• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Rugby 2019/20 Thread

So if Kruis is off to Japan , unless a PL team comes in I assume he won't picked for 6N. Little odd to be moving away he'll only be 33 at the next World Cup. But I guess with so much competition at lock and I bet what ever team he signs for in Japan he's getting paid.

I assume Ewels based on previous EJ squads jumps to 4th choice maybe either Stooke and Isiekwe for 5th choice. EJ usually goes with 5 locks in his 6N squads.

Pretty pervasive rumour that Launch is getting dropped as well, which if true strikes me as at least odd, if not mad. Huge strength in depth to two first choice (that often don't work that well together imo) and two/three relative unknowns

EJ sees lock and 6 as interchangable so I think Isiekwe is nailed on,

Launch getting dropped would be a shame but not unsurprising - EJ doesn't seem to rate him that highly, at least compared to the alternatives

I do wonder what EJ does with Kpoku does he just select him like Maro 4 years ago? I think he'll be in training squad as an apprentice most likely. If Launch and Kruis are gone any 2 out of Ribbans, Hill, Ewels and Stooke and Isiekwe isn't bad at all.

I rate Isiekwe very highly. I don't know why he keeps getting played on the flank for Saracens but in terms of lock play I really don't think it'd take too long for him to be better than Itoje.
Agreed although very different types of player.

I think Isiekwe is pretty consistent, not too prone to daft mistakes, fairly mobile, decent hands and brings size and natural strength (apparently he's pretty much unmatched in the gym at Sarries.....I know, I know, but strength isn't a bad trait for a tight forward).

What he probably won't bring are the occasional 10/10 performances that Itoje pulls out and we all remember. Few do, including Itoje most weeks.

Sarries aren't a bad judge of a player and he's already racked up 55 appearances for them and doesn't turn 22 until April. Time to get him involved, he's got a much higher ceiling than Ewels and Stooke etc. Investing now could bring real dividends in a couple of years.

I do wonder what EJ does with Kpoku does he just select him like Maro 4 years ago? I think he'll be in training squad as an apprentice most likely. If Launch and Kruis are gone any 2 out of Ribbans, Hill, Ewels and Stooke and Isiekwe isn't bad at all.
No.

9 appearances off the bench doesn't warrant being anywhere near the national squad. Apprentices are a pointless concept - Smith and Mercer are totally out of the picture at the moment. Originally trialled with Paul Sampson years ago whose international career went precisely nowhere.

No.

9 appearances off the bench doesn't warrant being anywhere near the national squad. Apprentices are a pointless concept - Smith and Mercer are totally out of the picture at the moment. Originally trialled with Paul Sampson years ago whose international career went precisely nowhere.

Of course it doesn't but this is Eddie Jones. Who selected a player with a just hand full of 15 caps after a 7s career for a World Cup squad. He has a history of picking players that has never been played club rugby before for international games. Pretty sure I could go through every squad EJ has picked and find a selection with similar circumstances like this. For EJ 9 sub appearances for a great prospect being selected isn't out the question.

As I said he won't be selected just seen his name banded about but he could be an apprentice in 6N, which btw you're right this squad apprentice is pointless but EJ will still do it.

No.

I disagree on the apprentice tag being pointless, it gives a chance for young players with potential to give an account of themselves without the pressure of being picked or not. Now i dont agree if it takes someone away from U20s team but still as an addition to the EPS.

If Kruis and Launchbury are dropped I don't think it will hurt that much tbh. Isiekwe and i'd say Hill both deserve places anyway. Plus it's probably the area other than the back row where we have quality and quantity and youngsters to work with.

I disagree on the apprentice tag being pointless, it gives a chance for young players with potential to give an account of themselves without the pressure of being picked or not. Now i dont agree if it takes someone away from U20s team but still as an addition to the EPS.

Let them give an account of themselves on the pitch rather than being prematurely labelled as the second coming (Smith was barely out of school, Sampson was still at school. But once their performances have stacked up and they look like being able to cut the mustard then there shouldn't be any delay in getting them into the squad.

All this would be academic if we had a fricking Saxons.

Kruis to Japan is only a rumour, and even if he does go, it won't be till the end of the season, so he's highly likely to be in this year's 6N.

Where's the Launch-being-dropped rumour coming from? I found the Kruis rumour in the Daily Fail, but couldn't find anything about Launch with a google search.

Let them give an account of themselves on the pitch rather than being prematurely labelled as the second coming (Smith was barely out of school, Sampson was still at school. But once their performances have stacked up and they look like being able to cut the mustard then there shouldn't be any delay in getting them into the squad.

All this would be academic if we had a fricking Saxons.

Yeah, why not revive the Saxons and have them play Tier 2 sides, like in the old Churchill Cup. World Rugby keep talking about giving the Tier 2s more matches with Tier 1, so everyone would be a winner.

Yeah, why not revive the Saxons and have them play Tier 2 sides, like in the old Churchill Cup. World Rugby keep talking about giving the Tier 2s more matches with Tier 1, so everyone would be a winner.
I doubt the Saxons turn much of a profit so the blazers wouldn't be winners and unfortunately they're the ones organising the games.

I doubt the Saxons turn much of a profit so the blazers wouldn't be winners and unfortunately they're the ones organising the games.

Aye, that's true. And I reckon Premiership clubs would have something to say about England using twice as many of their players each year to make two full England squads. :rolleyes:

IIRC, when the Churchill Cup was disbanded; it was England who were most keen on keeping it going, but USA and Canada decided that they weren't getting anything out of losing to the Saxons / Wolfhounds etc, so wanted to play our test teams or nothing.
Equally, the Churchill Cup was never about profit (for the RFU, who funded most of it) - it was to financially asist the USA and Canada, and the expence written off as development costs and PR for the RFU.

I'd love to a see a 2nd XV's 6N, and I'd love to see the Saxons assembled and sent out on tour each summer - but if the potential hosts don't want them, then there's only so much point to doing it.

Saxons games should only be played in the summer IMO.
Imagine the sarries team if England and England Saxons played at the same time, they have brought through some great players full internations and up and coming so their team would be heavily depleted.
No way they could go during the season. But that would be great for a summer tour for the saxons with no players that played for the elite team. Players play 7s in the summer so why not have others playing 15s.

Imagine the sarries team if England and England Saxons played at the same time, they have brought through some great players full internations and up and coming so their team would be heavily depleted.
No way they could go during the season. But that would be great for a summer tour for the saxons with no players that played for the elite team. Players play 7s in the summer so why not have others playing 15s.
But then, IMO, the clubs shouldn't be playing first XV matches during the 6N either - they should be playing development (cap limited) sides against each other, and the champioship clubs. - joined up thinking and all that

Latest posts