• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England becoming contenders

I'm not reading too much into Morgan going, as he's not had the most gametime going although its not a great sign, but Palmer going back and Parling not looks like a massive clue... or a typo I suppose.
Good point on Parling/Palmer, wouldn't be surprised to see Parling start.
However, considering the sh*t storm over Haskell not returning to Stade Francais during the week off a season or two ago, Lancaster could just be trying to keep them sweet.

Good point on Parling/Palmer, wouldn't be surprised to see Parling start.
However, considering the sh*t storm over Haskell not returning to Stade Francais during the week off a season or two ago, Lancaster could just be trying to keep them sweet.

Could be, although I'd deem it unlikely - particularly as Palmer returns to England next season, and the new agreement makes it unlikely for us to be picking from a French club anytime soon. And even then it seems weird for Parling not to be going back.

The article in the telegraph was so funny. hearing Brits talk about how Boring Sarries play! i just wish they would leave the premership and never return, a horrible advert for rugby and now they have infested the england team with their players and coaches. I wish we had lost the first two days just to realise that kicking all your pocession away will not win you games!

I think Parling played much better than Palmer when he came on, palmer looked tierd as a player? but thats maybe coz of the amount of work he got through.

I think the return of these players makes this a lot closer than many think. Flood will stand on the gain line and his defense is better, he has also demonstrated his an understanding of Tuilagi's game which has allowed him to bring him into play with great effect. Tuilagi is a handful and will need to be chopped down before he gets a head of steam up. Lawes is a destructive defensive force and will have an impact on the gain line. This will be a close game and one in which we will need to start well. Fingers crossed

I am suspicious why all the players mentioned here (Palmer, Lawes/Tuilagi/morgan) going back. hmm.... i hope it doesn't mean they will not start.
Lets be honest if Gatland is doing his tactics for the game he would be a bit lost as the England team is new and we havn't really seen any attacking pattern that wales can train for/stop.

I really think this is a positive thing as England are a unknown and its harder to coach for a unknown team. But Gatland is a great coach and he will make sure he prepares his side with all scenarios covered.
One thing i been thinking of is would you risk puting in proven players like Lawes and Tuilagi? Twickenham is a big place and brings big pressure. Certainly in my eyes Lawes is a great and Tuilagi is one of the best centres we have. A england side with them bring more fear then without. BUt i havnt watched them play last week to see how close to match fitness they are.
I would replace Palmer with Lawes, botha has done well and i love the red cap drifting around :)
In my eyes i go for a Tuilagi/Flood/Barrit combination.

I like Barrit a unsung hero his defensive work is very good and not many get past his organisation and defensive work but not sure how he is attacking as the last 2 games been more defensive affairs. In reality Lancaster probably think its to risky and we end up with the same line up.
Morgan i am not sure about, i havnt watched him enough but from what i read there is a question lasting a full 80 mins? also how good is he compared to Dowson in the breakdown? thats where i see we are a little weak and Wales contest the breakdown a lot more.

Tuilagi and Lawes are coming off of the back of lengthy lay offs, don't forget. I think both have played the last game (or two?) for their clubs, but to go from a couple of months in the physio room straight into international rugby with barely any thing in between is a recipe for disaster! Look what happened to Sheridan (repeatedly): He'd get injured playing for England, be out for several months, come straight back in to the England squad and get injured a game or two later. Rinse and repeat.

agree.

But i think their quality cannot be ignored and i be surprised if they are not named as subs.
Yes i am a bit Lawes fan we need a enforcer like him :)

i reckon once they expierance a twickenham crowd they'll burst into life. England 28-16 Wales.

i reckon once they expierance a twickenham crowd they'll burst into life. England 28-16 Wales.

75,000 corporate rent-a-nobs chewing on their complimentary sandwiches complaining about those riff-raff "sports fans" mixed into their elite club?

I found it interesting when asked about Englands first two games and upcoming game with Wales Shane Williams had this to say "England have won their first two games away from home in poor conditions. Yes, they haven't played the best rugby in the world but they've won tough games. That goes to show the mindset that England have got at the moment and they're more than capable of creating chances. They've got some strong runners in that side with the likes of Ben Foden, David Strettle and of course Chris Ashton. You've only got to look at the amount of touches Ashton's had in the first two games to see that England haven't tried anything behind the scrum. They know probably in better conditions they could play a bit more rugby. I certainly wouldn't underestimate them. We can't go up to Twickenham thinking we're favourites for the game and that we've only got to turn up because they are a strong squad and they've got some dangerous runners in that team".

I found it interesting when asked about Englands first two games and upcoming game with Wales Shane Williams had this to say "England have won their first two games away from home in poor conditions. Yes, they haven't played the best rugby in the world but they've won tough games. That goes to show the mindset that England have got at the moment and they're more than capable of creating chances. They've got some strong runners in that side with the likes of Ben Foden, David Strettle and of course Chris Ashton. You've only got to look at the amount of touches Ashton's had in the first two games to see that England haven't tried anything behind the scrum. They know probably in better conditions they could play a bit more rugby. I certainly wouldn't underestimate them. We can't go up to Twickenham thinking we're favourites for the game and that we've only got to turn up because they are a strong squad and they've got some dangerous runners in that team".

Great find- any link to the source?

Tuilagi is a handful and will need to be chopped down before he gets a head of steam up.

The one English player that could probably walk into the ABs or Wallabies side. England would be pretty foolish to play a conservative game against Wales with him playing.

Looks like the penny dropped for Youngs http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/17065789

I know it can be edited and you have to take things at face value nor do I want to seem one eyed but Dickson seems so much more confident.

That's not one eyed at all, it's the right thing to do. If England want to play high-tempo expansive rugby, they need a 9 who will dictate that. At the moment, Youngs lacks too much confidence and is too predictable to be running a back line against Wales. Dickson may not be perfect, but he's on form, confident and most importantly he plays his game with a high tempo. I need not even mention the change brought about when he came on last week.

If we can keep the scores close against Wales, maybe behind by 8 points maximum around the 50 minute mark, then I think we have a chance. We bring on Tuilagi at this point, get him stuck in, and we may be able to get a couple of scores. I say this because Tuilagi probably wont be starting so he will take Turner-Hall's spot in the 21 shirt.

Therefore, at the moment I'm not writing England off. Wales will be a massive test for this new team, but I don't think for one second that they can't do it. Whether they are contenders or not ? Sure, of course they are. In a few years time they will be winners too. Not just 'grinding out winners against Scotland and Italy'.

That said, I will lose a lot of faith in the England management if Morgan doesn't start. I've had enough of 3 out and out 6's in our backrow.

9 Dickson 10 Farrell 12 Barritt 13 Tuilagi

Flood - Bench.

Tough on Hodgson. Farrel's kicking might be crucial and he's used to playing with Barritt. This line up is necessary not least because of the attacking threat of the big Welsh backs. Another reason for the Hodgson decision.

Atco, i wouldnt diagree with that selection. As i noticed that we play more narrow in the middle to possibly give protection to hodgson as its clear that people still want to target him -no doubt Gatland would want to test hodgsons defensive skills.

I really like to see Lawes to replace palmer/botha but botha has been great as Lock.

We play more narrow because Farrell is at 12, and he's like a blackhole for attacking threat...

Latest posts