• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Dylan Hartley to become England captain

Dylan Hartley is the best hooker to ever wear an English jersey.
He's the smart guys option for captain.
That little rat who played hooker for England (Tom forgettable ?) in the RWC was useless.
His ball carrying was immature and ineffective, his line out throwing was a way of gifting the opposition possession, he's a very average defender, Hartley is head and shoulders above the rest and he is experienced.
Great choice by the canny Eddie Jones.
He wants some fire in his pack, three Lions roaring, not pussies.
Hartley will deliver.
He will lead from the front and the rest of the poems behind him better lift their game to match his intensity.

Dylan Hartley is the best hooker to ever wear an English jersey.
He's the smart guys option for captain.
That little rat who played hooker for England (Tom forgettable ?) in the RWC was useless.
His ball carrying was immature and ineffective, his line out throwing was a way of gifting the opposition possession, he's a very average defender, Hartley is head and shoulders above the rest and he is experienced.
Great choice by the canny Eddie Jones.
He wants some fire in his pack, three Lions roaring, not pussies.
Hartley will deliver.
He will lead from the front and the rest of the poems behind him better lift their game to match his intensity.

Amazing

Isn't this reputed to be that Jones mentioned (casually) that he sees Hartley as a leadership option at an off-the-record event?

I'm not really convinced that this is by any means finalised yet. tbh, I can see Jones' first captain being a short-term appointment.

Isn't this reputed to be that Jones mentioned (casually) that he sees Hartley as a leadership option at an off-the-record event?

I'm not really convinced that this is by any means finalised yet. tbh, I can see Jones' first captain being a short-term appointment.

Mind he said lots of things.

It's prob where the press picked it up mind.

Hartley is a meh player with a poopy mentality.

No.
Hartley for captain.
Anyone who says otherwise needs to think about the impact he would have had at the RWC.
Imagine if you're hooker had hit your line out targets.
You would have at least been out of your group and who knows how much further.
Maybe just a year or two but he is an inspired interim choice.

- - - Updated - - -

Genuinely stopped reading here.
I always thought you were a decent poster who had a WUMmy streak, but now I can see you are just generally a troll.

Well I noticed you can't come up with anyone better.
You produce a conveyer belt of super props and locks but hooker is an area where top drawer quality has been in short supply.
Argue it out with Eddie Jones, he's the new England manager in case you didn't know, he's also got a pretty good winning pedigree, and he has a few clues about coaching.
Maybe roll with it, or would you rather have Mr Lancaster the PE teacher back on deck.??

Last edited:
No.
Hartley for captain.
Anyone who says otherwise needs to think about the impact he would have had at the RWC.
Imagine if you're hooker had hit your line out targets.
You would have at least been out of your group and who knows how much further.
Maybe just a year or two but he is an inspired interim choice.
We have hookers that can hit their targets, Lancaster just didn't select them.

Hartley is not the enforcer that some people make him out to be. He's insanely passive at rucks, and his bans and cards are all for cheap shot/cowardly actions, not as if he's picking fights and putting in huge borderline hits.

We have hookers that can hit their targets, Lancaster just didn't select them.

Hartley is not the enforcer that some people make him out to be. He's insanely passive at rucks, and his bans and cards are all for cheap shot/cowardly actions, not as if he's picking fights and putting in huge borderline hits.
Just remember this is the guy who said Burgess looked like a potential international superstar @center after his first international game and then continued to tell us how great he was despite zero evidence of any real potential of him playing center in rugby union. Honestly the guy knows even less about English rugby than I do ;)

As for Hartley as captain I'm pretty apathetic to the idea, Jones who's probably starting to build up his English rugby knowledge probably knows little about the alternative currently and after the world cup is probably a nailed on starter out of the regular internationals. Once Jones see club form he'll hopefully think a long the lines George instead. I'd mightily surprised if he picked a captain before a week before the Scotland match. Launcher's would be my pick but until you see the group dynamic it's a waste of time speculating. Jones probably has a short list of those he's considering currently I'm not massively surprised Hartley would on that list.

His biggest issue is the backs department the two better 10's in the country have lost form and were staring down the barrel of Farrell 10 and Barritt 12 again which fill me with more dread than worrying if Hartley looses his cool.

Saying again Slater for Captain.

Got to pick someone who is a nailed on starter.

However good slater is ( I really rate him), I don't think he could come in above ewers, itoje, Haskell etc and start.

Lauchberry is a guaranteed starter and maybe billy v (that is a maybe). But both are quite quiet characters.

I think you need to pick a squad first, see how you want as captain in training and then go with it.

Just for the record, Dylan hasn't actually been announced as captain has he? It's just rumours (hopefully) at the moment

Don't think Billy V will be a nailed on starter when Hughes qualifies whether people like that or not.
As good as Billy is I think once Hughes gets the no8 shirt it will be hard to take it back.
I'd say Launchbury for captain but would be different with Hartley in charge

Last edited:
Got to pick someone who is a nailed on starter.

However good slater is ( I really rate him), I don't think he could come in above ewers, itoje, Haskell etc and start.

Lauchberry is a guaranteed starter and maybe billy v (that is a maybe). But both are quite quiet characters.

I think you need to pick a squad first, see how you want as captain in training and then go with it.

Just for the record, Dylan hasn't actually been announced as captain has he? It's just rumours (hopefully) at the moment

Don't disagree.

Just saying if he can keep putting shifts in like he has I could see him potentially starting with Launchbury come 6N's.

In which case I wouldn't be out of if he was captain In a pack of:

1) Mullan, Vunipola
2) George, Hartley, Youngs
3) Brookes, Cole, Thomas
4) Slater, Kruis
5) Launchbury,
6) Itojie, Ewers,
7) Fraser, Kvesic/Haskell
8) Morgan, Vunipola

Last edited:
Just remember this is the guy who said Burgess looked like a potential international superstar @center after his first international game and then continued to tell us how great he was despite zero evidence of any real potential of him playing center in rugby union. Honestly the guy knows even less about English rugby than I do ;)

Oh really, so how is it Burgess was taken from the field when England were winning, BEFORE Wales kicked your sorry arse out of the World Cup, hmmmm?

Oh you're so quick to forget that key element.

It's not my fault you can't see talent when it's right in front of you.

To be fair England didn't have any world class players under Lancaster and Farrell.
But under Jones and Borthwick many of those same players will be world class.

Oh really, so how is it Burgess was taken from the field when England were winning, BEFORE Wales kicked your sorry arse out of the World Cup, hmmmm?

Oh you're so quick to forget that key element.

It's not my fault you can't see talent when it's right in front of you.

To be fair England didn't have any world class players under Lancaster and Farrell.
But under Jones and Borthwick many of those same players will be world class.

Lel

Latest posts