• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Does wearing protective gear make you a lesser player?

M.C.I.

Academy Player
Hello all,

I am new to this forum, but there is something that is bugging me.
Maybe this is the place to get an honest answer.

I have 2 children who both play Rugby (union) in New Zealand.
One girl who is 10 years old and one boy who is 12 years old.

Both play as a back and both wear the "Force XV Tribal rugby body protection" and when it is a wet day they both wear gloves.
For the girl this is no problem. More kids of her team wear protection.

My boy however is getting told off and is called a "Woosh" even by his coach of wearing protection.
Yesterday at training it was raining, the ball was wet and he wanted to wear his gloves for better grip.
His coach told him that he was a "woosh" already for wearing body protection, but if it finally would make him a better player he should get his gloves as well.

I am not a overprotective mum and I have called my son a "woosh" on occasion and I understand that you should not pamper a child. Telling someone off for wearing protection is however in my opinion totally uncalled for.

Does protective gear make you a lesser player, less tough and god forbid a lesser male or does it make you smart enough to realise that you feel more confident with that gear and there for try that one impossible tackle anyway?

And even if you feel that it is not neccesary to wear protection does that give you the right to scorn others who do?

I even saw bull riders wearing a helmet and that did not dimish my respect for the guy who is nuts enough to ride that bull,in my eyes it only made him smarter .

After all if there isn't a demand for the protective gear, why is it on sale?

Thank you for reading this and I will get of my high horse now. :rolleyes:

M.C.I.

No not at all - theres nothing to be embaressed about from wearing protection.

I think its very unprofessional that a coach would actually encourage children as young as 10 not to wear protection if they wanted to. I have worn plenty of protection over my time: I used to wear gloves back in the 2003 'everyone wears gloves' era, then I got shoulder pads because of bad shoulder injury I picked up while playing, and now I wear a headguard because of a scar on the side of my head. What the recurring theme with protection? You wear it for safety, and that at the end of the day is paramount. I don't wear pads or gloves anymore but I will always wear a headguard because of my scar so I don't open it again. If I didn't have it I probably wouldn't let myself play.

Should you care what people say? No. I certainly don't. A headguard is a headguard and pads are pads. You're still the same player no matter what. What difference does it make? Protection is a big part of the game. Pretty much all professionals wear protection of some sort so for a coach to tell a child not to is puzzling. You shouldn't let your children worry about this too much because of what others say. Other peers his age yeah, I can understand having a joke but a coach; I would consider having a word if I was you.

If it was a New Zealand coach, he was probably just joking around. Making fun of pads and gloves and white/colourful boots is just common banter in rugby circles, i doubt he meant anything malicious by it.

Not in the slightest, and anyone who thinks so is stuck in the past/a bit mad.
I wear pads whenever i play, and i've worn gloves once when it was ******* it down (didn't notice any difference tbh, but they were only £3, and didn't make it any worse). At the end of the day, it's 5-10mm of foam/sponge, it's not as if you're going out wearing a suit of armour.

Also, the majority of professional players wear pads these days, and i wouldn't call any of them a "whoosh" (though i don't know what that means, i assume it's a bad thing :p )

As a front rower, I can see why head gear is so popular. It can give you a slight edge when hitting the scrum or ruck. I don't wear it because I find it can be uncomfortable if it slips down near the eyes, however from someone who has has his ear ripped in the past, I would recommend head gear especially in the higher levels. Tat being said, if he is playining in the backline, there isn't quite the same need for head gear, however if he catches better with gloves, then keep him wearing gloves.

I think if anything he is just teasing. If not then he is a poor coach. If protection was a bad idea, then make everyone play without mouth guards and then see who the "woosh" is when they smile back without any teeth.

yea like others have said most if not all) pros were body protection in rugby and their no less a player for doing so.

Dont worry i have played with shoulder pads for the last 4 years and it really has meant fewer injuries for me ;.means i can hit more tackles with more confidence and so makes me and all who do wear them a better player not a lesser one ...

but always always wear a gumshield..the one time i didnt i spent a few minutes spitting grit of what came off my teeth..

and yeah the coach is most likely just joking around with your kid :)

Yeah, gumshields are a necessity, i'm amazed when people don't use them, do they not want their teeth?
One occasion i can remember it saving mine was being tackled from behind, but the guy wrapped the ball as well, so i could put my hands out to protect myself, and hit the ground mouth first. I'm almost certain i'd have broken a tooth or two in that situation,
Also copped a shoulder in the mouth in a ruck once, which could've ended badly

i know a guy who lost his gumshield the one play before he took an elbow to the mouth..knocked out 6 teeth ..

i hate it when your ruining or sprinting and gumshield falls out (this only hapens if your mouth is open).

i hate it when your ruining or sprinting and gumshield falls out (this only hapens if your mouth is open).

You need to do a better job of moulding your mouthguard mate, mine has never fallen out and i never shut my mouth on the rugby pitch.

i have one of the $2 ones so...

Its probably worth paying a little extra to make sure you still have all your teeth when youre 35.. I paid about $40 for mine and its lasted me 3 seasons so far, on top of a little bit of boxing. it also lets me sledge to my hearts content without coming loose.

On further reflection of the original question...yes, it does make you a less of a man.

A pink mouth guard, gloves and head gear will make you less of a man...It's been my sole reason not to play for Stade Francais...

And they havn't offered me a contract...

TBH, like in the 1st reply, its odd that the coach of a under 10/12 team would disscourage protective wear, but my opinion is that if you dont know what its for, or dont need it - dont use it. it lures yourself in a faulse sence of security. It winds me up when backs use head gear, when it serves no pratical pourpose. chuck him in the tight 5 and then tell me they need it (as your ears burn) but sholder/chest pads, head gear, whatever - it wont stop from hurting when you get a big hit on you. nothing will. but it doesnt hurt, so brush the dirt off and line him up next time.

but yes mouthguard/gumsheilds is a must. i dont think they actually let you play without them, along with sharp sprigs in boots.

Might give him a false sense of security as has been said - I've seen kids put their scrum caps on and thing in enables them to magically tackle head to belly, or put shoulder pads on and think it's a brilliant excuse to start shoulder-charging. The only protection than annoys me is when hookers wear shin pads and when people tape their knuckles and hands up under their gloves so they can let their hands float around on the floor in the ruck.

Does wearing protective gear make you a lesser player?

answer: NO !!!

Its up to the player what he wants to wear.

As people have mentioned a gum shield is essential.

I don't like catching gloves. Really annoy me. I don't think they bring anything to a players game. If you can't catch then the player needs to work on its handling. Its not a nasty statement but maybe something for the parent and the player to work on together and spend some quality time doing so.

As for scrum hats and pads then its up to the player. I occasionally wear a scrum hat only when Im playing at a higher level to protect myself from boots and when Im scrummaging. Pads is something im considering because of the power of the hits on my shoulders and having slight problems in the traps in the shoulder I may have to purchase some.

At the end of the day its up to the player what he wants to wear.

Latest posts