• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Earls can match All Blacks great Cullen - Tipoki

M

MunsterMan

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Tipoki: Earls can match All Blacks great Cullen

29/01/2009

RUA Tipoki has compared Munster and Ireland sensation, Keith Earls, to All Black great, Christian Cullen, saying more international exposure for the 21-year-old can take the Limerick man to greater heights. The former New Zealand Maori captain has missed most of Munster’s Heineken Cup campaign through injury, but he’s delighted the progress Earls has made at outside centre this season, a position usually filled by a Tipoki since his arrival in Munster in 2007.

“Keith’s magic. He’s brilliant,†enthused Tipoki. “I love watching what he does when he gets his hands on the ball. He reminds me of a young Christian Cullen â€" he ghosts through the gaps without making it look hard.

“It’s great to see him playing well and hopefully we can see him get a few opportunities in the Six Nations because the more time he gets playing top level rugby the better for us in Munster.â€[/b]

Part of this article from the Irish Examiner.

He looks like he could become a world class player. With ball in hand and a little bit of spce, he's devastating. He's improving with every game he plays at 13 and his defence is now of a good standard. Hopefully he can improve his passing game because right now that's the only element to his game which needs a fair deal of work. The thought of Earls, Cave, Fitzgerald and Kearney as the outside backs for Ireland is mouth watering.

Well he runs some of the best lines I've ever seen. He seems incredible under the highball, haven't ever seen him really defensively tested. Strong and incredibly quick and I've seen him clear out a ruck. So yeah, he's that good. Huge boot on him too.

When he won the School's Senior cup with St Munchuns couple of years ago he scored at least one try in every match.

im pretty sure i remember an article where doug howlett said that earls reminded him of a younger christian cullen as well. good signs if the two of em are saying that :D

Yeah, and I think ROG compared him to a young Brian O'Driscoll so there is no pressure on him at all, He is only being compared to two of the all time greats. <_<

Agreed! a hella lot to live up to.. but can match Cullen? c'mon!! (Cullen fan if yous didn't know lol)

It's nice that a young Irish back has been compared to such a great as All Black Legend Cullen. It is far too early to say whether he can live up to the same billing as Cullen on the international stage. Just have to wait and see how Earls does in the Six Nations.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gavin @ Jan 30 2009, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It's nice that a young Irish back has been compared to such a great as All Black Legend Cullen. It is far too early to say whether he can live up to the same billing as Cullen on the international stage. Just have to wait and see how Earls does in the Six Nations.[/b]

The problem there is that the centre partnership seems certain to feature BOD and then Fitzgerald/Darcy. So it looks like he'll be slotted into the back three if anywhere. Hopefully not FB which should be specially reserved for Kearney which leaves him on the wing which isn't his best position.

Most likely is that he'll be a super utility sub, sigh.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Jan 30 2009, 12:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gavin @ Jan 30 2009, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's nice that a young Irish back has been compared to such a great as All Black Legend Cullen. It is far too early to say whether he can live up to the same billing as Cullen on the international stage. Just have to wait and see how Earls does in the Six Nations.[/b]

The problem there is that the centre partnership seems certain to feature BOD and then Fitzgerald/Darcy. So it looks like he'll be slotted into the back three if anywhere. Hopefully not FB which should be specially reserved for Kearney which leaves him on the wing which isn't his best position.

Most likely is that he'll be a super utility sub, sigh.
[/b][/quote]

depends on his fitness as well.

Just imagine if he was comparable to the best of all time....Blanco.
Now that really would be a compliment. In all fairness give the guy time rather than comparing him with legendary figures from the past. He looks like a really dynamic runner with a big boot but hes no Cullen or certainly no Blanco yet.

I didn't read the full article, but I read the posted outtake. And from what I've read, he doesn't say anywhhere that he 'can match' Christian Cullen. All he says is that he plays like him and that he is 'great'. I'm not saying he doesn't have potential, but more is being read from Tipoki's statement than what should be.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Jan 31 2009, 04:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Now that really would be a compliment. In all fairness give the guy time rather than comparing him with legendary figures from the past. He looks like a really dynamic runner with a big boot but hes no Cullen or certainly no Blanco yet.[/b]

Cullen > Blanco.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wairarapa_cullen @ Jan 31 2009, 07:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Jan 31 2009, 04:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now that really would be a compliment. In all fairness give the guy time rather than comparing him with legendary figures from the past. He looks like a really dynamic runner with a big boot but hes no Cullen or certainly no Blanco yet.[/b]

Cullen > Blanco.
[/b][/quote]

2nd'ed lol

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wairarapa_cullen @ Jan 31 2009, 07:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Jan 31 2009, 04:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cullen > Blanco.
[/b][/quote]
For a period of about 5 years Cullen was unstoppable. Blanco was unstoppable for over a decade.

Cullen < Blanco

His future is probably at centre so there really isn't much point in the fullback compairssons. Even when playing fullback, alot of what he does in attacking is when he comes into the line.

Latest posts