• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England EPS 2017/18 edition.

see Wade and Cips train gaining momentum.

Cips I can see why Wade, not so much people comparing him to NMS, Mackenzie etc saying if he was an AB he would be picked..
People saying look how many tries the wasps team score but don't mention how many they concede.

Gibson is the definition of good club player and that is all, Rugby jounro's are pretty crap on the whole hype up players who really shouldn't be hype up.

Give me a baabaas team of.
1. VPR, 2. 3. Schonert
4. Ribbans, 5. Williams
6. Ewers, 7 BOC, 8. Shields
9. Heinz, 10. Marshall
12. Te'o 13. Woodward
11. Solomona 14. 15. Marshall

Trying to think of a 2 and another wing though.

I'm going to break ranks and say that I quite like Gibson. He's been genuinely outstanding in a crap team.

Ordinarily I think he'd be behind Robshaw, Armand, Wilson and Chisholm but with Robshaw likely to be rested and the others unavailable, he'd be in my thoughts.

What's the verdict on Lewis Ludlow? He's been impressive for Gloucester this season IMO. He's younger than Gibson with greater development potential.

I think someone dropped a brick on his head when he reached the Fullback part. He excludes a load of people for being known quantities, playing a lot or for taking a head knock yet Brown has all of those and is included. As for Mallinder... I wouldn't trust him as a water boy. I really don't understand where all this Mallinder hype comes from, he has been nothing but consistently ****, even in a side that has been **** he has stood out as being particularly ****.

Who's the guy in the top photo on the right?
Can't place him, It's doing my head in.

Reasonable selections, ruined by a ridiculous fullback section.

I'm a big Redpath fan but capping an u18s centre in South Africa vs the brutes they can choose from is just a recipe for disaster.

Alex shaw is one who likes to rave about U18's and would prob field a U18/U20 team to SA.
I mean Tadgh McElroy really? Might aswell give Walker or Singleton a trip with the squad they are only a year older and have actually played some prem rugby.
Cam Redpath as a playing member of the squad really?
Will Evans really? (I like Evans too but he needs a run of games)
No Willis really?

Surprised he didn't put Lawarence on the tour team.....
We have the U20's use them in there only current U20 who should be looking at an apprenticeship is Ibitoye but rather he played in the U20's than do nothing with England seniors.

Gibson is the definition of good club player and that is all, Rugby jounro's are pretty crap on the whole hype up players who really shouldn't be hype up.

Give me a baabaas team of.
1. VPR, 2. 3. Schonert
4. Ribbans, 5. Williams
6. Ewers, 7 BOC, 8. Shields
9. Heinz, 10. Marshall
12. Te'o 13. Woodward
11. Solomona 14. 15. Marshall

Trying to think of a 2 and another wing though.
Woodward -> 15
Marshall -> 14
Trinder -> 13

Can't help you with 2 tho

One journo at the weekend was saying that Eng's priority was to win in SA. We do need to get the winning habit back, but I think experimenting in some positions will be just as important.

Up front I'm thinking:

1. Genge. Fresh thanks to injuries and many people's choice regardless. I think he'll be bang up for a fight with the Boke. Backed up by Hepburn. Mako ----> beach.

2. Taylor. Bit left field, but not a huge George fan. Unfortunately LCD still has his darts wobbles or he'd be a shoe in. Taylor has good basics and is lively around the pitch. Again, fresh.

3. Williams. Process of elimination. Cole joins Mako on the beach. Sinkler never looks more than a sub. Schonert has his supporters.

Locks.

I'm thinking that we need to become a bit more heavy duty and less athletic in the row. Our hand is forced anyway through injury.

Lawes is beanpole and injured. Kruis hasn't looked right since pre Lions and is injured. Itoje is knackered, and should join Cole and Mako on the sun lounger. Of our 4 "world class" locks that leaves Launch. Fine player. does all the right things, but a bit like Robshaw always leaves me wondering if he's nasty enough and enough of a leader. So I'd go with:

4. Isiekwe. Big man, fit and in form. Low error count and just seems to unfussily do the right thing. Very much the future, time to see what he can do.

5. Attwood. Bit retro, but a big man who gives much needed grunt and edge. I'd also be thinking about Slater. Provided leadership at Glaws and stayed pretty fit. He's nearly 30, but as a short term option through to the RWC he's possible.

6. Shields. Every bone in my body is screaming no, but he's eligible, a big bloke schooled and fairly well regarded in NZ so let's see. After injuries Underhill may be better rested and Robshaw's not the answer.

7. Curry. An openside, dare you Eddie.....

8. Binny. Again, fresh and must be itching to get tearing into international teams again. No brainer, but also equally tempted to wrap him in cotton wool.

Bit experimental, but really likely to be worse than our 6N pack?

One journo at the weekend was saying that Eng's priority was to win in SA. We do need to get the winning habit back, but I think experimenting in some positions will be just as important.

Up front I'm thinking:

1. Genge. Fresh thanks to injuries and many people's choice regardless. I think he'll be bang up for a fight with the Boke. Backed up by Hepburn. Mako ----> beach.

2. Taylor. Bit left field, but not a huge George fan. Unfortunately LCD still has his darts wobbles or he'd be a shoe in. Taylor has good basics and is lively around the pitch. Again, fresh.

3. Williams. Process of elimination. Cole joins Mako on the beach. Sinkler never looks more than a sub. Schonert has his supporters.

Locks.

I'm thinking that we need to become a bit more heavy duty and less athletic in the row. Our hand is forced anyway through injury.

Lawes is beanpole and injured. Kruis hasn't looked right since pre Lions and is injured. Itoje is knackered, and should join Cole and Mako on the sun lounger. Of our 4 "world class" locks that leaves Launch. Fine player. does all the right things, but a bit like Robshaw always leaves me wondering if he's nasty enough and enough of a leader. So I'd go with:

4. Isiekwe. Big man, fit and in form. Low error count and just seems to unfussily do the right thing. Very much the future, time to see what he can do.

5. Attwood. Bit retro, but a big man who gives much needed grunt and edge. I'd also be thinking about Slater. Provided leadership at Glaws and stayed pretty fit. He's nearly 30, but as a short term option through to the RWC he's possible.

6. Shields. Every bone in my body is screaming no, but he's eligible, a big bloke schooled and fairly well regarded in NZ so let's see. After injuries Underhill may be better rested and Robshaw's not the answer.

8. Binny. Again, fresh and must be itching to get tearing into international teams again. No brainer, but also equally tempted to wrap him in cotton wool.

Like that, like that a lot. I would take Armand, Ewers, O'Connor, Spencer and Green as back-up second and back-rowers.

Up front I'm thinking:

Locks.

Agree with all of that except Taylor over LCD, has had one or 2 wobbles but highly cosistant for chiefs at the lineout. But on form LCD brings alot of aggression and carrying. Where as TT is not long back from injury, deserves a spot but to start over LCD he needs to earn that.

LCD has had one or 2 wobbles but highly cosistant for chiefs at the lineout
tenor.gif

Do you not think he's worth giving a shot? On form he's the best hooker in the country. His lineout is subject to being pretty poor at times but I think the rest of his game makes up for it. Start him in SA, if his lineouts really are dire then bring George off the bench to sort it out. To not at least give him a chance when England don't currently have a lot to lose would be a mistake IMO.

Of course I think he's worth a shot, it's just hilarious seeing chiefs fans paper over his poor lineout.

see Wade and Cips train gaining momentum.

Cips I can see why Wade, not so much people comparing him to NMS, Mackenzie etc saying if he was an AB he would be picked..
People saying look how many tries the wasps team score but don't mention how many they concede.

Problem is with Cips.... no one knows where he's going... He's playing fantastic rugby and probably is/is one of the in form 10's in England but..... no point thinking about him if he goes to France..
shame as so much more dynamic than Ford and to be honest I don't think either of them is particularly brilliant in defence.

In Wade's defence, his defence his much improved and his tackling is much stronger. He's still able to score tries and create opportunities may others can't but as everyone always points out, Is he defensively strong enough if on your own line in the world cup final ? Probably not.

LCD's lineout is not as bad as some say, and not as good as many others say.

Don't think I agree about Sinckler starting.

100% agree about Isiekwe... love that guy. Maybe not a game-changer on his own, but if you had a team of guys of his quality...?! Scary stuff.... T-1000 callous efficiency.

If Attwood was a couple of years younger I'd agreee; but he's not, and it appears he may be staying in France? (not really kept up with that, so it may be ********)
I'd put Spencer in there to absolutely level people, good scrummager and decent carrier.

If the medical guys think Underhill is fit, then play him... he's certainly not been overworked.
The same goes for Billy, although I agree the temptation to just give him a luxury suite is tempting.

The big question that I would like answered (and I know the answer I would like), is what's happening re: the Attack coach situation?

Last edited:
LCD -brilliant player, below average lineout at best.

Cips- id have him over Ford at 10 for Tigers, says it all really.

Sinckler is increasingly becoming a liability again.
I thought he'd cooled from absolute arsehole to just "player with an edge" but this season he's gone back to his petulant cheap shotting worst. The Boks would have a field day winding him up.

Problem is with Cips.... no one knows where he's going... He's playing fantastic rugby and probably is/is one of the in form 10's in England but..... no point thinking about him if he goes to France..
shame as so much more dynamic than Ford and to be honest I don't think either of them is particularly brilliant in defence.

In Wade's defence, his defence his much improved and his tackling is much stronger. He's still able to score tries and create opportunities may others can't but as everyone always points out, Is he defensively strong enough if on your own line in the world cup final ? Probably not.

I think Cips is a great talent, his problem has always been that it seems he's a massive twat off the field.

I think a few years ago I said something along the lines of "if Wade doesn't get tens of caps it'll be a disgrace", and at the time, I think that was absolutely correct.
We had a wing combo of Cueto and Ashton, neither of whom were able to affect the game in any real way, and Ashton in particular was doing a revolving door impression.
There was a period where Wade was by far and away the most exciting English player yet wasn't being picked ahead of limited, woefully out of form players.

Unfortunately, that time has passed... I wouldn't be upset if he was picked by any means, but the case for picking him is nowhere near as strong as it was maybe 3 years ago.

Latest posts