• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Discuss Your Team's Prospects

W

Wally

Now the tour is over we can all look forward to the start of the Super 14.

In all serious I think the Tahs will win it. While the Crusaders and Blues will both have great sides, so will the boys down south. I think it would be great not only for the game here but also for the Super 14 if the grand final were to be played infront of 80, 000 people in Sydney. I'm sure everyone is sick of it being played in crappy bogan stadiums across the ditch.

I know everyone down plays the Reds. Hell, even Wally was starting to give up hope on them of having a good season next year but I've recently had a think about it and I think it is possible for them to do okay. They've got a new establishment with experienced high performance advisers and all the rest. We've also got one of the world's premiere scrum doctors in Alec Evans on board.

Take a look at the Queensland Reds of 2006...

1. Greg Holmes
2. Stephen Moore
3. Rodney Blake

Australia's best young front row with plenty of potential. Alec Evans' magic will be put to good use here.

4. Hugh McMeninman
5. Mark Connors

A present Wallaby and Australia's best up and coming lock. Mark Connors is a former established Wallaby over flowing with experience now that he's back from the northern hemisphere.

6. Tom McVerry / James Sua
7. David Croft
8. John Roe

A solid backrow without being outstanding. Croft is Australia's best ball pincher after Smith and Waugh. Sua is a faster version of Jerry Collins who can score tries from anywhere.

9. Sam Cordingley
10. Elton Flatley

Australia's most experienced halves combo after Gregan and Larkham whom will make sure this young Reds team doesn't crumble under the pressure they will receive next season both on and off the field. They're both former Wallabies and Cordingley was Gregan's under study before Whittaker.

11. Ben Tune
12. Berrick Barnes
13. Lloyd Johansson
14. Drew Mitchell
15. Chris Latham

That's a great backline whichever way you look at it. No Sailor this year but hopefully a fit Ben Tune will fill his shoes and more. We all know what Mitchell, Johansson and Latham can do. For those of you who don't know, Barnes was a fringe player with the Brisbane Broncos this year (he'll be 20 or 21 next year).

There is hope yet for us Queenslanders. As long as we beat New South Wales in the first round and Sailor gets embarrassed all will be sweet. **** that game will be massive! Now I want bacon. Bye.

If that backline stays fit(which is very unlikely with guys like Tune and Flatley in it) they should suprise alot of ppl

dont know about this barnes guy maybe there better off with huxley in the starting team.

Well i'm expecting a good season from the chiefs this year, a few nice recruits. Although i'm not expecting them to deliver.

Preferred option first:

1. Davison/Toleafoa
2. Lutui/Willis
3. Castle/Manu

Not the best front row in the world, but good none the less.

4. Gibbes/Upton
5. Honneck

Not bad options here, but not world class

6. Lauaki/Messam
7. Holah/Latu
8. Bates

Now thats a pretty good loose trio - Damaging runners + Marty in their to poach

9. Kelleher/Nutbrown
10. Donald

Solid, Doland has to produce though

11. Sivivatu/Tahana
12. Tuitupou/Hill
13. Ta'auso/Ranby
14. Anesi/Masaga
15. Mils/Chichton

Thats a hell of a backline if i may say so... If on form we will be a top runner for sure. So much potentiol and more AB's will be real good for the team.

The Chiefs backrow should be awesome and their backline will have a lot of fire power. Why did Mils leave Auckland?

Hi Wally,

But what happens when some of your first XV players get injured? Who do you have to cover for them when they get injured? Anyone? Someone? No-one?

No depth.

Originally posted by umosay@Nov 29 2005, 01:15 AM
Not bad options here, but not world class
heh, that sums up waikato pritty well
<

blues:
1) woodcock
2) mealamu
3) mr T / afoa

very very good frount row.

4) rawlenson/flavel/haui/macdonald
5) a williams

lots of quallity depth in the locking depo.

6) kaino/flavel
7) flavel/braid
8) n williams/kaino/macdonald

also alot of up and comming talent here - along with some experiance with flavel and braid.

9) devine/moa/that harbor one which i cant recall

not so good in scrum half, not bad either

10) lavea/mcallister
12) mcallister/tupoki
13) tupoki © / tuitavaki

good inside backs - all linebreakers, with mcallister playing outside of lavea, this will mean that lavea wont have to kick, so hopefully he can improve even further on the 2nd half of his npc, which i thought wasnt half bad.

11) rokococo
14) howlett
15) ward

and then on the bench you have all the players who have been /'ed and also collins and toeava

its just the captancy that will change my team around. i think that tupoki did a awesome job captaining harbor, and i dont really rate colins that highly. it all depends on what they do with lavea. mcallister should be at 2nd 5/8, but for the best lineup, he needs to be at 1st. ideally it should be 10) mcallister 12) tupoki and 13) tuitavaki - but for some reason, auckland tries to stick with lavea

oh and blues to be in the top 2. along with canturbury, brumbies and tahs. 1) blues 2) canturbury 3) tahs 4) brumbies, and then a blues tahs final.

Originally posted by BigTen@Nov 29 2005, 01:36 AM
Hi Wally,

But what happens when some of your first XV players get injured?  Who do you have to cover for them when they get injured?  Anyone?  Someone?  No-one?

No depth.
We'd be f@#ked if there were injuries in key positions - except for maybe halfback, flyhalf, centre or wing. Valentine, Huxley, Kefu and Hynes / Veratau would all do a solid job. We basically have no depth in the forwards though, they're all young blokes.

Woops, just assumed he was.

Also Moa isn't in the Blues sambad, its Gibson. Must admit that blues team will be bloody hard to stop.

sambad, may i remind you about the last 2 chiefs blues encounters?
<

Originally posted by umosay@Nov 29 2005, 02:00 PM

Also Moa isn't in the Blues sambad, its Gibson. Must admit that blues team will be bloody hard to stop.

<
no you may not.

1. Bill Young
2. Jeremy Paul
3. Nic Henderson

This is a strong front row with enough experience. I doubt we'll have much trouble against others in this area.

4. Al Campbell
5. Mark Chisholm

Both have played for wallabies and are good with ball in hand. Should give other teams problems in the lineout as well.

6. Dan Heenan
7. George Smith
8. Jone Tawake

Smithy can do all sorts of things and will again be dangerous, Heenan's another lineout option and Jone Tawake is big and robust but can also handle the ball briliantly.

9. Luke Burgess
10. Stephen Larkham

I think it is time we give Geogre a break and bring in a talented young gun - Burgess has a similar style of play to Hennners which should be effective in this new comp, while Larkham can direct the backs expertly if at full strength. Should Bernie get injured we only have a few options though.

12. Matt Giteau
13. Stirling Mortlock ©

Arguably one of the greatest centre pairings in the S14 - it is a pity they couldn't play together on tour. Giteau will excel, while Mortlock will continually find opportunities to impress and he is definately a shot at Wallabies captaincy next year.

11. Mark Gerrard
14. Clyde Rathbone
15. Adam Ashley-Cooper

This is a great back three. Both fast and strong and they come with some kicking talent as well. Should blow a lot of teams away.

Sheperdson
Palavi
Wallace-Harrison
Samo
Gregan
Owens
Gene Fairbanks

Some young players and some with experience. Most will make an impact and I expect Peter Owens to become the next Mitch Hardy - A great Wallaby super-sub.

A team that can achieve next year, but will certainly have to improve dramatically on last season to stick it with the great kiwi teams again.

I feel another ***le coming on.

1. McDonell
2. Hore
3. Tialata
All three have test experience. Tialata showed great scrumaging skill vs Wales.

4. ***o / Andrews / Kennedy
5. Eaton
Eaton is fantastic, other locks are a bit poor but good enough to secure us ball.

6. Collins
7. Masoe
8. So'oialo
The AB trio used vs England. Best trio in the S14 by a mile

9. Weepu
10. Gopperth
Weepu is coming along great, Gopperth has all the skills to guide us and handle pressure

12. Umaga
13. Smith
Proven centre combination

11. Nonu
14. Fa'atau
15. Toeava
Internationals, all class. Toeava not so good but should be ok. Paku to replace him if he can't hack it.

and sambad kaino is gone from the super 14 hes out injured with a shoulder injury. also moa didn't make the blues gibson did. I think the blues should go well especially with mcAlister likely to be the 12.

Originally posted by umosay@Nov 29 2005, 02:00 PM

<
only if you tell me who has won it more times, who does better almost every year, and has the most all blacks in it.

aah why did gibson get in and moa not? moa had awesome season.

and kaino - i guess he isnt that much of a loss in the scheme of the season. we still have about 8 other quallity loosies

Originally posted by Jacko@Nov 29 2005, 06:39 PM
4. Al Campbell
5. Mark Chisholm.
Surely Radike Samo will be back next year. He's too good to not play Super 14.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
12. Matt Giteau
13. Stirling Mortlock ©

Arguably one of the greatest centre pairings in the S14 - it is a pity they couldn't play together on tour. Giteau will excel, while Mortlock will continually find opportunities to impress and he is definately a shot at Wallabies captaincy next year.[/b]
In order to gain captaincy I thought you actually had to be in the team. Old Morty won't maked it passed the squad next year I'm afraid - why would he when we have young guns like Rathbone and Tuqiri.

Originally posted by Wally+Nov 30 2005, 11:35 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wally @ Nov 30 2005, 11:35 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-sambad5
@Nov 30 2005, 10:01 AM
we still have about 8 other quallity loosies
Bullshit. [/b]
lol i didnt actually mean we had eight other good as loosies, but weve got alot.

williams, braid, macdonald, flavel, collins

Originally posted by ..::ERIC::..@Nov 29 2005, 07:58 PM
11. Nonu
14. Fa'atau
15. Toeava
Internationals, all class. Toeava not so good but should be ok. Paku to replace him if he can't hack it.
I really think your being tough on Toeava after his 1 AB game. He wasn't under 19 player of the year for nothing - this guy will be a star, also his favoured position is 12.

He put in some nice touches in the weekend but S14 will be his game.

one person who i do want to keep a eye on though is Isa Nacewa. hes not eligable for the all blacks, but hes fijis answer to toeava. he can play everywhere in the backline, 10-15. when lavea got injured in the final was it? - he filled in at five eight, and didnt play too badly at all.

Latest posts