• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Curse of the Grand Slam strikes again!

M

Macsen

Any chance of Wales giving South Africa a decent game seems to be over with Martyn Williams, Lee Byrne, Dwayne Peel, Mike Phillips, Sonny Parker and Gavin Henson all out due to injury.

Gatland said he wouldn't take a second team but looks like the decision has been made for him. :(

With some South African players on strike its not as if South Africa is having it their own way to be honest.

Then again, Bok fans this time simply can't turn around and say that Wales haven't made the effort, Wales will bring their strongest squad, even if they all arrive on Hospital beds...

It was always on the cards, Henson and Martyn Williams are probably the biggest losses from the squad.

Here's hoping for players to stand up and play!

Can't see us winning with a third choice scrum-half and Sonny Parker on the field. Lee Byrne will be a massive loss aswell, and who's gonna be back-up to Martyn Williams? After this, I think a fairer contest will be in the Autumn, where hopefully we'll have a full-strength squad for the tests.

Top 2 scrum halves are out, what a pain. Any chance of luring Alfie out of retirement like they did with Martyn Williams?

*says while polishing TRF International Shield*
I hope Shane Williams stays fit, I wanna see Chavhanga burn him atleast once. If Chavhanga is back from injury by then that is

Top 2 scrum halves are out, what a pain. Any chance of luring Alfie out of retirement like they did with Martyn Williams?
[/b]
I believe we'd be better off without that prat.

I hope Shane Williams stays fit, I wanna see Chavhanga burn him atleast once. If Chavhanga is back from injury by then that is [/b]

:lol: this post and others generally sum up the state of this tour right now.

If *insert player here* is fit, it'd be great to see him take on *insert player here*...if he's fit to play of course...maybe Wales & South Africa should just have them roll around on wheelchairs?

:lol: this post and others generally sum up the state of this tour right now.

If *insert player here* is fit, it'd be great to see him take on *insert player here*...if he's fit to play of course...maybe Wales & South Africa should just have them roll around on wheelchairs?
[/b]
I guess that both teams are so **** scared of playing each other, without each other knowing it, they're making up stories of injuries and illnesses so when they compete it will be a watered down match; so the loser (South Africa of course) will have a decent excuse for the media. ;)

Haha, unlike there in Wales here in SA no excuse is ever good enough when rugby is concerned. Plus the hobbit would of been the 1st player out the door ;)

Haha, unlike there in Wales here in SA no excuse is ever good enough when rugby is concerned. Plus the hobbit would of been the 1st player out the door ;)

Missing Phillips and Peel is going to be a huge problem for us, but to be fair, Andy Williams is a decent player, probably one of the few decent players the Dragons have had this season. Martyn Williams is a big blow as well, Sowden-Taylor is out as well (that's not really the end of the world though...) so I guess it gives us a chance to see how Ben Lewis does as an international 7.
No idea who's going to play 12 for us, was gonna say Lee Thomas, but his brother told me last week that he's been banned for 14 weeks for punching somebody (and knocking a few teeth out in the process) so he's out of the equation. And no, seriously, keep Alfie well away from the Welsh team. The guy is well past his best, and hasn't exactly been fantastic for the Blues this season, apart from a few decent performances. At least we still have Jones and Hook, so at least there's still some of the key grandslammers left.
Is it just me, or is there a feeling I've just put the kiss of death on that?

I am genuinely sorry about so many of Wales' first choices not being available, it would've been a cracker.
OTOH I'm not sure the Boks will be at their best either:
- new coach: Pieter de Villiers was never my first choice, though I think he will do a decent job (as in, he's capable, but wasn't the best on offer). He just needs to keep his optimistic talk down a little and get down to business.
- Additionally he shouldn't have a quota based either on race (not sure whether he's as unbiased as he should be) or location (capping overseas-based players to 3, when 4 of them are definite first choices). I suspect PdV might, for example, choose Jantjies over Montgomery. While Jantjies oozes class, I reckon it'll be another year before he overtakes Percy, assuming all goes well for him.
- most players used to the ELVs: could lead to confusion, don't know, never played with ELVs myself.
- and, yes, the Boks also have some injuries, though not as many.

All in all I think the Boks will take every single game, but none of them will be as easy as many of my fellow saffas think.
And I wasn't so confident after the 6N.
Still, looking forward to some serious challenges to prepare us for the Tri-Nations :)
All the best to the Welsh fans!

I dunno guys, wheelchair rugby looks pretty awesome...

250px-Wheelchair_rugby_game_2.jpg

Missing Phillips and Peel is going to be a huge problem for us, but to be fair, Andy Williams is a decent player, probably one of the few decent players the Dragons have had this season. Martyn Williams is a big blow as well, Sowden-Taylor is out as well (that's not really the end of the world though...) so I guess it gives us a chance to see how Ben Lewis does as an international 7.
No idea who's going to play 12 for us, was gonna say Lee Thomas, but his brother told me last week that he's been banned for 14 weeks for punching somebody (and knocking a few teeth out in the process) so he's out of the equation. And no, seriously, keep Alfie well away from the Welsh team. The guy is well past his best, and hasn't exactly been fantastic for the Blues this season, apart from a few decent performances. At least we still have Jones and Hook, so at least there's still some of the key grandslammers left.
Is it just me, or is there a feeling I've just put the kiss of death on that?
[/b]

I just wonder does Lee Thomas know he might have thrown his ideal Wales chance away?

Have we called up Ben Lewis?

I don't see Ben Lewis starting against the Boks, I can see one of Dafydd Jones or Jonathon Thomas to move to the openside, though both are natural blindsides. Both have played in the 7 jersey before, and think at this time, will be better options than Ben Lewis. Lewis should still go on tour and get some game time.

The 12 position is a huge problem, I hope Gatland doesn't go for a Parker-Shanklin midfield again, or for that matter a Jones-Hook partership (though Hook 10, Jones 12 might work). I personally think Bishop should come in. He's performed pretty well as a replacement for Henson in the O's colours, and mayb Gatland can get more outta him again. At least he won't let you down deffensively, as he's possibly even better than Henson in that aspect of the game. Lee Thomas would have been the ideal replacement, but that's now a no starter.

Scrum half shouldn't be a huge problam, Adny Williams is capable, and will find it easier behind a better pack than the Dragons.

Full back will be interesting. It'll be between Stoddard and Jamie Roberts. Do you go for the all out attacking genius that Stoddard is, or for the safer (though still dangerous) Roberts. I'm just worried that Stoddard isn't quite up to it, deffensively or positional, therefore I'd go for Jamie Roberts.

Is that the way other see it?

Edit. Apparently, Charvis might be in line for a recall. As long as he's still fit enough, fine by me.

I don't see Ben Lewis starting against the Boks, I can see one of Dafydd Jones or Jonathon Thomas to move to the openside, though both are natural blindsides. Both have played in the 7 jersey before, and think at this time, will be better options than Ben Lewis. Lewis should still go on tour and get some game time.

The 12 position is a huge problem, I hope Gatland doesn't go for a Parker-Shanklin midfield again, or for that matter a Jones-Hook partership (though Hook 10, Jones 12 might work). I personally think Bishop should come in. He's performed pretty well as a replacement for Henson in the O's colours, and mayb Gatland can get more outta him again. At least he won't let you down deffensively, as he's possibly even better than Henson in that aspect of the game. Lee Thomas would have been the ideal replacement, but that's now a no starter.

Scrum half shouldn't be a huge problam, Adny Williams is capable, and will find it easier behind a better pack than the Dragons.

Full back will be interesting. It'll be between Stoddard and Jamie Roberts. Do you go for the all out attacking genius that Stoddard is, or for the safer (though still dangerous) Roberts. I'm just worried that Stoddard isn't quite up to it, deffensively or positional, therefore I'd go for Jamie Roberts.

Is that the way other see it?

Edit. Apparently, Charvis might be in line for a recall. As long as he's still fit enough, fine by me. [/b]

Ben Lewis is not out for 6 months because of knee surgery!

Massive blow in my opinion, he looks a great talent for the future, surley Wales must recall big Col Charvis!