• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 6 Nation squad 2024

Why would CCS be a better 6 than 8? The strength of CCS is ball carrying which suits an 8. The main job of a 6 is to tackle.
Depends, look at NZ Savea is more than a carrier and definitely Read was a ball player, with McCaw as tackler and jackler

Why would CCS be a better 6 than 8? The strength of CCS is ball carrying which suits an 8. The main job of a 6 is to tackle.
Looking at SB and quite few posters on here they prefer a lock type at 6 to support the line out
I personally think a 6 should be more dynamic with a focus on rucks, tacking and carrying. A modern six should not been in the team for the sake of 2-3 line outs per game.

Doesn't strictly fit here but sad to read that Phil Vickery has been declared bankrupt. He's also one of the claimants in the concussion lawsuit so obviously having a tough time. Best wishes to the Raging Bull.

Looking at SB and quite few posters on here they prefer a lock type at 6 to support the line out
I personally think a 6 should be more dynamic with a focus on rucks, tacking and carrying. A modern six should not been in the team for the sake of 2-3 line outs per game.
But a locks job is also to focus on rucks and carrying. I mean in this day and age I'd expect a 6 to cover all the basics and rucks and tackling and be able to be a lineout option. It's not like Chessum is great at the lineout and pants at everything else.

But a locks job is also to focus on rucks and carrying. I mean in this day and age I'd expect a 6 to cover all the basics and rucks and tackling and be able to be a lineout option. It's not like Chessum is great at the lineout and pants at everything else
Chessum is great in the line out
Not sure what else he would have over a proper back rower. Take CCS he carries far better, tackles harder and is much more dynamic around the park

Chessum is great in the line out
Not sure what else he would have over a proper back rower. Take CCS he carries far better, tackles harder and is much more dynamic around the park
I agree CCS with the above but that's not the argument. I'd say that CCS is also a lineout player so both of them fit into the same box opposed to another player at 6 like (can't really think of any) playing roots or underhill at 6 for example.

But a locks job is also to focus on rucks and carrying. I mean in this day and age I'd expect a 6 to cover all the basics and rucks and tackling and be able to be a lineout option. It's not like Chessum is great at the lineout and pants at everything else.
in the modern game it seems like the 4,5,6 are pretty much the same thing just differing body types. 6 will be the lightest but will be expected to cover the most ground while you have one heavier lock who can secure the ball but won't be expected to run around everywhere. Then the other lock will be somewhere in between.

Morning all, I was looking to go to the wales vs England game next March and obviously all the hotels are booked up. Just wondered if anyone had an idea of where is easy to get to after the game on the train or bus that isn't a crazy wait as I'll have my son with me.

Cheers.

Morning all, I was looking to go to the wales vs England game next March and obviously all the hotels are booked up. Just wondered if anyone had an idea of where is easy to get to after the game on the train or bus that isn't a crazy wait as I'll have my son with me.

Cheers.

The one time we went there we went all Gavin and Stacey and stayed in the Premier Inn at Barry. About half an hour on the train IIRC.

The one time we went there we went all Gavin and Stacey and stayed in the Premier Inn at Barry. About half an hour on the train IIRC.
Was the train rammed after the game? I looked at hotels in Barry but had no idea on how easy it would be after the game to get the train.

Im not seeing any evidence of this performance advantage Bill Sweeney speaks of
pointing at ireland and france is an odd one. Could point at wales and say they are pants but would be far better selecting overseas, while im not sure there are any examples of teams picking non domestic struggling because of it, maybe australia but even they ring fences during their decline.

Could easily point to wanting to maintain the strength of the domestic competition or something instead.

I mean Wales kinda do select overseas players - obviously with a big caveat in the cap number, but still had guys like Reffell, Rowlands and Jenkins in their squad, how many did they miss out on? IFW?

England selecting from the prem means extending camp and extra rest periods - look at Scotland kicking up a stink because their Prem contingent had to go back to their clubs in the bye weeks
Imagine if we had to send Itoje and George, or whoever, back to France to play in the Top 14 during the breaks

I mean we already kinda saw it last season with Willis missing the opening round of the 6N because he'd only had 3 days in camp before the team was selected

I mean Wales kinda do select overseas players - obviously with a big caveat in the cap number, but still had guys like Reffell, Rowlands and Jenkins in their squad, how many did they miss out on? IFW?

England selecting from the prem means extending camp and extra rest periods - look at Scotland kicking up a stink because their Prem contingent had to go back to their clubs in the bye weeks
Imagine if we had to send Itoje and George, or whoever, back to France to play in the Top 14 during the breaks

I mean we already kinda saw it last season with Willis missing the opening round of the 6N because he'd only had 3 days in camp before the team was selected
Wales could of had joe hawkins and such as well and I mean, scotland kicked up a stink but then still beat us and have been further ahead of were they were in the still memorable past, so it obviously isnt hurting, and would be much further behind if they could only select from domestic teams and would have even worse depth than they already do as their domestic teams would be filled and no ones else would get opportunities, but thats more an issue with two teams.

I think there are just better arguments for the rule tbh, domestic game being stronger better for development etc, or atleast expand on what you mean by competitive advantage since the twice reigning world champs evidently dont agree. France are irrelevent as they are teh richest league so they dont lose players anyway, so ireland the only real sucess story.

Think england would be just fine either way tbh, could see an argument for a limited number of non domestic players.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get sevreal big names turning down hybrid contradts or the contracts being resented by the clubs.

Latest posts