• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

ELVS

H

Hamster

What did you think of the ELV's in the super 14.

Obvious success if you ask me, less dull moments, more attacking flow. Only people I can see not liking them are the bloody poms, always whinging about them..

Wow, way to start a fire there Hamster lol.
It's true a lot of the Brits haven't liked them, but judging by the numerous previous topics on the ELVs there are plenty of poms who can see merit in them. Personally I like a lot of them, but am not completely convinced that all of them are great.

Favourite is the cant pass the ball into 22 and kick it out, great one that. I think in most matches it took 5 minutes before a stoppage, because usually every match its kickoff, ruck, pass the ball into 22 and kick it out.

It's true a lot of the Brits haven't liked them, but judging by the numerous previous topics on the ELVs there are plenty of poms who can see merit in them. Personally I like a lot of them, but am not completely convinced that all of them are great.
[/b]
Are you convinced that all of the previous laws are great?
(Not trying to be a smart ass, just wanna know how you gauging them)
I think the ELV's were a success, they succeeded in their objective. Speeding the game up. I'll have to look at the stats, but I'm sure there were more scrums and alot less line outs. We had many memorable games and a memorable final.
ELV's approved!

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Are you convinced that all of the previous laws are great?
(Not trying to be a smart ass, just wanna know how you gauging them)
I think the ELV's were a success, they succeeded in their objective. Speeding the game up. I'll have to look at the stats, but I'm sure there were more scrums and alot less line outs. We had many memorable games and a memorable final.
ELV's approved! [/b][/quote]
No, I certainly wasn't one of those arguing "don't fix what aint broke" - I know the game has issues and was excited about the ELVs. However, I did feel that some of the laws didn't always have the greatest effect. The 22 rule for example, while it has led to the ball being in play a lot more has also seen a lot more bombing done by most teams (and I'm not the biggest fan of garry owens) and then other times it just ends up creating kicking duals. Also, the new offside at the tackle rule has been very inconsistently refereed and I get the feeling it could end up becoming a real messy area (especially in close games).
But yes, by and large I agree and am pretty happy with most of the effect most of the ELVs have had.

Well they have certainly made the game more exciting, there have been 63 more tries this season than last and overall there have just been the same amount of points roughly. Just less boring penalty kick games. Would have liked to see more of the ELVS implemented world wide but atleast four of them will help to make internationals exciting again.

This topic's been done to death. Some are for, others against. Most people see merit in a couple of them, but as sanzar points out, a rule that appears great (pasing back into the 22 rule) can have hugely negative impacts on the game.

In the end, it'll come down to how a team wants to play. If a negative game suits them, they will play it that way whatever, whether ELV's are present or not.

Imo, the S14 isn't a very good tourny to judge the effectiveness of the ELV's. Generally all teams play with a positive attitude, willing to chuck the ball around. Now It'll be interesting to see them when they are introduced in the Guiness Premiership, as there's alot more varation in styles of play. For example, will the teams who play negitively use the 'passing into the 22 rule' to bombard the opposition with up 'n unders, as there's less chance of them getting punished with a long kick to touch!

I'm still prepared to change my mind when they are introduced globally, but I can see too many areas where these new rules can and will be manipulated to make the game even worse. There'll be Gary Owens all over the place, hands in the ruck as there's no punishment of penalties etc. etc.

Edit. I just wanted to remind people, I am Welsh, which means open attacking rugby is what I want to see. I don't want to see rolling mauls and boring penalty shoot outs reign supreme.

I think the 'can't pass back into the 22' rule worked pretty well. I think if it was just Oz and NZ in the S14 it would be a pear shaped experiment but SA evened things out, as the same players that destroyed the English pack last year play in the S14 (the same English pack that dashed Australias WC hopes). The Sharks forward pack dragged the entire team into the semi's kicking and screaming.

Fair enough then Steve-o.

I'm pretty excited to see how the Welsh players adapt to the EV's. For example, I can't wait to see how Shane Williams and James Hook get on with an axtra 10m space from a scrum!

Yeah definitely, from what I've seen there seems to be a backline talent boom in parts of Britain (mostly England and Wales). It sucks ass that you guys are trailing the hands in the ruck and collapsing the maul laws though. The revised laws used in the S14 are more balanced