• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Cricket Thread

Love to see what the betting patterns were like in the Windies v Pakistan game.
England had a pretty awful performance, and Pakistan played out of their skin in this one.
Think it's time to drop Ali, even if he did take a few wickets. Far too hit and miss, and mostly miss now.

England had a pretty awful performance, and Pakistan played out of their skin in this one.
Think it's time to drop Ali, even if he did take a few wickets. Far too hit and miss, and mostly miss now.
"Awful" seems a bit harsh on the batsmen!

Only saw highlights to be fair but yeah it looks like the bowlers didn't cover themselves on glory. Encouraging that we still came within, what, 15 runs of chasing it though. I feel if either one of Root and Buttler had kept concentration and gone on after passing 100 we'd have won that.

TBF you can't fault two batsmen who just scored the first two tons of this tournament, you have to be looking at everyone else really. Ali especially has his job in the order is to be a finisher.

But you can't ask Buttler to score 150 which is what was required in the situation he was in.

I think knee jerks are possible we were due a loss and Pakistan a win. Better to get over it now.

I think you Englishmen are way too harsh on your players. You are probably the only team in the tournament that can bat to 11. Ali even though he looked out of form with the bat still scored at a run a ball.

But from what we've seen so far in the tournament, if the team bats first scores more than 300, the team chasing just falls short. I think a lot of teams need to re-evaluate their strategy as it's not as clear cut as it was in the past. SA have now chased twice, which has been our go to move if we win the toss, and both times fell short.

It was fixed as bro. But never to worry, Pakistan is no threat in this cup, they'll fix the final if they make it that far. They've done it before.

TBF you can't fault two batsmen who just scored the first two tons of this tournament, you have to be looking at everyone else really. Ali especially has his job in the order is to be a finisher.

But you can't ask Buttler to score 150 which is what was required in the situation he was in.

I think knee jerks are possible we were due a loss and Pakistan a win. Better to get over it now.
What about bowlers? Or do you not want to compromise the batting ability of your number 11?

What about bowlers? Or do you not want to compromise the batting ability of your number 11?
I think our usefulness of being able to bat down to 11 is overstated, its useful setting a target but not so great chasing it as evidenced yesterday. They can fix a collapse but yesterday when Buttler was out the RR was already too high.

Ali is woefully out of nick a run a ball is okay in this situation but he's expected to have a strike rate above 100 especially in that situation, infact we need that from everyone.

Honestly I'm more surprised we kept Ali in and dropped Plunkett. If your intent is hostile bowling which is what they were attempting with Wood you keep your pacemen and drop the spinners.

I wonder how the cricket is going......oh dear India appear to be making a statement.

idk, strong start to the over by the bowlers

Edit: innings apparently

i'm spending my lunch break watching the indian chase, what's the proper strategy by south africa here?
Probably a bit late to answer here, but why not, I'll give it a go...

My view is defending a low total means going on the attack, a kind of all or nothing approach. India want nothing more than a calm, slow chase, no fireworks either in terms of runs or wickets (and seem to gave but their wish). SA's best chance would have been to make things happen early, a couple of early wickets could have sown some panic, given them a chance to roll with the momentum.

Probably a bit late to answer here, but why not, I'll give it a go...

My view is defending a low total means going on the attack, a kind of all or nothing approach. India want nothing more than a calm, slow chase, no fireworks either in terms of runs or wickets (and seem to gave but their wish). SA's best chance would have been to make things happen early, a couple of early wickets could have sown some panic, given them a chance to roll with the momentum.

I think we did remarkably well with regard to restricting them for the most part of their innings, but we ultimately didn't take enough wickets early on to put ourselves in contention to win. But when David Miller dropped Rohit Sharma, I just knew it was all over.

Our guys' attitude is horrible we don't look interested at all at being at the world cup. The only guys who seemed to want to play was Rabada and Morris.

I think we did remarkably well with regard to restricting them for the most part of their innings, but we ultimately didn't take enough wickets early on to put ourselves in contention to win. But when David Miller dropped Rohit Sharma, I just knew it was all over.

Our guys' attitude is horrible we don't look interested at all at being at the world cup. The only guys who seemed to want to play was Rabada and Morris.
I didn't watch the game at all so talking in generalities here, but you are always up against it defending a low total because you need wickets but they don't need to play shots, so where are those crickets going to come from? Looks a lot like this happened yesterday, "restricting them" won't have caused India any worries I don't imagine

I didn't watch the game at all so talking in generalities here, but you are always up against it defending a low total because you need wickets but they don't need to play shots, so where are those crickets going to come from? Looks a lot like this happened yesterday, "restricting them" won't have caused India any worries I don't imagine

I think we created a lot of chances for wickets, and several shots just either flew over a fielder's head or past their fingertips.

But what is frustrating for me as a South African supporter is that our Bowlers are trying to use the bouncer way too much, and most international teams know how to play/defend the bouncer, especially if the pitch isn't helping it at all.

But the main difference between us and India yesterday was the spinners. India's spinners took 5 wickets and ours took zero.

"Awful" seems a bit harsh on the batsmen!

Only saw highlights to be fair but yeah it looks like the bowlers didn't cover themselves on glory. Encouraging that we still came within, what, 15 runs of chasing it though. I feel if either one of Root and Buttler had kept concentration and gone on after passing 100 we'd have won that.

The batting wasn't bad. (Root and Buttler pretty awesome as usual)
The bowling wasn't bad.
The fielding was diabolical. Cost them 20-30 runs, which then put the pressure on the batsmen and they started playing some silly shots (or none at all in Ali's case).
Roy also had a game to forget.

I think we created a lot of chances for wickets, and several shots just either flew over a fielder's head or past their fingertips.

But what is frustrating for me as a South African supporter is that our Bowlers are trying to use the bouncer way too much, and most international teams know how to play/defend the bouncer, especially if the pitch isn't helping it at all.

But the main difference between us and India yesterday was the spinners. India's spinners took 5 wickets and ours took zero.

I was going to grab tickets for the game in Cardiff this weekend, and go with a SA friend. You guys are having a mare though, so going to spend the cash on beer instead.

I was going to grab tickets for the game in Cardiff this weekend, and go with a SA friend. You guys are having a mare though, so going to spend the cash on beer instead.

Good call. Although I think you might have had a better time giving your SA friend a hard time at the game. The term "choker" seems appropriate...

Good call. Although I think you might have had a better time giving your SA friend a hard time at the game. The term "choker" seems appropriate...
He used to teach Krav Maga. I try to avoid words like 'choke' around him :)

He used to teach Krav Maga. I try to avoid words like 'choke' around him :)

in that case, will you please ask him to go to the Protea dressing room and beat the crap out of all of our guys and tell them that they should swim back to SA after their kak showing.

I don't think you can call South Africa chokers.

Don't you have to get to a knockout game to choke....?

Latest posts