• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Rugby 2019/20 Thread

Hepburn has been floating around the EPS for a while, so wouldn't be surprised to see him in.
How's Obanos scrummaging these days? That was always his weakpoint before

Can't see Wilson being in contention - only played about 90mins since the world cup, and falcons don't have any games until... December?

There is no way on earth Isiekwe would be anywhere near starting as a lock for Chiefs at the moment,given the competition. He would be about 5/6 th in line.
The only reason he would be in front of Hill in a 23 is because he can also play in the back row.

There is no way on earth Isiekwe would be anywhere near starting as a lock for Chiefs at the moment,given the competition. He would be about 5/6 th in line.
The only reason he would be in front of Hill in a 23 is because he can also play in the back row.
Okay no

No issues with Williams as a 3rd choice TH. Haven't seen Heyes recently but good to hear he's progressing......big unit, listed as 6'3" which is pushing it for a TH (yes I know Hayman was taller).

TBH from what I've seen I think both Isiekwe and Hill could do a good job at lock for us. On most recent form I'm leaning towards Hill but I'd like both of them to have a shot at it. Short of injury or a major drop in form, I can't see Itoje dropping out the team for a long time. Lawes and Launchbury are both still very good choices and I think a 4 way battle between them will ensure we have good depth for at least the next world cup cycle, probably the one beyond that too. I think it's a shame Attwood didn't get more of a look in, I really rated him before he moved abroad but it is what it is and he's too old to be investing in now.

Given our potential depth from 4-8 we should have a pretty dominant pack for quite a while. If we can get on top of the scrums and mauls, we could go through the sort of renaissance of forwards play that Bath have suddenly found from nowhere over the Covid period.

Personally I feel there is less of a place for the Vunipolae in the starting squad any more, although I'd really like to see them as impact players again like they were at the start of their international careers. Personally I think coming on and giving it their all for 20-30 minutes is a role that suits them better.

Hepburn has been floating around the EPS for a while, so wouldn't be surprised to see him in.
How's Obanos scrummaging these days? That was always his weakpoint before

Can't see Wilson being in contention - only played about 90mins since the world cup, and falcons don't have any games until... December?

Obano is a decent scrummager. It's not his strong point but I wouldn't say it was a particularly big weakness any more, Bath's recent dominant scrums appear to support that. He is very handy in the loose though and I do think he has been noticeably improving his whole game in the last year or 2. Worth a shot I feel but likely behind Marler, Genge and Mako at the moment.

Last edited:
Right now, I'd be inclined to leave Billy out altogether. He's been in very indifferent form and hasn't adapted well to the stricter interpretation of the breakdown laws (he's been a real penalty magnet).

It feels like a fair while since he's been at his best and with more or less all of our other back row options in much better form, I'd like us to look at some alternative combinations.

Any combination of T. Curry, Underhill, Earl, Willis, T. Hill and Mercer would be fine with me. B. Curry and Ludlam not far off either.

Right now, I'd be inclined to leave Billy out altogether. He's been in very indifferent form and hasn't adapted well to the stricter interpretation of the breakdown laws (he's been a real penalty magnet).

It feels like a fair while since he's been at his best and with more or less all of our other back row options in much better form, I'd like us to look at some alternative combinations.

Any combination of T. Curry, Underhill, Earl, Willis, T. Hill and Mercer would be fine with me. B. Curry and Ludlam not far off either.
It's sad as Billy V is my favourite player but i have to agree, on form, other people should be selected at the moment

I find Binny staying at Sarries odd. He's always said that he needs consistent game time to play well. He's not likely to get that in the Championship - Sarries will want to blood other players and playing Binny at that level will be like schoolboy rugby anyway. He may get a decent break but he's always said he needs that regular game time. Maybe he'll pop up in France or Super rugby.

He's still not even 28, but it feels like his time as an international starter has passed.

I find Binny staying at Sarries odd.
I think part of it is family - all his family is based in that area (his Mom is the one that told him to sign for Saracens, he wanted to stay at Wasps). Unless he could get a gig at another London based side I don't think he'd move away to France or Japan

Who'd buy him anyway? At his best, he's undoubtedly world class, but he's injury prone and will often have big dips in form and motivation (by his own admission). For the salary he'd likely want, I'm not sure I'd see the value for money.

Honestly, if Quins announced we wanted to sign him, I'd be thinking 'that money would be better spent elsewhere'.

I'm not saying I'd consign him to the international wilderness, but I wonder if dropping him when his form doesn't warrant his inclusion might light a bit of a fire under him?

Unfortunately I don't think Dombrandt's been anywhere near as impressive as he was before the break. Didn't he supposedly lose a ton of weight over lockdown? It's really changed his game IMO and made him much less impactful. That said I'd still like to see him, Mercer, Simmonds or Earl get a good run at 8 this October with a proper blindside at 6.

Simmonds is the one in the driving seat i think but does Eddie like him?

I find Binny staying at Sarries odd. He's always said that he needs consistent game time to play well. He's not likely to get that in the Championship - Sarries will want to blood other players and playing Binny at that level will be like schoolboy rugby anyway. He may get a decent break but he's always said he needs that regular game time. Maybe he'll pop up in France or Super rugby.

He's still not even 28, but it feels like his time as an international starter has passed.
I think he's said that he had a convo with Mcall where he told him he wanted to play the championship rather than play all year, they okd that and that's why he agreed to stay

Unfortunately I don't think Dombrandt's been anywhere near as impressive as he was before the break. Didn't he supposedly lose a ton of weight over lockdown? It's really changed his game IMO and made him much less impactful. That said I'd still like to see him, Mercer, Simmonds or Earl get a good run at 8 this October with a proper blindside at 6.
Don't know about the weight drop, but I'm not reading too much into form in this very odd period. Lockdown will have suited some players but not others.

He wasn't barnstorming at the weekend but it was noticeable how quick he was chasing kick offs. Gave a beautiful offload for a late try too. I still think he's the future, but he's a naturally big heavy duty bloke that we shouldn't try to turn into Tom Croft.

Mercer on the other hand has been in fantastic form since lockdown and has a real "never say die" attitude, which has had ever since U20 and even earlier. He definitely seems like a real fighter and a motivator for the team. He also has that bit of an x-factor about him. At the moment he can try too be a bit too clever for his own good but I think with time he will better judge when to perform some tricks and when to keep it simple. If I had to pick an England team to play this weekend based on post-lockdown form, I'd have as my pack:
1 - Genge
2 - LCD
3 - Sinckler
4 - Itoje
5 - Hill
6 - Earl
7 - Curry
8 - Mercer

Willis and Simmonds in close contention. Harsh on Underhill and I'd happily swap him out for Earl too. Argh why couldn't we have had 3 or so of these flankers 4 years ago? Bloody parents should have got busy earlier.

Apprentice, probably

Let's see how his scrummaging and throwing in measures up at senior level before throwing him in at the deep end...

Apprentice, probably

Let's see how his scrummaging and throwing in measures up at senior level before throwing him in at the deep end...
Obvs way too early but you can't help but get excited at the potential.

Although if you give Eddie a couple of years he'll probably come up with....

6. Lawes
7. Barbeary
8. Curry

Latest posts