• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Rugby 2018/19 Thread

Hooker.
Sale make all our 7s play hooker (Briggs, Taylor, cruse, Neild, Dolly)
It's EJ that makes back and 2nd rows interchangeable

Easy mistake to make though as both EJ and Dimes look like a bulldog chewing a wasp

TBH Dimes would have a entire pack of orginally back rowers if he could
2. Neild
4. Nott
5. Beaumont
6. Curry
7. Curry
8. Ross

Just needs to find some short fat back rowers he could make into Props and he would be golden.

Like ARU with Chieka, I think RFU will stick with Jones come what may until after next year's RWC.

Yes, although Cheika's working from the base of a domestic game in crisis. Could anyone else do much better?

Remember what we were all saying in 2015 about it being too soon and 2019 being our golden generation? The question whether anyone else could do better has a different inflection.

2018 results W (dead rubber), L, L, L (Baa Baas), L, L, L, W, W. A couple more "L"s on that really will cause concern. Probably be v expensive to get shot of Jones, but what would the cost be of another poor WC?

TBH Dimes would have a entire pack of orginally back rowers if he could
2. Neild
4. Nott
5. Beaumont
6. Curry
7. Curry
8. Ross

Just needs to find some short fat back rowers he could make into Props and he would be golden.
Sheridan started life at 8

Yes, although Cheika's working from the base of a domestic game in crisis. Could anyone else do much better?

Remember what we were all saying in 2015 about it being too soon and 2019 being our golden generation? The question whether anyone else could do better has a different inflection.

2018 results W (dead rubber), L, L, L (Baa Baas), L, L, L, W, W. A couple more "L"s on that really will cause concern. Probably be v expensive to get shot of Jones, but what would the cost be of another poor WC?

The fact that Jones knows the country next year is a big plus and one that will keep him in the job imo. Getting a new head coach at this stage in the cycle would set England further back. Like Lancaster was Jones will be ultimately judged on next year's RWC.

Yes, there was all the silliness regarding replicating the travel time this autumn, but I, personally, just don't see who else at this point, could make a dramatic improvement as head coach. 2016 and 2017 were papering over cracks as the Squidgy Rugby vid I posted up explained.

Yes, England need an attack coach, as this year we were clueless in attack and it showed. As well as defence (is Mitchell set to replace Gustard?).

Right now I am personally writing off England's chances next year to actually win the WWE trophy. Too many doubts on combinations, game plans a and b and that's not even getting to too few caps in key positions.

Chieka, like Jones, are the best options right now for Australia and England because there are few alternatives. Post RWC there will bound to be a clear out of coaches - either forced or coaches walking away.

So much good stuff in their, a lot replicating what has been discussed in the forums. What I especially like is his discussion about the break down and tackling, because I've been saying the same thing. England smash players back away from their support who can jackal and towards the opposition who can support the runner quicker, where as almost every other side pulls the player down towards their side conceding ground, but giving their supporting players a chance to steal the ball and away from the attackers supporting players. How often did we see England supporting players late to clear out the ruck and so conceding a penalty for holding on. I didn't realise how much of an effect the rule change about tacklers not competing for the ball had had, but this video highlights why England's tackling tactics are all wrong and won''t work under current WR rules.

I can kinda understand where he's coming from, many Prem sides play with defences similar to England and very rarely if every do the thing where 1 player makes the tackle and a second is straight on his shoulder and immediately jackalling, most stand off and reform the defence. As a result many English players don't face this situation until internationals and thus are bad at it.

However this doesn't excuse the tactics Jones has employed and the senior staff he hasn't employed.

So who impressed in week 1?

VR-R looked pretty handy for Glaws. Kvesic got some good reviews for Chiefs. Big Joe had some moments for Barf.

Didn't see any of the Tigers game, but Ford took a bit of stick. Sounded like Manu was largely off the pace.

26 points for Smith. Was he a ringmaster?

Good to see Lawes and Hartley back in action.

How did Schonert do for Wuss?

So who impressed in week 1?

VR-R looked pretty handy for Glaws. Kvesic got some good reviews for Chiefs. Big Joe had some moments for Barf.

Didn't see any of the Tigers game, but Ford took a bit of stick. Sounded like Manu was largely off the pace.

26 points for Smith. Was he a ringmaster?

Good to see Lawes and Hartley back in action.

How did Schonert do for Wuss?

Manu didn't get a touch till the second half did he? Marchant was good as usual and looks good next to someone like Tapuai.
Ford was **** poor tbh.
Mike Brown on the left wing for Quins as well. Don't know whether to read into that or if it was just to sure up our defence against that Sale back 3, but interesting never the less.

On week 1 form, England team
1. Mako
2. George
3. ???
4. Lawes
5. Itoje
6. Simmonds
7. Kvesic
8. ???
9. Care
10. Cipriani
11. Woodburn
12. Farrell
13. Slade
14. Earle
15. Lozowski

Smith definitely deserves a sniff at game time.
Just a shame Cips has been so woefully underutilised because we now need to be getting him as much game time as possible, instead of being able to have him as first choice 10 and then giving Smith the odd bit here and there.

On week 1 form, England team
1. Mako
2. George
3. ???
4. Lawes
5. Itoje
6. Simmonds
7. Kvesic
8. ???
9. Care
10. Cipriani
11. Woodburn
12. Farrell
13. Slade
14. Earle
15. Lozowski

Agree with most of that but I'd have gone with Wilson at 6 with Simmonds at 8.

Will Stuart was easily the top performing tight head but it's a bit soon to be talking about him as an option for England.

There's also that Slade came off the bench and only spent about 10 minutes at OC, and the rest at FB. It's easier to look good off the bench, and have a bit more time and space at FB