• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
"take back control"
Back?
Pretty sure the EPS agreements give the RFU more control over players than they've ever had before

Has anyone got this squad sorted by position,

Its not a bad squad but feels more like a training squad to look at players then a serious squad for the AI's. Some good to see players like Tizard, Murley but some odd ones like VRR and Porter(over alternatives)

Just feels like something is missing. Thats why i want by position.

As you wish sir

Forwards

LH Prop

Ellis Genge
Val Rapava Ruskin (Gloucester Rugby, uncapped)
Bevan Rodd
Mako Vunipola

Hooker
Luke Cowan-Dickie
George McGuigan (Newcastle Falcons, uncapped)
Jack Singleton

TH Prop
Joe Heyes
Kyle Sinckler

Lock
Jonny Hill
Maro Itoje
David Ribbans (Northampton Saints, uncapped)
Hugh Tizard (Saracens, uncapped)

Blind Side Flanker
Alex Coles (Northampton Saints, uncapped)
Courtney Lawes

OS Flanker
Tom Curry
Lewis Ludlam
Jack Willis

Number 8
Sam Simmonds
Billy Vunipola

Backs

SH

Raffi Quirke
Jack van Poortlviet
Ben Youngs

FH
Marcus Smith
Owen Farrell

Centre
Guy Porter
Will Joseph
Manu Tuilagi

Wing
Joe Cokanasiga
Max Malins
Jonny May
Jack Nowell
Cadan Murley (Harlequins, uncapped)

FB
Henry Arundell
Freddie Steward
George Furbank

As you wish sir

Forwards

LH Prop

Ellis Genge
Val Rapava Ruskin (Gloucester Rugby, uncapped)
Bevan Rodd
Mako Vunipola

Hooker
Luke Cowan-Dickie
George McGuigan (Newcastle Falcons, uncapped)
Jack Singleton

TH Prop
Joe Heyes
Kyle Sinckler

Lock
Jonny Hill
Maro Itoje
David Ribbans (Northampton Saints, uncapped)
Hugh Tizard (Saracens, uncapped)

Blind Side Flanker
Alex Coles (Northampton Saints, uncapped)
Courtney Lawes

OS Flanker
Tom Curry
Lewis Ludlam
Jack Willis

Number 8
Sam Simmonds
Billy Vunipola

Backs

SH

Raffi Quirke
Jack van Poortlviet
Ben Youngs

FH
Marcus Smith
Owen Farrell

Centre
Guy Porter
Will Joseph
Manu Tuilagi

Wing
Joe Cokanasiga
Max Malins
Jonny May
Jack Nowell
Cadan Murley (Harlequins, uncapped)

FB
Henry Arundell
Freddie Steward
George Furbank
Unavailable for selection due to injury: Alfie Barbeary, Ollie Chessum, Nic Dolly, Alex Dombrandt, Charlie Ewels, George Ford, Tommy Freeman, Jamie George, Sam Jeffries, Nick Isiekwe, Harry Randall, Will Stuart, Sam Underhill, Jack Walker.

So,
George
Chessum
Freeman
Underhill

Adding these back in would help abit but still dont get how Porter gets in over many other options? Especially Marchant. Does this mean Smith Faz Manu all AI.

Happy for JWillis if it wernt for his bad injuries i think he would nailed on by now, id have had TWillis in there too tbh.

And ofcourse im on the Arundell hype train.

All in all it just seems an odd squad with obvious omissions, how many of those players inc injury list have less than 10 caps? Less than 5? It seems more than their should be this close to the WC. I may be wrong but seems it.

Until I saw the centre selection in this squad I had a pretty strong feeling that Farrell was going to reclaim 10. Don't think that will happen now. Jones now hailing him as an icon and one of the all time greats - whether he is or isn't I don't think Jones should be publicly blowing smoke like that for a current player, in just the same way he shouldn't be publicly overtly critical either.

Others will have seen more of Quins than me, but from what I've seen Smith's been going OK, but the party pieces aren't coming off quite so regularly. Fair?

Until I saw the centre selection in this squad I had a pretty strong feeling that Farrell was going to reclaim 10. Don't think that will happen now. Jones now hailing him as an icon and one of the all time greats - whether he is or isn't I don't think Jones should be publicly blowing smoke like that for a current player, in just the same way he shouldn't be publicly overtly critical either.

Others will have seen more of Quins than me, but from what I've seen Smith's been going OK, but the party pieces aren't coming off quite so regularly. Fair?
From what Ive seen I'd have to agree, be interesting to see if he starts firing again now Esterhuizen is returning.

simon cowell facepalm GIF
Lol, you're surprised??

JVP is prob ahead of both tbh
I'd say possibly rather than 'probably'. He has credit in the bank from Australia, but Quirke was ahead of him prior to that and is starting and playing well for Sale while JvP is mostly benching for Tigers.

I'd say possibly rather than 'probably'. He has credit in the bank from Australia, but Quirke was ahead of him prior to that and is starting and playing well for Sale while JvP is mostly benching for Tigers.
Jones has always said that he doesn't see the Premiership as a real barometer.

As you say, JvP impressed in Aus which I think earns him the right to be in the 23 for the big Autumn games, which presumably Youngs will start. For the development of the others might be good for Youngs to sit out both Jap and Arg. He's experienced enough to come straight back in for the ABs.

Reactions: BPM
Very good point. He did look like he was half asleep during the game on Sunday.

In the grand scheme of things, it's not the worst squad selection. The wing and centres is the only area I feel a touch nervous about.

Would have liked to have seen Earl over Simmonds as he's in immense form.

It makes you wonder why he's there in the crowd for three games a week (as seen on BT Sport) really, doesn't it?

I don't understand Jones at all.
he must go to the BT games. I don't understand him one bit either. I cannot believe he is still in charge.

Lawes won't join up with the squad in Jersey next week. Replaced by Pearson.

You can't be too careful with concussion but he took the knock on 24th Sept and IIRC it also took him an extended period before he came back from the concussion earlier in the year.

Hopefully no real cause for concern but makes you wonder a bit. Quite apart from being a bit disruptive to preparation.

May and (probably) Arundell out

OHC has got to be one of the callups, he's been so good this season

Who would be next in line at fullback? Daly for the utility bench spot?

Wouldn't be mad at Marchant and Daly getting called up tbh

What about Watson? Although I don't think he's really played fullback before.

I'm going to call it.

Watson and Marchant to be the replacements

Status
Not open for further replies.