• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Cricket Thread

Bizarre ODI going on. Gayle's on 157 and the Windies still need another 133 to win from 111.

Bizarre ODI going on. Gayle's on 157 and the Windies still need another 133 to win from 111.
Jos Buttler is a proper Somerset lad. Remember seeing him the first time at the County Ground, you could tell he was going to be really special player from the way he was scoring.

So CWC is in 7 days who's excited? Apart from the usual god awful tournament format with too many dead rubbers for over a month....a tournament that starts on a Wednesday at 10:30am....oh yeah and 50 over Cricket is in its final death throes

Still off to Lords on Saturday to watch Somerset become permanent domestic one-day champions as the ECB are removing the tournament for their stupid 100 ball experiment which greatly reduces the acessability of Cricket which T20 was designed to promote...

I hate how Cricket is run.....

So CWC is in 7 days who's excited? Apart from the usual god awful tournament format with too many dead rubbers for over a month....a tournament that starts on a Wednesday at 10:30am....oh yeah and 50 over Cricket is in its final death throes

Still off to Lords on Saturday to watch Somerset become permanent domestic one-day champions as the ECB are removing the tournament for their stupid 100 ball experiment which greatly reduces the acessability of Cricket which T20 was designed to promote...

I hate how Cricket is run.....

Well I'm excited.

I think the change in format with this year's tournament will be a better move by the ICC where all the teams play against each other and there are A or B pool. Top 8 goes through to the QF's.

England and SA start things off... I'm very nervous.

Well I'm excited.

I think the change in format with this year's tournament will be a better move by the ICC where all the teams play against each other and there are A or B pool. Top 8 goes through to the QF's.

England and SA start things off... I'm very nervous.
No QF's so only top 4 go through to SF's. Which is actually a vast improvement on the group stages as games matter I still think they go too long and worry how long into it teams will have qualified thus just playing practice games. I'd rather two groups of 5 of which the top 2 go through.

I'd be ******** a brick playing England first up 7/4 favorites, India are a close second at 3/1, Australia 9/2 then it really starts drifting off at 9/1 for SA and NZ

Honestly I think any team can beat England the problem is you have to bowl them out if you let them bat the full 50 they will set an extremely hard total and they'll chase anything down. You don't beat this England team through batting. There can be no real doubt were the best ODI side in the world right now going the problem is we can be beaten and have been.

Seriously though who scheduled this tournament?

England's fixtures
Eng V SA - Wednesday 10:30
Eng V Pak - Monday 10:30
Eng V Bang - Saturday 10:30
Eng V WI - Friday 10:30
Eng V Afg - Tuesday 10:30
Eng V Aus - Tuesday 10:30
Eng V Ind - Sunday 10:30
Eng V NZ - Wednesday 10:30

So two matches that are not primarily during work hours and only one them with any juice in them. I'm technically off on 3rd June but I'm busy that day.

Bloody hell it gets worse the SF's are on Tuesday and Thursday....

Did they actually want Englishmen to watch the tournament being held in their own damn country?

Bloody hell it gets worse the SF's are on Tuesday and Thursday....

Did they actually want Englishmen to watch the tournament being held in their own damn country?
I would guess no, that the games are finishing at a good time for Indian tv audiences.

Any chance of any swing? That's nz' s only chance

I would guess no, that the games are finishing at a good time for Indian tv audiences.

Any chance of any swing? That's nz' s only chance
Its England, so yes but its also white ball cricket so the ball will swing for about 1 over.

The new batch of red ball Duke's are bloody lethal though.

Its England, so yes but its also white ball cricket so the ball will swing for about 1 over.

The new batch of red ball Duke's are bloody lethal though.
New Zealand is going to absolutely dominate this world cup, no other team has a Chance.* Engl and? Engl and who else? What army? Huh? Didn't think so.

*note, this only applies during the first over of new Zealand's bowling innings

Have to say did wonder between inning if we were under par. But yeah like I said have to bowl England out or their total will be competitive.

That Stokes catch was ridiculous.
Excellent start for England, they just seem so strong in every area.
Need to have an off day and the opponents to have a great day, or I can't see anyone beating them.

That Stokes catch was ridiculous.
Excellent start for England, they just seem so strong in every area.
Need to have an off day and the opponents to have a great day, or I can't see anyone beating them.

That was indeed an awesome catch!
I have to say, I wasn't that much bothered that we lost. It bothered me more that Amla got hurt, but then again, he hasn't been performing that well with the bat the last year. I thought we had a bit of a defeatist approach to the game. We selected Duminy in place of Miller, and we had Phehlukwayo and Pretorius play ahead of Morris. It just didn't make any sense.

It was an excellent catch think there was some hyperboyle its not even the best catch by an England player....

It was rather superb though and Stokes all-round performance stopped SA really. But thats the thing about this England side we heave several potential match winners and don't rely on one to two guys like most other sides.

so i got a subscription for the whole thing for like $10. My only exposure to cricket is my two months in South Africa and the Indians that use to play at my park in Virginia.

Probably going to root for SA or England so yesterday I didn't care.

It was an excellent catch think there was some hyperboyle its not even the best catch by an England player....

It was rather superb though and Stokes all-round performance stopped SA really. But thats the thing about this England side we heave several potential match winners and don't rely on one to two guys like most other sides.

Don't even need to watch the video to know what catch that is!

Agree that there's slight hyperbole about Stokes's catch (excellent though it was). Not as good as this badboy either...

I think it was the fact it wasn't expected. Collingwood you used to expect to catch anything hit on his side of the field.

On a side note, how rubbish are Pakistan at the moment?

They're so bad that they're almost guaranteed to pull off a freak win over England.

Windies could be in trouble as well, with Gayle putting his back out (not that he's exactly what you'd call mobile anyway)

I think it was the fact it wasn't expected. Collingwood you used to expect to catch anything hit on his side of the field.

On a side note, how rubbish are Pakistan at the moment?

They're so bad that they're almost guaranteed to pull off a freak win over England.

Windies could be in trouble as well, with Gayle putting his back out (not that he's exactly what you'd call mobile anyway)
Watching the highlights now, bizarre way to collapse. They were basically bounced out like it was a 70s Jamaican pitch ... at an overcast Trent Bridge in May. It didn't look quick they just seemed to bat appallingly.

3 wickets caught behind down the leg side, and if that wasn't bizarre enough, one of those was caught at first slip?! Talk about finding creative ways to get out...

so i got a subscription for the whole thing for like $10. My only exposure to cricket is my two months in South Africa and the Indians that use to play at my park in Virginia.

Probably going to root for SA or England so yesterday I didn't care.

Forgot to respond to this earlier ... if you thought rugby was a strange niche British-and-the-colonies sport watched by strange niche British-and-the-colonies people, cricket is going to absolutely blow your mind!

Like rugby, it does take some patience to try and understand if you haven't watched it your whole life, probably more so in fact. I played from about 5 years old until very recently and there's clearly plenty of others in here who know their stuff so please feel free to ask questions.

Last edited:
Watching the highlights now, bizarre way to collapse. They were basically bounced out like it was a 70s Jamaican pitch ... at an overcast Trent Bridge in May. It didn't look quick they just seemed to bat appallingly.

3 wickets caught behind down the leg side, and if that wasn't bizarre enough, one of those was caught at first slip?! Talk about finding creative ways to get out...

Forgot to respond to this earlier ... if you thought rugby was a strange niche British-and-the-colonies sport watched by strange niche British-and-the-colonies people, cricket is going to absolutely blow your mind!

Like rugby, it does take some patience to try and understand if you haven't watched it your whole life, probably more so in fact. I played from about 5 years old until very recently and there's clearly plenty of others in here who know their stuff so please feel free to ask questions.
Just mark it down to match fixing.

Latest posts