• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 6 Nation squad 2024

Yeah very frustrating to see Ewels involved - we already know what he can do at international level, he shouldn't be taking a spot away from a youngster, though I feel like all the droppers will be in the 23 (cause why drop them down otherwise, so they can hold tackle bags in the captain's run?)
Yeah, I can't see any of the guys dropping down not being involved in the starting XV. Pretty disappointed that this will likely relegate Tuima to the bench. He was one of the guys who I was most looking forward to seeing involved.

And a restricted crowd of 55,000 for gigs. Lost the US football to the vastly superior facilities at Spurs.

The Twickenham site's got to be worth a fair bit. Surely the aspiration really ought to be to demolish it and build in the Midlands somewhere - where land's a bit cheaper with decent transport links and accessible to the whole country. Start from scratch, develop a state of the art stadium that can regularly be used for other events, has radical facilities like car parking, can be a centre of excellence for the elite and have other well designed money spinning leisure and commercial facilities.

And pigs might fly.
As someone living in the midlands, this would be a nice idea. Even got a whole new high speed rail link to London and all...

How lucky we are that the RFU is known for it's financial prudence, business acumen, towering marketing competence and grand vision.

Yeah very frustrating to see Ewels involved - we already know what he can do at international level, he shouldn't be taking a spot away from a youngster, though I feel like all the droppers will be in the 23 (cause why drop them down otherwise, so they can hold tackle bags in the captain's run?)

I don't have a huge problem with it - the A team has to have some experienced heads in there. At the moment he's clearly one of the next off the rank for the senior set up but we haven't really seen what he can do in a white shirt post a horrendous injury. Wouldn't surprise me if he captains.

Also worth noting (again) that at club level, he's playing the rugby of his life. Like the player we hoped he'd grow to become 5-6 years ago.

It's not like he ever p!ayed international rugby at a level below his club form either - he was never really good enough to be selected on merit*, and brought that same form to international. If he could do the same now, he'd justify being 4th-ish choice.

* As in, only really got in due to lack of alternatives when 2+ of the big 4 were unavailable. And mostly after Johnny Hill proved that he wasnt about to grow a brain.

Also worth noting (again) that at club level, he's playing the rugby of his life. Like the player we hoped he'd grow to become 5-6 years ago.

It's not like he ever p!ayed international rugby at a level below his club form either - he was never really good enough to be selected on merit*, and brought that same form to international. If he could do the same now, he'd justify being 4th-ish choice.

* As in, only really got in due to lack of alternatives when 2+ of the big 4 were unavailable. And mostly after Johnny Hill proved that he wasnt about to grow a brain.
I refuse to stop doing the Ewels spews though

Wouldn't surprise me if he captains.
Ew Sickening GIF by Gerbert!
It's an A game vs amateur players (Portugal aren't sending any of their pro players) - if our guys need Ewels there to hold their hands then we're beyond hope

It's inevitable though, really
I am excited about Ojomoh (hopefully) being involved though

Hard to pick a side from the team announced, feels pretty unbalanced - lots of 8s, lots of wings, not a lot of 6s or 13s

Maybe something like:

Baxter, Blamire, Heyes
Tuima, Ewels,
Isiekwe, Pearson, Barbeary
Randall, Atkinson
OHC, Hartley, Ojomoh, Murley
Hodge

Blake, Haffar, Iosefa-Scott, Tuima, Fisilau, Englefield, Shillcock, Ma'asi-White

That's trying to be realistic with it, for me I'd rather a Pearson/Pepper flanker pairing, Tuima start and Bamber bench, Harper on the bench and Ioasefa-Scott not in the side (really weird player to be poaching), and Riley over Blake (think the Gloucester connection will win him that coin toss)

Last edited:
It's an A game vs amateur players (Portugal aren't sending any of their pro players)

A great idea turning into a wasted opportunity for all.

if our guys need Ewels there to hold their hands

It's not that, but there's every chance it could turn into a turkey shoot. The more experienced players can help the others play in a more controlled way that resembles what is required at a higher level (otherwise the whole thing is pointless).

then we're beyond hope

Erm……

I was quite looking forward to this but playing with home advantage against Portugal B really won't tell us anything apart from whether the scoreboard works.

And if the Portuguese genuinely are amateurs the risk of injury against pros looking to prove a point doesn't bear thinking about.

As an amateur - I really don't fancy tackling Alfie Barbery (or, more likely, failing in an attempt to tackle).
For that matter, given his history, I don't fancy being tackled by Ewels in one of his upright moods.

And a restricted crowd of 55,000 for gigs. Lost the US football to the vastly superior facilities at Spurs.

The Twickenham site's got to be worth a fair bit. Surely the aspiration really ought to be to demolish it and build in the Midlands somewhere - where land's a bit cheaper with decent transport links and accessible to the whole country. Start from scratch, develop a state of the art stadium that can regularly be used for other events, has radical facilities like car parking, can be a centre of excellence for the elite and have other well designed money spinning leisure and commercial facilities.

And pigs might fly.
This all over, build a state of the art stadium somewhere that is actually accessible. Twickenham is horrible to get to and the stadium itself isn't that great. The seating is ridiculously tight unless you're 8 stone and 5 foot 6.

They really should take the opportunity at looking at Birmingham. Lacks in a superior outdoor stadium. Would bring in a lot of events because let's face, Villa park or Edgbaston is the only other option.

This all over, build a state of the art stadium somewhere that is actually accessible. Twickenham is horrible to get to and the stadium itself isn't that great. The seating is ridiculously tight unless you're 8 stone and 5 foot 6.

They really should take the opportunity at looking at Birmingham. Lacks in a superior outdoor stadium. Would bring in a lot of events because let's face, Villa park or Edgbaston is the only other option.
Also make sure it has a roof.

Not 'all over' enough to warrant a 👍 though 😀 You're a tough crowd - maybe reread during the Calcutta Cup after a few!

I can see the RFU going back to the Wembley plan under government pressure to move a lot of the football matches at Wembley elsewhere which means the FA will probably want the money the RFU offers.

Last edited:
Especially annoying when you're sandwiched between two fatties.
Sadly never going to happen. Look at what they did with Wembley, even though St George's park is located north of Birmingham.