• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Difference Between SA Schools and SA Schools Academy teams?

MurrayKinsella

Academy Player
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Munster
Hi guys,

Can anyone tell me what the difference between the South African Schools Team and the South African Schools Academy team is?

What are the selection criteria for each? Do the Academy guys have to be attached to a Super Rugby outfit?

Thanks in advance if anyone can explain it to me!

South African Schools team are picked of guys that went to the Craven Week, which is the provincial championships for high schools combined in a province. The SA Schools team are the best players at the Craven week and most of them go to the Baby Boks squad...

The academy team are basically a "B" team, with guys not picked for the Schools team, but most of the guys selected for the academy team are from previously disadvantaged regions, and are more selected on race, and not always necesarily on talent

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Thanks very much Heineken. I was just wondering as Munster's new signing CJ Stander captained both sides in consecutive years. I see you're a Bulls fan, what's your opinion on Stander? Have we bagged a good player? I've only seen him play twice this season, he didn't stand out too much but showed promising signs.

He's brilliant! One of the strongest runners with the ball in the Bulls team, and that says a lot, good line-out jumper and his tackling is also good... Makes at times stupid mistakes, but that's due to inexperience... Certainly a future Springbok, and as I've mentioned in other threads, could even become Springbok Captain.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

He's brilliant! One of the strongest runners with the ball in the Bulls team, and that says a lot, good line-out jumper and his tackling is also good... Makes at times stupid mistakes, but that's due to inexperience... Certainly a future Springbok, and as I've mentioned in other threads, could even become Springbok Captain.

Sounds good for us so! I'm watching the Cheetahs game right now and I can see what you mean by the stupid mistakes, silly penalty about ten minutes ago for not rolling away. The other two games I watched, he was at 6 and 7, but he looks like a natural No.8 to me? An exciting signing for Munster definitely.

He was the captain of the South African Schools team in 2008 and SA Under 20 in 2010.

2011 – Vodacom Blue Bulls Currie Cup, Vodacom Blue Bulls Vodacom Cup
2010 – Vodacom Blue Bulls Vodacom Cup,SA u.20 IRB Junior World Cup (Captain)
2009 – SA U.20 IRB Junior World Cup,Vodacom Blue Bulls u.19 & u.21
2008 – SWD Schools Craven Week, SA Schools 2008 (Captain)
2007 – SWD Schools Craven Week, SA Schools Academy
2006 – SWD Schools Craven Week

He was the captain of the South African Schools team in 2008 and SA Under 20 in 2010.

2011 â€" Vodacom Blue Bulls Currie Cup, Vodacom Blue Bulls Vodacom Cup
2010 â€" Vodacom Blue Bulls Vodacom Cup,SA u.20 IRB Junior World Cup (Captain)
2009 â€" SA U.20 IRB Junior World Cup,Vodacom Blue Bulls u.19 & u.21
2008 â€" SWD Schools Craven Week, SA Schools 2008 (Captain)
2007 â€" SWD Schools Craven Week, SA Schools Academy
2006 â€" SWD Schools Craven Week

Thanks very much for all the info! Sounds like we've made a super signing. Annoying that we have to wait until November 'till he comes over though...

Latest posts