• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[England] Post-6N/Pre-RWC Player Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Massive pressure? Right.

Hodgson played 3 times for England @12 pre World Cup.

Abbott made his test debut in a World Cup warm up game.

Compared to Tindall's 25+ caps and Greenwoods 30+ caps pre World Cup and yes SCW knew exactly who his midfield was.

That didn't mean they weren't under pressure, and that lots of people were calling for Abbott and Catt to be in over Tindall which is my point.

Have you read Woodward's book? Seem to recall him taking about this a bit, wanting to play Hodgson at 12 to play a more expensive style whilst retaining Wilkinson.

Already have - his stats at Wasps suggest he must be a brave wee fella to play through so many games with injury.

You're wrong about him being in the squads as well.

That didn't mean they weren't under pressure, and that lots of people were calling for Abbott and Catt to be in over Tindall which is my point.

Have you read Woodward's book? Seem to recall him taking about this a bit, wanting to play Hodgson at 12 to play a more expensive style whilst retaining Wilkinson.

He might have said he wanted to but he clearly didn't think of it highly enough to give him meaningful game time then.

He knew what his partnership was going to be and that was the partnership that he had been playing for around 20+ games.

Already have - his stats at Wasps suggest he must be a brave wee fella to play through so many games with injury.

You're wrong about him being in the squads as well.

Previous to this current one the last time Simpson had a meaningful injury was end of 2011/2012 season.

He has made around 82 appearances since then for wasps.

So the team's announced in half an hour, Wood likely to captain it, Burgess-Slade probable in the centres, what else do we know?

And why has the announcement been brought forward? Lancaster's not trying out Gatland-esque mind games is he?

And why has the announcement been brought forward? Lancaster's not trying out Gatland-esque mind games is he?

Most of the key positions/fringe players have leaked at this point, so he's not revealing much. Probably just wants it out in the open to free up training and avoid any more speculation and hype.

Maybe it's a hat-tip to Saint-Andre. Gentleman's agreement so they can both experiment a bit more; similar to how Gatland and Schmidt supposedly chatted over selection.

So the team's announced in half an hour, Wood likely to captain it, Burgess-Slade probable in the centres, what else do we know?

He knows the type of French team that is going to turn up, and gives the chosen group more time to bed in/mentally adjust for the game. Remember it is 2-3 months since most of them played their last game of rugby, so there is likely to be some rustiness- I think some of the French squad will have played (slightly) more recently in the top 14. Also, as per above- probably not much new is going to be revealed, get over the hype early in the week.

- - - Updated - - -

team to be announced at 5pm according to twitter

CMDyQjFWoAAdw8V.jpg:large

Called it on Farrell!
pretty good looking team- I guess you might conclude that George is on the proverbial plane, with Webber/LCD fighting for third spot (Webber better serve up better than the dross at the end of the season)... wasn't expecting Vunipola to start either- I guess either they anticipated Corbs/Brookes would be a bit weak/untested (it'll be a strong French front row, whoever starts) ...or Corbs is higher up the rankings than we thought?
Mostly what was expected- maybe Care should have started over Wiggle (more pace)- potentially a bit of a stodgy 9-10-12-15 axis

That's as well a balanced pack as I've seen for a while actually- dat ball carrying front row, well balanced lock pairing and a fairly traditional backrow also (relatively)... can't wait to see it. Bit worried about the backline- lots of potential for howlers- both individually and collectively.

Last edited:
4 years of 'meticulous preparation' and we're one injury away from Cipriani at full back and Alex Goode on the wing. God have mercy on our souls.

It was going to happen one day I knew it with Lancaster

But

I don't know how I can support a team with Clark starting in it.

The conflict of emotions I'm having is unreal.

No Ford but Farrell starting at 10
No JJ either

So my question is when are we going to try Brugess with Ford inside him and JJ outside assuming that is the goal.

I know he doesn't want to risk locked in players too much but then why is Farrell (who must be back up 10) starting?

So my question is when are we going to try Brugess with Ford inside him and JJ outside assuming that is the goal.

I Made the exact same point earlier, so true, i dont understand what we will gain, from seeing Burgess there without the #1 fly half and outside centre..

We will still win this game with that team, for a side that is 80% B team, it's bloody strong and shows just how much depth we have in the squad :)

I don't know how I can support a team with Clark starting in it.

I'm also a Northampton Fan and i cant believe Clark is in this team, whats the point? He will never be good enough to have a first team slot..

Last edited:
No Ford but Farrell starting at 10
No JJ either

I know he doesn't want to risk locked in players too much but then why is Farrell (who must be back up 10) starting?

I would assume Ford is seen as a starter, so is not being used in this experimental side. However, I do completely get your point, if Burgess is going to be tested as a starter, it should be with Ford and Joseph.

I am really looking forward to seeing Slade though. As part of the wider squad, is he seen as just a 13? Or a serious back up for 10/12 too?

I'd get it if Cips was starting Cips-Burgess-Slade will give us some idea how it'll work in reality.

I am really looking forward to seeing Slade though. As part of the wider squad, is he seen as just a 13? Or a serious back up for 10/12 too?

I think they see him as a Utility, but main Position 13, as we dont have a terrific amount of depth behind Joseph..

Just seen you Avatar, Good Luck next year in the LS3!! :D:D

Last edited:
I think they see him as a Utility, but main Position 13, as we dont have a terrific amount of depth behind Joseph..

Just seen you Avatar, Good Luck next year in the LS3!! :D:D

Ha ha, thank you, I am too old for pre-season!
Good luck to you guys too

Regarding Burgess, this excerpt from Lancasters interview would seem to suggest that Burgess is in direct competition against the 2 of the 6 centres who are considered as carriers.

I would guess that Burgess, Barritt and Burrell are the carriers?

Meaning 36 and Slade would be the distributors?

And Joseph a distributor and a finisher?

Or is Lancaster only looking at his back three as the finishers? Which would be very un-England like.

"This isn't the team that's going to play against Fiji, this is the team to look at options for us," Lancaster said. "What I've said all along is that we need a balance in our backline, a balance of ball players, carriers and finishers. Sam ticks the ball carriers."

He added: "There are still six centres left and there are three centres - Barritt, Burrell and Joseph - not playing this weekend, so the slots available are getting narrow.

"He's [Burgess] up against two other good players as well, but it's actually about what's right for the team. We will see if he can translate what he's doing in training, which is clearly good otherwise I wouldn't have taken this chance to look at him against France. We'll see how he goes."

Last edited:
Let's see how it goes, let's not rip burgess apart until he's actually gone out on the pitch. I'm guessing Goode will be used in a playmaking capacity, to help out Farrell.
Vunipola, Brookes and Morgan gives us great carrying options. Webbers been given Parling, Wood and Kruis too aim for, hopefully the lineout holds out. The pack as always looks great even with 3rd string guys like Webber, Kruis, Clark.

Status
Not open for further replies.