• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 6 Nation squad 2024

CCS could develop into a genuine 6 / 8 option. But at this stage he's probably more big interventions than Duracell bunny.

Earl's undroppable at the moment, but he could move to 7. Also hope to see Barbeary blooded soon. Good that we've finally got some carriers.

Like both David and Hodge with ball in hand but from what I've seen both are a bit behind the sofa in defence.

Back up to George remains a problem.

CCS could develop into a genuine 6 / 8 option. But at this stage he's probably more big interventions than Duracell bunny.

Earl's undroppable at the moment, but he could move to 7. Also hope to see Barbeary blooded soon. Good that we've finally got some carriers.

Like both David and Hodge with ball in hand but from what I've seen both are a bit behind the sofa in defence.

Back up to George remains a problem.
This is the thing I admire about Smith, I am not suggesting he's a viable 15 option by any means, when at 15 in the WC he made some decent tackles and provided a speed bump at other times sure he didn't make show stopping tackles but he certainly didn't attempt to shy away from them.

I think that's harsh. I don't think JvP has looked 'absolutely terrified'. He's had some good moments and if anything, I think he was confused by the game plan (which could be said for most of us too). Mitchell is looking good now, but it took him a while to get there. Probably for similar reasons.

As long as we stick with the style of play we've seen in the past couple of rounds, I think JvP has more than enough potential to be a good understudy to Mitchell. I'd prefer Quirke, but he needs to stay fit and get his starting spot back before he's a serious contender.

McParland looks promising, but he's behind Mitchell so probably won't get as much game time as he might need in the short term.
(not directed at you more a general gripe) ... For the love of god can we just give gus warr a look, he has kept quirke out of that team and is a very tidy player. Maybe he doesnt translate to the level but one of the better english 9's in the prem in recent years and he isnt even near.

Warr being ignored is strange indeed. I would have thought he'd be right up Borthwick's (and Wigglesworth's) street. I genuinely don't understand why he wasn't selected for the A squad.

9 is a weird one in general although if JvP and Quirke can get back to fitness and form, I think we'll have a pretty promising trio.

Quirke's fully fit atm, I reckon if he makes it to the end of the season without something tearing/breaking (a pretty big ask tbf) I think he'll tour this summer and maybe even end up on the bench

Don't think he's earned it (maybe he will by then, who knows) but with him being brought in as walking wounded to the main squad and then being "travelling" reserve for the A game, despite barely playing this season it suggests he's very much on the radar

Warr being ignored is strange indeed. I would have thought he'd be right up Borthwick's (and Wigglesworth's) street. I genuinely don't understand why he wasn't selected for the A squad.

9 is a weird one in general although if JvP and Quirke can get back to fitness and form, I think we'll have a pretty promising trio.
I thought he would of been on the radar, quick ball and good kicking game but alas you and oly are right, quirke is on the radar while warr isnt.

I imagine its likely due to warr not being as much of a threat with ball in hand and around the ruck as they are looking for? Would also explain why ben spencer has struggled to get in despite also being great in terms of ball speed and kicking. Probably why randall was the A SH and when quirke was on form and fit that was his differnce making skill.

Quirke has searing speed as a point of difference.

He's not as good a scrum half as Mitchell but you can't coach his silly speed which he has in spades.

Yeah the future of THP looks strong, there's just a bit of gap between the 19yr olds and the seasoned pros - it's why I'm fine with Cole atm, while the kids mature
It's a shame Painter didn't get a look in this 6N, think he could help bridge the gap too. Whilst I think Asher could do a job off the bench atm I'm still not fully on board with throwing someone so young into an international front row, just for physiological reasons more than anything
You see I was originally all for taking the youngsters: Fasogbon, baxter, haffer, Opoku-Fordjou etc... since there isnt much of a bridging group.

But then remembered what happened when we last rushed prop prospects in Rodd and heyes looked quality, dominant at u20 level. Not developed as fast as everyone was expecting (they still have time). Maybe it is better to leave the kids at home this year and let them get another season of professional and European rugby in them. Reay exciting crop though.

Quirke has searing speed as a point of difference.

He's not as good a scrum half as Mitchell but you can't coach his silly speed which he has in spades.
Yeah having thought about it I think thats what they want from their SH, rapid to the breakdown to speed up ball and a threat in the carry.

Havent seen quirke lately since he was injured and been very busy with work so fell behind on prem rugby for a while, but I would be worried at what impact those injuries have had on that.

Yeah the future of THP looks strong, there's just a bit of gap between the 19yr olds and the seasoned pros - it's why I'm fine with Cole atm, while the kids mature
It's a shame Painter didn't get a look in this 6N, think he could help bridge the gap too. Whilst I think Asher could do a job off the bench atm I'm still not fully on board with throwing someone so young into an international front row, just for physiological reasons more than anything.

Times this morning saying that England view him as a LH.

Either way he shouldn't be near the squad yet. Physiology reasons as you say plus he's still incredibly inexperienced. Once he's nailed down a Sharks starting shirt and has been bossing it for more than a season then I'll start getting interested.

Think of the size / experience of most of the props on the international circuit and it wouldn't be right yet. Although he'd obviously be fine against Wales.

Yeah I remember them saying that earlier in the season: He's said he wants to play tighthead and that's where he'll be playing for Sale, so it's gonna get awkward

I kind of get it, at age grade at least, because there's Sella and Fasogbon in the same u20 contingent, but when you get someone as talented as he is in a position that has very little senior depth why would you want him to change

Either way he shouldn't be near the squad yet. Physiology reasons as you say plus he's still incredibly inexperienced. Once he's nailed down a Sharks starting shirt and has been bossing it for more than a season then I'll start getting interested.

Think of the size / experience of most of the props on the international circuit and it wouldn't be right yet. Although he'd obviously be fine against Wales.
Not seen this one before

Yeah I remember them saying that earlier in the season: He's said he wants to play tighthead and that's where he'll be playing for Sale, so it's gonna get awkward
The impression I get (could very well be wrong) is that he's currently bilateral - equally comfortable on either side of the scrum.
But he prefers playing THP (which shouldn't be too relevant*, unless he actively dislikes playing LHP).
Sale have greater need of him at THP.
Eng U20 have greater need of him at LHP.

England coaches seem to think he has a higher potential as a LHP (beyond the practicalities of getting game time into all 2 future stars), but I've never got the impression that they're wedded to that, or think it particularly strongly.
Have Sale's coaches said they think he has a higher potential as a THP? Or is it that he's higher up the Sale pecking order at THP, therefore that's where he's getting game time? Or that he has a personal preference for THP, so they want to keep him sweet (at least until nailed down with a nice long contract - "remember Ben Foden")?

but when you get someone as talented as he is in a position that has very little senior depth why would you want him to change
A] as he's bilateral, it wouldn't be a change so much as waiting to see how he develops.
B] it's not as if the senior depth is any greater at LHP, whilst he'll be growing up at the same time as Sela and Fasogbon, so the future depth is definitely greater at THP (I don't recall ever being excited by age-grade props before this batch, so I just can't remember what the competition is like from recent U20s - certainly not as good as this crop though).

Last edited:
Have Sale's coaches said they think he has a higher potential as a THP? Or is it that he's higher up the Sale pecking order at THP, therefore that's where he's getting game time? Or that he has a personal preference for THP, so they want to keep him sweet (at least until nailed down with a nice long contract - "remember Ben Foden")?
All of the above, from what I gather - he's definitely dual side atm, but that doesn't last long at senior level, and he's on record saying he wants to play tighthead longterm

I can't see him playing loosehead much for Sale outside of a long list of injuries (only time he's been there for Sale was when we had three injuries, and he didn't make it off the bench at LH, he came on in the backrow with a few seconds left in the game due to injuries)

Actually, I think the potential at loosehead is stronger than tighthead.

Baxter, Brantingham and Haffar all look good and are getting regular game time.

As much as Fasogbon and Sela look very good at age grade they have very little senior experience to speak of right now. I'm not even sure Opoku-Fordjour has featured in more than 10 first team games as yet has he?

Still - plenty of young props to be optimistic about.

I'm not even sure Opoku-Fordjour has featured in more than 10 first team games as yet has he?
10 exactly, I believe

Schonert went off injured vs Saints on the weekend so he'll likely be involved for the rest of this season too

All of the above, from what I gather - he's definitely dual side atm, but that doesn't last long at senior level, and he's on record saying he wants to play tighthead longterm

Never quite understood that. You'll always be slightly better at one than the other but I'm sure plenty could be pretty much as good on both sides if they trained for it.

Looking at his build I'd instinctively think LH (actually I really think hooker but we'll park that!) but I guess it's wherever someone is most comfortable and effective - according to stereotype Usain Bolt shouldn't have been a decent 100m runner. interesting that Sanderson was saying that he needs to put on 5 or 6kg - every time I watch him I think he *looks* small.

Never quite understood that. You'll always be slightly better at one than the other but I'm sure plenty could be pretty much as good on both sides if they trained for it.

Looking at his build I'd instinctively think LH (actually I really think hooker but we'll park that!) but I guess it's wherever someone is most comfortable and effective - according to stereotype Usain Bolt shouldn't have been a decent 100m runner. interesting that Sanderson was saying that he needs to put on 5 or 6kg - every time I watch him I think he *looks* small.
Nicola Mas was probably a bit smaller ? Although he was exceptional
I quite the idea of a fast twitch smaller prop vs a 6 foot 5 25 stone bloke. As we saw at the weekend with Antonio, couldn't set his feet right all game and then couldn't hold his weight as he had to go long with his feet and bind