• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Does Africa deserve a second spot in RWC

Is that a serious question? You know ALL teams ending top 3 in each pool gets automatic qualification, right? That is a pretty effective way to get a large portion of qualification sorted and you can be relatively sure these 12 teams would be in a merit top 20 in any case. If you want to stamp out injustice, get rid of the skewed fixtures ITO turn around times the 'lesser' teams have to deal with at RWCs.

Ag, enough with the Afropessimism. Namibia is a cool guy. In 1995 Japan shipped 145 point to NZ. Now they are respectable. Namibia had a shocker and shipped 142 to Aus in 2003 but have improved. Maybe if they have another 8 years they too could get to be respectable.

But don't go toss a whole continent for what? A team that might lose by 50 instead of 60? What would be the point?

No dude, it was a joke...of course I wasn't being serious, what were you thinking ! :p
And "Now they are respectable" ? Dude, they just took like 80 and 90 to SA and Wales last time and managed 7 points, 1 try against Wales in those two meetings, that's it.

"Maybe if they have another 8 years they too could get to be respectable."
well what in the world makes you say that ? How about this: probably in 8 years they'll show the exact same kind of results and most definitely won't win a single game.

Naaahh...I'm done discussing Namibia. Keep em if you want, IRB, nobody really cares anyway...

For me it is very simple, The Americas- yes, I do group N and S together- have, beyond Argentina- 2 spots set aside. That is for two continents with a COMBINED 16 sovereign countries.

You are arguing for Africa to lose its 1 reserved spot. I repeat 1 spot (beyond SA who gets in automatic) for a continent with 44 sovereign countries.
For me that just doesn't add up.

I agree, countries like Spain, Romania and Uruguay are better teams, I can't argue, but then if Namibia as Africa1 loses its spot, let all reserved spots fall away and make it a merit only tournament which I might add will be just as subjective.

There are 23 countries in North America and the Caribbean along with 22 dependicies and 13 countries in South America along with 3 dependicies.

The IRB is like FIFA not like the IOC you don't have to be a sovereign state to participate, which is why Wales, Scotland, Hong Kong, et al. are members, whereas in the Olympics, Wales and Scotland have to participate as part of the United Kingdom team for example.

CONSUR(South and Central America) has full membership for

Argentina
Uruguay
Chile
Brazil
Paraguay
Peru
Venezuela
Colombia

Associate members (that as of now can't qualify for a RWC but may be eligible in the future)

Guatemala
Costa Rica
Ecuador
El Salvador

In NACRA (North and Caribbean America's)

Canada
United States
Mexico
Bermuda
Trinidad and Tobago
Jamaica
Bahamas
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Guyana
St. Vincent and the Grenadines

Associate members of the IRB

British Virgin Islands
St. Lucia

Afiiliated with IRB (Both areas are eligible to play for the French National side)

Guadeloupe
Martinique

Members not affiliated with IRB

Dominican Republic
St. Kitts and Nevis
Turks and Caicos Islands

The Confederation of African Rugby actually has less full members than we do with only 16.

Full Members

Botswana
Cameroon
Ivory Coast
Kenya
Madagascar
Mauritius
Morocco
Namibia
Nigeria
Senegal
South Africa
Swaziland
Tunisia
Uganda
Zambia
Zimbabwe

Associate Members

Burundi
Ghana
Mali
Mauritania
Rwanda
Tanzania
Togo

Members are affiliated with the IRB (Again eligible for France)

Mayotte *
Réunion *

Members are not affiliated with the IRB

Algeria
Benin
Burkina Faso
Central Africa
Chad
Congo
DR Congo
Egypt
Gabon
Libya
Niger
Seychelles

Last edited:
Fine, **** 'em.

hahahah !...
aaaaaah, there we go buddy !!! I knew you'd come to your senses :D

I can just see the situation: you're the only one on the ship who protects this guy and objects to seeing him 'walk the plank', and you battle vigorously for an hour of argumentation and all...and then, someone gives you a witty argument and you just go........"ahhh, wtvr...fukk 'em !!" BAM he's off the ship.

hahahah !...
aaaaaah, there we go buddy !!! I knew you'd come to your senses :D

I can just see the situation: you're the only one on the ship who protects this guy and objects to seeing him 'walk the plank', and you battle vigorously for an hour of argumentation and all...and then, someone gives you a witty argument and you just go........"ahhh, wtvr...fukk 'em !!" BAM he's off the ship.

If you can't beat them..

My dear friends who make "Everybody against Namibia festival" if Namibia can't improve it's because namibian championship quality is low,and also if they want to create a franchise to enter in a high level competition they aren't allowed to do it because "They're sons of a minor god and have no rights to take part to important competitions"

Last edited:
Well Heinz Koll scored a couple of sweet tries vs Fiji and Wales in RWC '11 and was worth Namibia's inclusion on his own. watch this from 8 mins and 9 seconds onwards.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts