• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Earls can match All Blacks great Cullen - Tipoki

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Jan 31 2009, 12:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
His future is probably at centre so there really isn't much point in the fullback compairssons. Even when playing fullback, alot of what he does in attacking is when he comes into the line.[/b]
True. I thought he worked extremely well alongside Darren Cave in successive Churchill Cup's. A partnership of Earls (12)/Cave (13) could be one worth pursuing. Earls is stocky and powerful and could work well in tight confines whereas Cave picks excellent lines and could be a livewire off Earls' half breaks.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Jan 31 2009, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Jan 31 2009, 12:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
His future is probably at centre so there really isn't much point in the fullback compairssons. Even when playing fullback, alot of what he does in attacking is when he comes into the line.[/b]
True. I thought he worked extremely well alongside Darren Cave in successive Churchill Cup's. A partnership of Earls (12)/Cave (13) could be one worth pursuing. Earls is stocky and powerful and could work well in tight confines whereas Cave picks excellent lines and could be a livewire off Earls' half breaks.
[/b][/quote]

I think they could even work the other wway around with Cave first and a little bit of space and Earls is FREEEEEE and once he's free a wing outside him and it's finished.

Earls at inside centre though does offer a big ole boot.

Cave is an Outside centre through and through, where as Earls is best as an oUtside centre he is talented enough to play anywhere in the back line.

9. O'Leary - 25
10. Keatley - 21
11. Fitzgerald - 22
12. Earls - 22
13. Cave -21
14. McCrea - 21
15. Kearney -22

B)

I want to see that back line play soon.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Jan 31 2009, 04:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
What Age is Bowe, he can still fit into our squad if younguns surely?[/b]
I think Bowe is 24 but am open to correction. I think he's a better long term option than McCrea. McCrea has shown some talent and will continue to develop under Matt Williams, Neil Doak and Paul Steinmetz but he's far from the finished article. Having said that, he was brilliant in Ulster's demolition of Munster a month ago.

Also, watch out for Shane Monahan on the wing. He's a great talent with a nose for the tryline. Next season he'll have a full contract with either Leinster or Connacht.

24, to be honest i only threw O'Leary in there because there is no young scrumhalf under 25 getting gametime for a Province. Although Bowe on the right wing would make it much more likely to happen. Maybe in the Autumn.

McCrea has serious gas but not much else. Still though he is hardly Andrew Maxwell.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Jan 31 2009, 04:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
24, to be honest i only threw O'Leary in there because there is no young scrumhalf under 25 getting gametime for a Province. Although Bowe on the right wing would make it much more likely to happen. Maybe in the Autumn.[/b]
The only other young scrumhalves getting a bit of gametime are the Ulster pair of Cillian Willis and Paul Marshall. If, as I expect, Whitaker and Keane are shipped out of Leinster during the summer, I expect one or other (probably Marshall) to make the move to Leinster.

Carr makes for an excellent back up in the back three. And lets not forget our young backrow of

6. Ferris (23)
7. O'Brien (21)
8. Pollack (21?)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Jan 31 2009, 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Carr makes for an excellent back up in the back three. And lets not forget our young backrow of

6. Ferris (23)
7. O'Brien (21)
8. Pollack (21?)[/b]

Heaslip's hardly yesterday's man at the ripe old age of 25. Plenty of options available to us in the backrow.

Tight 5:

1. Healy
2. Cronin
3. Ryan
4. Ryan
5. Caldwell

Seems we have some good young players around :huh: Tight Head is still a problem though. As Snoopy said Ryan is still "a kid".

Edit: Completely forgot about Devin Toner as well! Plenty of options in the second row.

not too sure about Toner, don't think he's physically cut out to make it at international level.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Jan 31 2009, 11:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I look at it from an unbiased neutral view.[/b]

In fairness I'm just as unbiased and I think they are both extraordinary players, there's no point comparing them because they both scored fantastic tries, looked like they were jogging when they ran and still breezed past people.

If Earls is half the player those two were he'll be a great asset to ireland.

I am looking forward to seeing a young irish team this tournament, since I've heard a lot about Kearney, Fitzgerald and Earls and it'll be good to see them make the transition to international level.

Personally I've seen Kearney play and been impressed; Fitzgerald on the other hand got made to look ordinary by an off- form Sackey recently so I'm not too sure about him just yet.

From all the highlights clips I've seen of Munster, Earls looks special.

He is still young though. I know his height could be a disadvantage but he can still work on strength and power.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Jan 31 2009, 06:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
He is still young though. I know his height could be a disadvantage but he can still work on strength and power.[/b]

well he certainly needs to work on his rucking, cause it's non existent at the moment

I don't think Sackey played better than Fitzgerald in that match. Fitzgerald looked as dangerous in attack and equally below par in defence.

anyway, he'll most likely be playing centre for Ireland. I hope Shaggy isn't picked :(.

response to Tarbh, He rucks regularly, when Mafi gets tackled coz he's too busy not passing to do anything else.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Jan 31 2009, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Jan 31 2009, 06:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He is still young though. I know his height could be a disadvantage but he can still work on strength and power.[/b]

well he certainly needs to work on his rucking, cause it's non existent at the moment
[/b][/quote]

How may caps does Malcolm O'Kelly have again? :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Jan 31 2009, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Jan 31 2009, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Jan 31 2009, 06:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

How may caps does Malcolm O'Kelly have again? :p
[/b][/quote]

not even close to comparing like with like even with your tongue in your cheek.

I also think Heaslip needs to be a bit less lazy when Ireland are on defence.

Just watched a video on youtube of all Irelands trys in 2008 (http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=M5mY1bLQRiw&feature=related)
and heaslip is a beast in the open
Bowe is now quality despite what George Hook says.
I'm a bit harsh on shaggy sometimes
Kearney is a beast.
And Reddan being dropped from the squad was very harsh.

I agree with An Tarbh about Devin Toner. He looks like he'll make an excellent provincial player but may not be quite good enough to step up to international level. That's not to say he won't win some caps but I doubt he'll ever be a regular. Ryan Caldwell and Donnacha Ryan seem like better prospects in the 2nd row. It's not an area of the team we'll need to worry about any time soon since O'Connell, O'Callaghan and Casey (if he's ever given a shot) have another 4 or so years left in the tank. By the time they retire/are usurped in the team, Caldwell and Ryan will be more than battle-hardened to take over.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Jan 31 2009, 07:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I also think Heaslip needs to be a bit less lazy when Ireland are on defence.[/b]
I wouldn't say Heaslip is lazy in defence - he puts in more than his fair share of tackles. One area I do think he needs to work on though is cutting out his tendency of hanging around in the centres or on the wing in attack. He's improving that facet of his play but it could still be much better.

Latest posts