• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Rugby 2019/20 Thread

Born in South London, Sarries academy, all England age grades (including a junior world cup win), England Saxons

As welsh as they come, butt

Love there's a thread about England talking to LRZ when he first signed for Gloucester academy and how we're trying to poach the world, but Wales are set to name two more Englishmen in their squad and not a whisper...

Nah, Wales Online are preparing a big article on it right now, talking about how Wales got one over on Eddie Jones by selecting Tompkins. Right next to the article about how Wales got one over on Eddie Jones by selecting LRZ. :rolleyes:

Sure it's not great but hardly a big loss.

Yeah, I don't think he was ever likely to get a full England call-up, though presumably Eddie could still name him in his 6N squad and we could see a tug-o-war, which could be fun. But Tompkins has always been a fringe player, and that's the bit I often struggle with when it comes to these sorts of allegiance switches. Why would Wales select a player who wasn't good enough to play for a team that is a rival to Wales for the tournament? If Tompkins is not good enough for England, how does selecting him make Wales better? It reminds me of the Brad Shields selection: England were chasing the All-Blacks, trying to become the top side in the world, yet picked a player the All-Blacks deemed not good enough to get in their team. I struggle to get my head round these kinds of moves, not from the players, but from the selectors. :confused:

Make that three, Will Rowlands has remembered his caravan holiday in Abergavveny and gotten himself a call up
The WRU probably think that his education at Pembroke College meant that he was bought up in a small town outside Milford Haven.

Just read nick tompkins from sarries could be getting a Wales call up...i didnt even know he was eligible and big loss for us if true.
Good player, but not a huge loss. A potential option gone, that's all.

Meet the new welsh rugby stars that England tried to poach by having them being born in England

It's funny, the BBC comments board is going nuts about how England have lost one of their greatest ever players to Wales, and Wales Online now have the predicted article up about how upset the English are that Wales have got one over on them by selecting such a brilliant, brilliant player, yet not one Englishman on this board seems that bothered about it. :cool:

Honestly, for me he's always been a good club player, but far from outstanding. Nothing about him screams 'international'. Eddie's always said he wants players to have a 'point of difference', and Tompkins just hasn't. I imagine he'll be an average international at best, and that's not what this England team is gunning for these days. Under Lancaster, yes, but under Eddie, we just expect more.

Still, I seem to remember a lot of crowing a while back about Wales getting one over on the All-Blacks by selecting Hadleigh Parkes... :D

I rate Tompkins very highly - I'm guessing he's been told he's not on the radar for England, otherwise he wouldnt have gone for Wales.
Does seem odd, though, considering he's been around the England squad a lot.

I rate Tompkins very highly - I'm guessing he's been told he's not on the radar for England, otherwise he wouldnt have gone for Wales.
Has he? The Saxons tour a few years is ago is the only time I can remember. Happy to be corrected though.

Tomkins at 24 is one for the future.i can see in 4yrs time england regretting this
I agree and his issue is he has been stuck behind barrett but had always shown potential. He has had a good season and i was hoping he would get a chance. Who else do we have who has that a point of difference? Lawrence potentially? But he wont be ready for a few years yet. Who else do we have doing well who is ready?.

Lawrence is the guy I have very big hopes for. I really hope to see him come through as a good 12 for us.

Has he? The Saxons tour a few years is ago is the only time I can remember. Happy to be corrected though.
Yikes didn't realise it was that long ago - I was under the impression he'd held tackle bags or something before (maybe before a barbarians or Argentina tour or something?)

I guess it does make sense he'd start researching on ancestry.com to see if there's anywhere else he could play

Tomkins at 24 is one for the future.i can see in 4yrs time england regretting this

Well, maybe, but in 4 years time we could be world champions. Who can say?

Ultimately it comes down to Tompkins: he can refuse the call-up and fight to get into the England squad if he wishes. If he'd rather not do that and would rather give up and play for Wales instead, good luck to him. I hope he'll be happy with the occasional 6-nations ***le and long losing runs against the southern hemisphere. :D

Dingwall also looks great
He looked great U20s level, but havnt seen alot of him apart from a couple of games off the bench where i dont think he really stood out for me but hope im wrong.

He looked great U20s level, but havnt seen alot of him apart from a couple of games off the bench where i dont think he really stood out for me but hope im wrong.
Got quite a few starts last season at 13 and looked impressive. Unfortunately with Proctor coming in and Francis and Hutchinson still around (plus Mallinder if they ever move him back to the right position) I can't see him getting much game time in the centres.

Why would Wales select a player who wasn't good enough to play for a team that is a rival to Wales for the tournament?

Given England's much vaunted strength in depth and Wales lack thereof, it doesn't seem to strange to me. Furthermore, I'd be surprised if there isn't a scrum half left out by the other 5 nations who most posters wouldn't be pleased to see added to the England squad!

Given England's much vaunted strength in depth and Wales lack thereof, it doesn't seem to strange to me. Furthermore, I'd be surprised if there isn't a scrum half left out by the other 5 nations who most posters wouldn't be pleased to see added to the England squad!
True. I'd take Caolin Blade in a heartbeat.

He's primarily a 13 which is an incredibly competitive position with experienced options (+ Marchant) that can all go through to France. Others may emerge.

Good player, but with no obvious points of difference. Not a first choice for his club either. His decision is entirely rational. Good luck to him.

Latest posts