warner and Bancroft escapes serious punishment with just their match fees reduced.

Bancroft was the guy tasked with the actual cheating. Smith as a good captain has to do came out to defend his player and said it was a plan by the leadership group. That indicates that Warner might have been involved. It might have been Warner who came up with the idea, organized who is going to do it and then Smith would obviously have needed to give permission for this along with Warner. So how is it that Smith is the one being attacked solely, he lost his captaincy, got suspended for the rest of the series. But Warner and Bancroft escapes serious punishment with just their match fees reduced.

I think you are missing that Smith was part of the "leadership group" that decided to do this. Bancroft is just the fall guy for being one of the rookies in the squad. Bancroft, Smith, Warner and Lyon was in the Match Referee's office.

But look at the media conference Smith gave. It was such a half-hearted admission. And now there's evidence coming out of previous indiscretions. One of the tv pundits also said, that they will look at the Durban test's tapes and see if they could pick something up, as it's nearly impossible to get the ball to reverse swing before 30 overs...

I think you are missing that Smith was part of the "leadership group" that decided to do this. Bancroft is just the fall guy for being one of the rookies in the squad. Bancroft, Smith, Warner and Lyon was in the Match Referee's office.

But look at the media conference Smith gave. It was such a half-hearted admission. And now there's evidence coming out of previous indiscretions. One of the tv pundits also said, that they will look at the Durban test's tapes and see if they could pick something up, as it's nearly impossible to get the ball to reverse swing before 30 overs...

No i got that he was part of the leadership group and yes as the captain who would allow this action to be done on the field he has to take some of the flack.
I just wondered that Smith obviously would not come out in the press conference and say something like "it was Warners plan" rather he attributed it do the leadership group. Now i dont know much about Smiths character but im guessing that if he came up with that idea alone then he would've said so in his press conference. My issue is that i think Smith is being made the fall guy based on his leadership position even though the inquiry is yet to determine who was the real mastermind behind it. It baffels me that the guy who actually tampered with the ball despite his "young" age of 25 and despite of him not being part of the leadership group got off much lighter than his captain.

No i got that he was part of the leadership group and yes as the captain who would allow this action to be done on the field he has to take some of the flack.
I just wondered that Smith obviously would not come out in the press conference and say something like "it was Warners plan" rather he attributed it do the leadership group. Now i dont know much about Smiths character but im guessing that if he came up with that idea alone then he would've said so in his press conference. My issue is that i think Smith is being made the fall guy based on his leadership position even though the inquiry is yet to determine who was the real mastermind behind it. It baffels me that the guy who actually tampered with the ball despite his "young" age of 25 and despite of him not being part of the leadership group got off much lighter than his captain.

See it as a police investigation into a drug syndicate. The cops wants to catch the main guy, not the one on the street selling the drugs. Smith and Lehman and Warner, are the main guys, and Bancroft is the guy on the street...

You have to chop off the head of the snake. And it seems like it is indeed Smith, Warner and Lehman who were behind this. Cricket Australia will give a press conference tomorrow about this issue.

I think a lot of it has to do with the (surreal) attitude the Australian Cricket team has come out with over the last several years as 'holier than thou', complaining about fans getting personal (which always makes me laugh), and 'personal sledging'.
The tears over the last days in interviews for 'getting caught cheating' (NB. Not 'cheating', but 'getting caught cheating' are not going to receive any sympathy from any nation that actually plays cricket, apart from the perps (I guess it's in the genes :p))

I think a lot of it has to do with the (surreal) attitude the Australian Cricket team has come out with over the last several years as 'holier than thou', complaining about fans getting personal (which always makes me laugh), and 'personal sledging'.
The tears over the last days in interviews for 'getting caught cheating' (NB. Not 'cheating', but 'getting caught cheating' are not going to receive any sympathy from any nation that actually plays cricket, apart from the perps (I guess it's in the genes :p))

This!

I find all these press conferences a bit of a slap in the face kind of act. Their apologies seem a bit faked, the remorse is little to none, and the words they use have been carefully written for them. Nothing is from the heart. And every second day someone else comes up to take blame. David Warner's wife is the newest one to take blame as she feels she started this whole debacle. Which is a bunch of nonsense! This started long before this series, And it's just that they got caught now that it's boiled over. The sledging by Mr. Warner and co. is something that has been there in the Aussie camp since the dawn of time.

So, England are playing their first home test series of the Summer against Pakistan following their underwhelming tour of Oz & NZ.

It's not going well: having won the toss and decided to bat we're currently 43/3 on the morning of Day 1. #smh

AB de Villiers retired yesterday from all international cricket at the ripe age of 34.

I'm gutted!
And with that our world cup chances went out of the window. With him we had an outside chance, without him i can't see that happening.
Really wanted him to have a last crack at the world cup considering what happened vs NZ the last time out. He always stated its his intention of winning a world cup but now he just gave up that dream which is disappointing.
I honestly blame the IPL for his change in views as that probably pushed him over the edge.

In the end he has given us lots of great memories in cricket and he has the right especially considering his stats to choose his own path. But its very disappointing considering he basically just came back from a sabbatical and we were pinning our world cup hopes on him and now he abandoned the Proteas a year out.

Guess now will be the perfect time to introduce that much anticipated Allrounder to our lineup.

P.S I hoped he could have used the experience of playing with Kohli to give the youngsters in the proteas squad some mental and preparation tips of how the best in the world get ready to perform consistently.

Latest posts