• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Rugby 2018/19 Thread

All this stuff with Joe C isn't great - Bath not told of the extent of his injury during the RWC and it's a real bad one. Wording I saw was that there's a potential it might be career altering.

Mark Wilson has also come back from Japan and straight into the operating theatre, and will be out until next year.

U20s training squad:

Full England U20 squad for November training camp

Lennox Anyanwu – Harlequins
Alfie Barbeary – Wasps
George Barton – Gloucester
Harvey Beaton – Saracens
Joseph Browning – Leicester Tigers
Richard Capstick – Exeter Chiefs
Joseph Carpenter – Sale Sharks
Jack Clement – Gloucester
Phil Cokanasiga – London Irish
Tom Curtis – Sale Sharks
Theodor Dan – Saracens
Connor Doherty – Sale Sharks
Ben Donnell – London Irish
Callum Ford – Sale Sharks
Thomas Freeman – Northampton Saints
Josh Gillespie – Northampton Saints
Josh Gray – Gloucester
Luke Green – London Irish
Gabriel Hamer-Webb – Bath
George Hammond – Harlequins
Will Haydon-Wood – Newcastle Falcons
Josh Hodge – Newcastle Falcons
Emmanuel Iyogun – Northampton Saints
Barrie Karea – Exeter Chiefs
George Martin – Leicester Tigers
Sam Maunder – Exeter Chiefs
Nahum Merigan – Bath
Chunya Munga – London Irish
Zachery Nearchou – Wasps
Oliver Newman – Northampton Saints
Max Ojomoh – Bath
Raphael Quirke – Sale Sharks
Sam Riley – Harlequins
Tom Roebuck- Sale Sharks
Fin Rossiter – London Irish
Oliver Sleightholme – Northampton Saints
Freddie Steward – Leicester Tigers
Oliver Stonham – Saracens
Hugh Tizard – Harlequins
Jarett Tonks – Northampton Saints
Rusitate Tuima – Exeter Chiefs
Jack Van Poortvliet – Leicester Tigers
Manu Vunipola – Saracens
Charlie Watson – Saracens
James Whitcombe – Leicester Tigers

Connor O'Shea named "Director of Performance Rugby", whatever the hell that is

Edit:

"O'Shea will be responsible for the leadership, management and strategic direction of the professional game in England, including managing the playing, coaching and officiating pathways.
O'Shea will also oversee performance rugby operations which include the management around the Professional Game Agreement, Greene King IPA Championship, Tyrrells Premier 15s, Rugby Players Association, medical governance and player welfare, sports science, anti-doping and competition frameworks in a wide-ranging remit. "

Edit:

"O'Shea will be responsible for the leadership, management and strategic direction of the professional game in England, including managing the playing, coaching and officiating pathways.
O'Shea will also oversee performance rugby operations which include the management around the Professional Game Agreement, Greene King IPA Championship, Tyrrells Premier 15s, Rugby Players Association, medical governance and player welfare, sports science, anti-doping and competition frameworks in a wide-ranging remit. "

Is that the job that Nigel Melville has been doing?

Probably for the best. Melville made all the right noises, but appears to have delivered very little.

I'd imagine in the old boys club all the right noises consist of the most humorous renditions of various bodily functions.

Edit:

*goes to hang out the bunting*

Mixed emotions. His tenure did coincide with an upturn in the u20s and Benetton (to a lesser extent Zebre). Pretty annoyed he couldn't be retained as DoR only in Italy, rather than have him stuffing up the national side.

It would be fair to describe me as unsurprised that he hasn't ended up with a coaching job. Hopefully he knows where his strengths lie and will gain personal enjoyment and satisfaction from that.

Be interested to see what his coaching set up is gonna be.

Reports from Daily Mail and Telegraph Matt Proudfoot South African scrum coach is being lined up to replace Neal Hatley.

Just Borthwick and Wisemantel to be replaced next.

On a side not I assume they're not announcing EJ replacement too. Correct me if I'm wrong, I probably am but wasn't the plan a year ago to announced a replacement to work with EJ for 2 years so then EJ can leave in 2021. Do we think they just keep this set up for another 4 years?

Be interested to see what his coaching set up is gonna be.

Reports from Daily Mail and Telegraph Matt Proudfoot South African scrum coach is being lined up to replace Neal Hatley.

Just Borthwick and Wisemantel to be replaced next.

On a side not I assume they're not announcing EJ replacement too. Correct me if I'm wrong, I probably am but wasn't the plan a year ago to announced a replacement to work with EJ for 2 years so then EJ can leave in 2021. Do we think they just keep this set up for another 4 years?
I wonder if we will do that but bring the replacment in as an assistant for 2 year in 2021 to prep them for post world cup, who would be in line for that? Im sure i remember them saying they dont want another forigne coach(am i wrong? I could maybe probably be wrong)

I mean Borthwick might be staying, who knows.

Based on the World Cup, I'd say fingers crossed that he is. IIRC, everything was very good, with the exception of scrummaging, especially in the final, which was someone else's remit.

What does anyone make of this? On the one hand, he has decent credentials having presided over the Springbok scrum and I have no idea what other options there are and how decent they would be. On the other, it seems like a bit of a knee jerk reaction to being stuffed in the final and might be ignoring the level of scrummaging ability in the South African XXIII.

I seem to remember Hatley being very highly regarded when he joined the camp (although maybe I fell for the spin), did he have much of an impact? Should the reports prove true, it will be interesting to see what impact if any there is this time.

What does anyone make of this? On the one hand, he has decent credentials having presided over the Springbok scrum and I have no idea what other options there are and how decent they would be. On the other, it seems like a bit of a knee jerk reaction to being stuffed in the final and might be ignoring the level of scrummaging ability in the South African XXIII.

I seem to remember Hatley being very highly regarded when he joined the camp (although maybe I fell for the spin), did he have much of an impact? Should the reports prove true, it will be interesting to see what impact if any there is this time.

Getting EJ was a knee jerk reaction to him causing an upset against the Springboks in 2015 and England doing so badly. Worked out in the end.

Bit late to the party on O'Shea but he seems to have gotten a job limited to what he did well in Italy without any of the stuff he did badly.

Latest posts