• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Rugby 2018/19 Thread

I definatly think Baxter has some qualities that put him up there to be the next England coach but he's not ready yet, he seems to be a good man manager and would be decent as an assistant coach level or forward coach atm maybe but not the top job. But personally feel he needs to develop his coaching first and bring on chiefs attack on the way saints have this season, to show that he can adapt his game plan.

Great Coach and not ready yet
Isn't the Head coach job mor about management rather than coaching. Set the overall plan and let the staff put the coaching together.

Isn't the Head coach job mor about management rather than coaching. Set the overall plan and let the staff put the coaching together.
Yes but at chiefs he has done alot with the squad but he hasnt changed the attack or improved it much from the old game plan, for it to change he needs to say thats what he wants and set out a new plan. Sort of stalled in terms if backs play, made to look better by slades intercepts early on and cordero adding some flare.

Before I want Baxter for England, I need to see him get some of his very talented players beyond being fringe internationals, preferably by playing them in their natural positions.
I also need to see a plan B.
Finally, I'd want to see him do well with a group of players he hasn't had tonnes of time with.

He's very good at maximising the abilities of good-but-not-great players, and getting them executing a simple game plan (very) effectively. But doesn't seem to know quite what to do with very good players, beyond executing a simple game plan very effectively.

He's still young in coaching terms, and it may well come. But I think he's too comfortable in his comfort zone, and isn't pushing himself beyond.

What he IS good at, takes a lot of time with the players - a luxury no England coach gets. Can he turn around a new? Can he get the best out of dozens of individuals he hasn't met before? Can he maximise the top talent?
He might, butnhe hasn't shown it.

I think the real test for Baxter will be securing a European champions cup final at least. That will show that Exeter can deal with the variety of playing styles in Europe, where the Chiefs gameplan doesn't work so well. On the positive side, Sarries played similar to the chiefs a few years ago to build a solid platform and now have added a lot more to it. I think Baxter should be able to do the same as chiefs definitely have that solid base now.

Looking at Southern Hemisphere rugby with their 4 Nation Rugby Championship about to kick off after Super Rugby Season just finished and some players back playing for their clubs...
In contrast what can someone tell me is the Northern Hemisphere doing to prepare for the RWC. Seems like they're all on holidays sitting back with their gin and tonics..??

I mean they just played a full season plus Six Nations...?

They have a rest, a bunch of camps (England have had 2 x week long camps so far) to whittle down the numbers and then go into camp full on, play 4 x warm up games (I think England play Wales home and away, Italy and Ireland) and then travel to Japan

SH: Waaaaah all our players are tired in November waaah

Also SH: lol at having a few weeks off after 9 months of continuous rugby with two international periods thrown in

The irony being that the rugby championship is only three rounds, whereas NH warmups are 4 rounds. They're also a higher standard because no Argentina walkovers

...mate that could be years away................get back to us after you beat Argentina....they been practising all year disguised as the Jaguares for yr RWC pool match.....and no easy beats any more...watch the 4 nations games they'll probably beat Oz and South Africa... they're a good defensive outfit now...

...mate that could be years away................get back to us after you beat Argentina....
Our C side went to Argentina and white washed them.
Last time we lost to Argentina was during the lions tour a decade ago.
Last time a NH side lost against Argentina was 2017 (Italy).
Last time a home nation lost against them was 2015 (Ireland).

They're just not an intimidating side anymore, in the NH.

....sounds like the over confidence that made you trip over yr big dicks last RWC :D ...Fiji another team that has made huge leaps in the last 4 years...looking forward to the upsets...

The last time we came within 2 scores of Fiji was 31 years ago, lol
And that includes the 2015 debacle

... mate Fiji beat France in Paris something that was unheard of until recently ...Mata and Nakarawa are equal to any forwards that England possess....Radradra better than any of your centres one could also argue....plus plenty of other dangermen playing pro rugby they will be dangerous with a capital F...dunno who they will face in the quarters but they will be a team to watch this year... they play the NZ Maoris twice this month in think in Suva.... looking forward to that...

Italy have beat France in Paris, it's not unheard of in the slightest.

But you're obviously a nutjob, so you do you, I guess.

... mate Fiji beat France in Paris something that was unheard of until recently ...Mata and Nakarawa are equal to any forwards that England possess....Radradra better than any of your centres one could also argue....plus plenty of other dangermen playing pro rugby they will be dangerous with a capital F...dunno who they will face in the quarters but they will be a team to watch this year... they play the NZ Maoris twice this month in think in Suva.... looking forward to that...

I'll tell you another thing unheard of until recently. France are crap.

I'd agree with you that Fiji are a dangerous side with some excellent players, but they're not in England's group so the earliest we could possibly face them is the quarter finals. You clearly think we won't make it that far, so it's a moot point.

You clearly think we won't make it that far, so it's a moot point.

Mate England should get out of their pool don;t be daft....throw a few more Kiwis in the team ,a few more league players, another South African , some Nigerians and another Scot and you''be fine..:D

Latest posts