• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Rugby 2019/20 Thread

I wrote above that I assume no Sharks have been picked due to Covid, but I guess Curry has the all clear. If Sharks players are available then I'd still want Ben in, Any of Sam Hill, Sam or Luke James would be an improvement.
Realistically the only Sale players in contention are the Curry twins, and Ben is injured
If this were a true Barbarians game, rather than being used to get the first XV players game time before the 6N/Autumn Cup, then I think Luke James would've had a look in (and maybe Sam James, but he'd be a lot further down the pecking order).

Though if Furbank can get in the squad the Luke James should easily be there. Sam has been far better than Francis this season too (though I'm not saying he should be there - I'm amazed that Francis is there over Redpath, though, who has had multiple camps with England and been on fire for Bath. Maybe he'll crop up in the Scotland squad instead?).

Biggest misses in this are Spencer and McConnochie who have arguably been the top EQP in their positions in the prem since lockdown.

I'm not saying the whole squad is ****, just that there's some pretty glaring errors in there IMO

Realistically the only Sale players in contention are the Curry twins, and Ben is injured
If this were a true Barbarians game, rather than being used to get the first XV players game time before the 6N/Autumn Cup, then I think Luke James would've had a look in (and maybe Sam James, but he'd be a lot further down the pecking order).

Though if Furbank can get in the squad the Luke James should easily be there. Sam has been far better than Francis this season too (though I'm not saying he should be there - I'm amazed that Francis is there over Redpath, though, who has had multiple camps with England and been on fire for Bath. Maybe he'll crop up in the Scotland squad instead?).

Biggest misses in this are Spencer and McConnochie who have arguably been the top EQP in their positions in the prem since lockdown.

I'm not saying the whole squad is ****, just that there's some pretty glaring errors in there IMO
I agree, I just think we'll have more to complain about after the final when the squad barely changes and Furbank, Crossdale, Francis, Youngs, Heinz etc... are all still there.

I do wonder if Furbank trained very well and impressed EJ in the 6N. So he sees potential even if he didnt have the best games in his first caps but Im hoping he is saving a position for Malins as he as always impressed me when given a shot.

As Clive Woodward, the Rugby World Cup winning manager once said "I watch football whenever I can. There is a passion in football that you don't see in rugby" Not my words, the words of England's greatest rugby manager ever

As Clive Woodward, the Rugby World Cup winning manager once said "I watch football whenever I can. There is a passion in football that you don't see in rugby" Not my words, the words of England's greatest rugby manager ever
1v2wAX7IUobN.gif

Furbank has lots of potential and a year ago I'd be saying he should be picked but his performances this last year haven't been great or even solid (but that could be said about all the saints players).

I get having Francis in the squad though. He's got a lot of experience and he's a solid head with very good defence. He's someone who knows the systems while we miss Slade and Manu. He can't be a long term option though. Surely not.

I can kinda understand some omissions and repeated selections but our situation at scrumhalf makes no sense at all. Youngs and Heinz will be 34 and 36 respectively if they went to the next world cup. Off the top of my head I can't think of any scrumhalves who have been that old at a world cup. It's not like they are so fantastic we want to keep hold of them, there is absolutely no reason to retain either. The scrumhalf situation was stupid 2 years ago and is gradually getting more and more ridiculous. Giving more caps to the pair of them is just further reducing the chance of bedding in suitable alternatives. Realistically we could be looking at 3 years tops experience for 1 replacement and probably even less if he gets a 2nd replacement.

Ford injured and out of camp, not sure if that's permanent or just rehabbing at home while the rest prepare for Baabaas

Ben Earl, Kyle Sinckler and Max Malins added to the squad

That seems positive overall. Bristol players now available with Wasps getting the green light.

Really enjoyed watching Malins play this season. Would love to see him do well at international level.
But every time I see him I only see 'Johns' the villian from Pitch Black or 2 Fast 2 Furious

Attachments

• 59A0BD84-4384-4021-909A-2FBAE812536C.jpeg
    59A0BD84-4384-4021-909A-2FBAE812536C.jpeg
    107.8 KB · Views: 4
FB_IMG_1603712059168.jpg

As expected, really.

Umaga over Simmonds is no.1 bullshit, but was inevitable.

Edit: Nowell explained below

Last edited:
Daily Mail reporting:
"Jack Willis to win call-up to England's autumn Test squad following award-winning displays at Wasps... but Exeter stars Luke Cowan-Dickie and Jack Nowell both miss out through injury"

Daily Mail seem to usually be in the know, even during these Eddie years.

Pleased to see Jack there. Really please to see another scrum half actually in form there for Robson. But still confused by lack of Spencer.

Gutted for LCD requiring an operation and Nowell being injured. Was this known? Or happened as a result of the last two finals?

Launchbury is a great and also known option. But is this at the expense of Hill who could be a potential great too? And what about Sam Simmonds, won pretty much everything he could but maybe gets left too if this information is taken literally.

Then there is the question of Umaga vs Joe Simmonds. Yes, I am a biased Wasps supporter, but I feel that Umaga is more of an apprentice addition, just for learning and experience as he still needs to develop. Whereas Joe should be a full call up especially as cover whilst Ford is injured.

Maybe my overall question is if Eddie is limited to changes whilst we are still in the 2019/20 EPS squad agreement, I.e. Launchbury, Jacob both included before. And if there will be full squad changes before the new season 2020/21 and the 8N?

Edit:
Just seen the squad announcement! It is for the 8N too. When does the part change timing and the full squad change timing meant to happen?
Jonny Hill is in there too.

Robson and Heinz in it but we all know my man Ben is going to be playing 70 minutes
ofifZ.gif

Ok so looking at that the backline will most likely be
9. Youngs, 10. Farrell
Who cares who is outside cause they aren't getting the ball....
12. Slade, 13. JJ (Should be lawrence and Marchant IMO)
11. May, 14. Cokanasigna, 15. Watson

Latest posts