• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Crocodile rolls will be banned...

They've only brought in the change in the last month or so... so you probably wont have seen it reffed.

I've always felt it was one of the safer ways to get a guy out of there. Usually the one doing it ends up on his back and rolling the other guy over him and away from the ruck- relatively soft and painless every time it's happened to me. Unless you hit the ground somewhat hard but that happens ten times a game anyway. Yes a leg can get trapped like in the gif above, but that can happen in any tackle, ruck or scrum.

Oh, and I've always known it as a "gator roll" -wrong species, guys ;)

"can opener" because you peel the man off like a lid.

I agree, was watching someone teaching it the other day and I was just stood thinking "***** that could so easily go wrong", it's just a natural extension of the move the head move the man ethos.

I think it should be seen the same as lifting through the horizontal.

Nope... does make your jaw bigger though, the meat is tough as **** apparently.

Only if you get too close to the tail; it's almost just sinew around the tail. The tummy though is some of the best meat I've had with some dukkah spice; the texture of juicy chicken with a fishy, wildish taste.

I hope they don't ban it. That's how I ruck. Judo the prick.

haha, me too. I play in Canada and few people ever use the technique in the leagues I play in. Guys get so mad at me when I use the gator roll against them, lol

Last edited:
This is my assertion - Jutge has been very reactive to on-field incidents over the last year or two and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see it be nerfed.

I'm not basing it on what anyone official has said.

Last edited:
FlakyFearfulIndochinesetiger.gif

From that GIF if looks far from a typical roll either. Faletau looks to be at the side of the ruck, and rolls JDV back onto his own leg rather than off the to the side which would be the norm. Looks to me like one of those unfortunate instances where a few things go wrong at once. Seriously unfortunate but hardly a typical problem. It doesn't represent an inherent problem with the move in my mind.

From that GIF if looks far from a typical roll either. Faletau looks to be at the side of the ruck, and rolls JDV back onto his own leg rather than off the to the side which would be the norm. Looks to me like one of those unfortunate instances where a few things go wrong at once. Seriously unfortunate but hardly a typical problem. It doesn't represent an inherent problem with the move in my mind.

think it's a really bad challenge from TF, not intentional but he has no need to do what he does there........ such a shame for JDV, 8 months out. :(

Can we not turn this into a mud slinging contest about TF here now. No blame should be attached to him, a serious unfortunate accident.

Bit of a nonsense IMO.

My feelings have been stated by others. Around the head/neck? Absolutely. We play under the rule in rugby that the shoulders-up is totally off limits. People are likely to receive a neck injury that way than what JDV suffered when the arms get locked around the torso; his was just a freak accident imo.

Not really sure how this is consistent with promoting attacking rugby either. If a defender gets in a position where he is firmly over the ball, how the frick are you meant to move him? Because they're also cracking down on players charging into rucks at a trillion miles an hour to remove the defender who's trying to turn the ball over. Ben and Owen Franks both do this, cannon themselves into the defending team. Not sure about the NH, but in Super Rugby they've been cracking down on it.

I congratulate flankers, or any player who has get themselves into the proper position to turn the ball over. But pretty sure the attacking team should have a fair way to try and retain their ball. The alternative is rugby will just be turned into even more of a territory/set-piece/ type sport. Which, talking to my friends who don't follow it as closely as I do, is horrendously boring for an outsider. Knee jerk reaction I think.

Last edited:
We call them "gator rolls" or "saddle rolls". They should be banned. IMO, they should never have been allowed as a tactic in the first place

A soon as one player grabs an opponent, over the ball, that act forms a ruck....

[TEXTAREA]LAW 16 DEFINITIONS
A ruck is a phase of play where one or more players from each team, who are on
their feet, in physical contact, close around the ball on the ground. Open play has
ended.[/TEXTAREA]

If either player rolls the other one to ground, then that player has committed two infringments

► they have intentionally gone off their feet at the ruck

[TEXTAREA]16.3 RUCKING
(a) Players in a ruck must endeavour to stay on their feet.
Sanction: Penalty kick[/TEXTAREA]

► they have intentionally collapsed the ruck

[TEXTAREA]16.3 RUCKING
(c) A player must not intentionally collapse a ruck. This is dangerous play.

What used to happen at the ruck is for players to drive their opponents upwards and backwards to expose the ball. If they end up off their feet as a consequence that is OK because the intent is an upward driving motion action. In a saddle roll, the intent is always to be bring the opponent down.

Isn't it law that head and shoulders can't be below hips? IRB needs to actually start refereeing the rucks first.

We call them "gator rolls" or "saddle rolls". They should be banned. IMO, they should never have been allowed as a tactic in the first place

A soon as one player grabs an opponent, over the ball, that act forms a ruck....

[TEXTAREA]LAW 16 DEFINITIONS
A ruck is a phase of play where one or more players from each team, who are on
their feet, in physical contact, close around the ball on the ground. Open play has
ended.[/TEXTAREA]

If either player rolls the other one to ground, then that player has committed two infringments

► they have intentionally gone off their feet at the ruck

[TEXTAREA]16.3 RUCKING
(a) Players in a ruck must endeavour to stay on their feet.

► they have intentionally collapsed the ruck

[TEXTAREA]16.3 RUCKING
(c) A player must not intentionally collapse a ruck. This is dangerous play.

What used to happen at the ruck is for players to drive their opponents upwards and backwards to expose the ball. If they end up off their feet as a consequence that is OK because the intent is an upward driving motion action. In a saddle roll, the intent is always to be bring the opponent down.

Surely under that interpretation cookie, the only way to clear a ruck is by driving forward and up. I don't believe it is collapsing the ruck as it only removes one player, out of the ruck. By the time the clearer is off his feet, both players by necessity are no longer in the ruck (so it hasn't prevented a contest for the ball). How is this diferent from blowing over? I also don't see how its any more dangerous. When done properly, the player attempting the role end up on the borron of the other. The many times I do it, I'm more likely to get a sneaky elbow to the head than injure the other guy.

Last edited:
I congratulate flankers, or any player who has get themselves into the proper position to turn the ball over. But pretty sure the attacking team should have a fair way to try and retain their ball. The alternative is rugby will just be turned into even more of a territory/set-piece/ type sport. Which, talking to my friends who don't follow it as closely as I do, is horrendously boring for an outsider. Knee jerk reaction I think.

This. As things stand, the balance is pretty good, but as we've seen, give the defending player too much of an advantage and teams become afraid to play. Nevermind horrendously boring for an outsider, it's horrendously boring for many a dedicated fan as well.

p.s. if banning them as illegal by strict intepretation of the law, surely virtually almost every jackal is strictly illegal to begin with due to having shoulders below their hips?

Latest posts