• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Damian Mckenzie called up into ABs squad

I reckon he's merely a squad member. It'll be Dagg to 15 with Naholo or Savea coming in on the wing

I reckon he's merely a squad member. It'll be Dagg to 15 with Naholo or Savea coming in on the wing
Dagg has a boot and is good under the high ball alright. But he's better-suited on the right wing. Naholo as a bench option to cover for the wings, Rieko to stay at 11 is what I expect. Would like to see Jordie come on the bench as a trump card to cover midfielders and outside backs altogether but it's a bit too early I suppose. Hansen still has a fair bit of depth between J. Barrett, Mckenzie, Laumape and Goodhue

Dagg has a boot and is good under the high ball alright. But he's better-suited on the right wing. Naholo as a bench option to cover for the wings, Rieko to stay at 11 is what I expect. Would like to see Jordie come on the bench as a trump card to cover midfielders and outside backs altogether but it's a bit too early I suppose. Hansen still has a fair bit of depth between J. Barrett, Mckenzie, Laumape and Goodhue
Who at 15 then? Dmac?

Beauden most probably even though I'd like him to stay at five eighth.

However, knowing Hansen and his knack for counter-intuitive selections, he might go for Jordie at fullback. Well I don't know anymore lol

Absolutely.
For me Dagg is the next best FB option, and it makes the most sense putting him there considering the quality we have to bring onto the wing.
I'd like to see 11. Savea 14. Ioane 15. Dagg
But given that Savea is playing for the Canes, it'll probs be Naholo ahead of Savea, with the Canes boys all coming in for the 3rd test (assuming we win the 2nd).
I don't think putting either of the Barrett's at 15 is necessary or smart and, though I wouldn't mind it, I highly doubt we'll see Dmac there given he wasn't a part of the initial squad.
We'll see, but I'm 90% confident Dagg will go to fullback and I'll be happy with that.

Absolutely.
For me Dagg is the next best FB option, and it makes the most sense putting him there considering the quality we have to bring onto the wing.
I'd like to see 11. Savea 14. Ioane 15. Dagg
But given that Savea is playing for the Canes, it'll probs be Naholo ahead of Savea, with the Canes boys all coming in for the 3rd test (assuming we win the 2nd).
I don't think putting either of the Barrett's at 15 is necessary or smart and, though I wouldn't mind it, I highly doubt we'll see Dmac there given he wasn't a part of the initial squad.
We'll see, but I'm 90% confident Dagg will go to fullback and I'll be happy with that.
Savea as a 14?? Sorry but I don't subscribe to that point of view! :p
Savea doesn't look for work and wouldn't be able to create breaches in the Lions defense like Nehe or even Dagg would. His offloading game is pretty poor so in the best situation, he can only crashball and try open larger spaces out wide for other players to inject themselves in. He pretty much does the same job as his brother Ardie on attack when he wants to get busy: He runs into the defense.
The problem is... He is no flanker or number 8. His job is not to carry the ball hard on the inside channels. He would be more useful if he had pace, a step and a proper rugby brain to know where he should position himself on attack or on defense. I never saw him vary his running angles, it's just about following a straight line down the touch line and fingers crossed for the ball to reach his hands. Then he can smash the scrambling defenders like he wants, that's (partly) a left winger's job. But he can't involve himself in a global strategy cleverly enough to be considered at 14. I'd feel much safer if we put Dagg there, or even Naholo.

Dagg will be 15.
Julian Savea is most likely to be the replacement winger. Not my choice.
I'd like to see Naholo or even Nehe.
However, this is Hansen and the AB's.
Look at Savea's tries against number of games stats and it gets very difficult to argue with his selection.

Overdue in my opinion. As a neutral comparing the treatment of ALB and Damian McKenzie in their respective positions I'm left scratching my head.

Both have arguably been in the top 3 club performers in the world in their respective positions for the past two seasons. Yet one is welcomed into the fold and the other is subjected to repeat nonsense about "not being tall enough" (taller than Halfpenny and in no way exposed defensively in SR, unlike Jordie) and repeatedly made to try and be a flyhalf (and judged when played out of position). He's what, 22? Loads of potential upside in an already top quality performer.

It's probably the only thing I'd disagree with that I've seen from Hansen. The kid will end up joining the Chiefs exodus if he has any common sense.

The only justification I can think of was if Mckenzie was at the centre of the Chiefs molesting the lap dancer incident. But then Aaron has been quickly rehabilitated for similarly sullying the character of rugby.

Add in that Ben and Dagg are ageing and arguably are going to decline and/or be more prone to injury come the RWC and the failure to fully incorporate Mckenzie and respect him as a fullback becomes a real headscratcher to me.

Dagg back to 15 and Naholo in to 14 for me

That would be a scary prospect for any opponent. Outright speed on both wings, and a full back with a huge boot.

Starting backs?

9 Aaron Smith,
10 Beauden Barrett,
12 SBW,
13 Anton Leinert-Brown
11 Reiko Ioane
14 Waisake Naholo
15 Israel Dagg

Maybe you should re-read my comment :) Savea at 14 is the last thing I'd want to see lol
Oh blimey yes, I read it a bit too quickly, my bad!

But still, I think Savea could become a liability against the Lions. They have been developing a very tight and structured defense and don't give away lots of spaces to work with out wide. I prefer to keep Rieko at 11, maybe put Naholo on the right wing because he's bringing the extra man on attack and is a decent defender.
Savea doesn't know where he should go on defense without a clever backline operator such as Crotty. He began to really struggle in that area when Snakey was off to France. I get the feeling that the Lions will be targeting his channel if he starts next Saturday. It makes me feel uneasy.

Last edited:
In Shag we trust
Overdue in my opinion. As a neutral comparing the treatment of ALB and Damian McKenzie in their respective positions I'm left scratching my head.

Both have arguably been in the top 3 club performers in the world in their respective positions for the past two seasons. Yet one is welcomed into the fold and the other is subjected to repeat nonsense about "not being tall enough" (taller than Halfpenny and in no way exposed defensively in SR, unlike Jordie) and repeatedly made to try and be a flyhalf (and judged when played out of position). He's what, 22? Loads of potential upside in an already top quality performer.

It's probably the only thing I'd disagree with that I've seen from Hansen. The kid will end up joining the Chiefs exodus if he has any common sense.

The only justification I can think of was if Mckenzie was at the centre of the Chiefs molesting the lap dancer incident. But then Aaron has been quickly rehabilitated for similarly sullying the character of rugby.

Add in that Ben and Dagg are ageing and arguably are going to decline and/or be more prone to injury come the RWC and the failure to fully incorporate Mckenzie and respect him as a fullback becomes a real headscratcher to me.

Oh blimey yes, I read it a bit too quickly, my bad!

But still, I think Savea could become a liability against the Lions. They have been developing a very tight and structured defense and don't give away lots of spaces to work with out wide. I prefer to keep Rieko at 11, maybe put Naholo on the right wing because he's bringing the extra man on attack and is a decent defender.
Savea doesn't know where he should go on defense without a clever backline operator such as Crotty. He began to really struggle in that area when Snakey was off to France. I get the feeling that the Lions will be targeting his channel if he starts next Saturday. It makes me feel uneasy.
Seriously doubt any attack would look to target Savea's wing. He's not in his best form and is far from the form NZ winger, but even in that poor form is still far better than anyone the rest of the world has to offer. I really can't imagine him struggling much.

I think the favored option is going to be to move barrett back to 15 and start Cruden at 10.

I wouldn't move Dagg to 15, he struggled at 15 for years and moving to 14 revived his career. he has a very different role at 14 and it works.

It is interesting that McKenzie has been drafted into the squad. usually when they do that there is a good chance he will actually play.

I actually look at this last game and the way the AB pack got front foot ball and got the Lions defense back on its heals created situations dmac would thrive in.

Its going to be interesting to see who gets those last 2 bench spots. Could be McKenzie or Sopoaga maybe Naholo. In the past Naholo is a guy who has been seen as midfield cover. And hes a genuine weapon.

I think Kiwis want to see dmac selected because its really just a matter of time till he has a performance much like he does for the chiefs each week.

Last edited:
Keeping BB at 15 and Cruden at 10 would give ABs more options on the bench - Naholo and maybe Laumape covering the 22 and 23 shirts which covers 12,13 and both wing spots. That is a pretty frightening prospect for the Lions.

Latest posts