• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
CCS idk who would be the best fit for him.

Don't think he would start for most teams. Well at least ones that I think would suit him.

Maybe Bristol but I think CCS would suit a power game more

Would like him at Tigers with Wiese away at internationals but feel he would need more game time. And although he is good he isn't at Wiese level.

Unless we think Wiese might be off end of his current contract

In a purely hypothetical situation, on paper etc.etc.etc., for me it's:

Obano, George, Sinckler (we really have no tightheads in this country)
Martin, Chessum (I know it's still early doors on these two but they noticeably improve almost every game - think they're gonna be this generations Johnson/Kay)

A more realistic one:
Genge, George, Sinckler
Itoje, Chessum
Interesting that you'd hypothetically pick Obano ahead of Genge given Genge's form over the last year or so. I've always seen Obano as having huge unfulfilled potential, largely due to injury.

Genge's form over the last year is why I'd pick Obano over him, tbh
He's been poor for Bristol whereas Obano has looker brilliant since his return from injury

Genge does often raise his game for England but that's putting a lot of faith in an out of form player to come good at the right time

I'd also have VRR ahead of Genge

CCS idk who would be the best fit for him.

Don't think he would start for most teams. Well at least ones that I think would suit him.

Maybe Bristol but I think CCS would suit a power game more

Would like him at Tigers with Wiese away at internationals but feel he would need more game time. And although he is good he isn't at Wiese level.

Unless we think Wiese might be off end of his current contract
Id take him at Chiefs, we love abit of power and physicality. He would likely get gametime along side Tshiunza Vermeulen and Fisilau

I'm very excited about Pearson who will surely start to get some game time fairly soon and also what CCS might bring in a couple of years. Where they end up playing their club rugby might have a big impact on their prospects.
I could be thinking of someone else but I think Pearson was in the Chiefs academy up to U18s. Would love to see him return down here. Think he'd fit in very well stylistically as a replacement for Simmonds at 8.

CCS I could see fitting in well at Northampton.

Genge's form over the last year is why I'd pick Obano over him, tbh
He's been poor for Bristol whereas Obano has looker brilliant since his return from injury

Genge does often raise his game for England but that's putting a lot of faith in an out of form player to come good at the right time

I'd also have VRR ahead of Genge
Fair comments, I've not seen much of Genge at Bristol but they seemed to be affected across the whole team and coaching staff rather than one particular area. I'd like to see VPR at least given a chance to impress.

I'd also like to see Sinkler feel under more pressure for his starting place.

Genge and Sinckler are well below international standard but we don't really have much choice going in to the World Cup unfortunately.

• Haha
Reactions: BPM
Genge and Sinckler are well below international standard
Genge hasn't been at his best recently but saying he's well below international standard is hyperbole.

It does seem like transferring to Bristol is just about the worst thing a player can do for their rugby development though.

Genge hasn't been at his best recently but saying he's well below international standard is hyperbole.

It does seem like transferring to Bristol is just about the worst thing a player can do for their rugby development though.
It's not hyperbole, he doesn't play at Bristol like an international player. He looks like a standard club player who makes the occasional good run. He's not been head and shoulders above like an international should be.

It's not hyperbole, he doesn't play at Bristol like an international player. He looks like a standard club player who makes the occasional good run. He's not been head and shoulders above like an international should be.
Okay but at international level I'd say he's yet to really let us down and has had spells of being fantastic. At his worst he can be a bit anonymous.

If a player is up to scratch at international level then they're an international level player, regardless of what they do at their club. Ma'a Nonu never turned up at SR level and he's one of the greatest 12s to ever do it.

Okay but at international level I'd say he's yet to really let us down and has had spells of being fantastic. At his worst he can be a bit anonymous.

If a player is up to scratch at international level then they're an international level player, regardless of what they do at their club. Ma'a Nonu never turned up at SR level and he's one of the greatest 12s to ever do it.
Completely agree with what you say, it's a great point. I was just talking club level but yeah he raises his game for England.

Probably should have considered your point.

I hope Borthwick let's Farrell play like that for England - he should be our first choice 10 moving forwards this summer

Ford or Smith on the bench - no more dicking around with the 12 shirt if Kelly and Manu are fit (surely at least one them should be at a time)
Lawrence at 13, but covering 12 before Farrell does

I hope Borthwick let's Farrell play like that for England - he should be our first choice 10 moving forwards this summer

Ford or Smith on the bench - no more dicking around with the 12 shirt if Kelly and Manu are fit (surely at least one them should be at a time)
All agreed

Lawrence at 13, but covering 12

First sentence says it all.
We still have a culture of playing by numbers rather than what is in front of them.
We could pick Dupont at 9 and Barrett at 10 and still tell them to kick off good ball because it is the 3rd phase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts