England 7s done

Not Mike Brown's Sock

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
UK
Club or Nation
Harlequins
Times reporting England 7s players have been told that they're jobless at the end of the month.

Still looking for UK sport to back a UK 7s team but isn't done yet

Just saw it on RugbyPass, i guess they have to be brutal to cut costs. Really hope that they get the funding they need to continue or merge it into a GB 7's program.

Yeah, i'm guessing they're looking to make Team GB a permanent think and get in on the Olympics funding.

Kinda sucks, but the Olympics getting 7s was a bodyblow to the world series (and world cup? do they even do that?) so makes sense that they'll trying and wind it down for funding from elsewhere.

WRU will be hot on their feet at some point doing the same.

Be interesting to see what the SRU do.

What kinda salary were they on?

I know the Irish Seven's players are on a pittance.

What kinda salary were they on?

I know the Irish Seven's players are on a pittance.
We've had central contracts in 7s since 2010 so you'd imagine reasonable but not exactly bank breaking.
Equivalent to a low level squad player (there have been a few fringe prem/championship players who have given up 15s to focus on 7s so it must be paying the bills) but with win bonus incentives

Edit:
From an article about Irish 7s players
The salaries for English players range from an estimated €25,000 to over €100,000.

Odd question, but would Ireland be involved in a UK team? Cause UK obviously entails NI and if it is funded by UK sport what would happen?

ROI: No
Northern Irish players: Presumably the same as the Olympics where they can choose which to represent

Don't they have a club they play with?

The SA 7's are all with a union, and some of them have even said they'd consider switching back to 15's permanently should the 7's tournament be cancelled indefinitely. I know Stedman Gans is at the Bulls, and Werner Kok moved to the Sharks during lockdown, while the others all stayed with their union they were with and still get some sort of income from SA Rugby.

Don't they have a club they play with?
Not these days - they brought in central contracts a number of years ago. Even before that most of them played for championship sides (why pay for a player who is missing most of the season?) or were academy players with the odd top level guy who'd drop in for the odd tournament

Latest posts