• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Rugby 2020/21 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to see Willis start. But not liking Joseph starting on the wing.

Listening to Sam Simmonds on Flats' podcast and it's interesting to hear that EJ's essentially said to him (and several other Chiefs players, including his brother) that the reason they aren't selected for England is that Exeter play with too much structure and that EJ doesn't like that because he wants heads up rugby players.

Seems like mental reasoning after what we've seen against Italy and Georgia. England are comfortably the international side who play with the most regimented structure/game plan at the moment.

Listening to Sam Simmonds on Flats' podcast and it's interesting to hear that EJ's essentially said to him (and several other Chiefs players, including his brother) that the reason they aren't selected for England is that Exeter play with too much structure and that EJ doesn't like that because he wants heads up rugby players.

Seems like mental reasoning after what we've seen against Italy and Georgia. England are comfortably the international side who play with the most regimented structure/game plan at the moment.
...I've been saying this for a while, England don't play heads up rugby. I honestly can't get my head around EJ. There is a clear gap between what he says and what we see.

laugh laughing GIF

If Jones is genuinely looking for a winger who could function as a centre then surely he should be picking Nowell? Seems like the most natural fit for a roaming winger.

If Jones is genuinely looking for a winger who could function as a centre then surely he should be picking Nowell? Seems like the most natural fit for a roaming winger.
We don't need roaming wingers. We've got some exceptional ones that we need to use properly.

I think Watson touched the ball twice against Italy and May looks a shadow of the player who was being lauded as best in the world not so long ago (although that could be the Glaws effect...).

We don't need roaming wingers. We've got some exceptional ones that we need to use properly.

I think Watson touched the ball twice against Italy and May looks a shadow of the player who was being lauded as best in the world not so long ago (although that could be the Glaws effect...).
Not saying whether I agree with his thinking or not but if that is what he wants, then Nowell is the winger who can play that role the best IMO (or perhaps big joe alternating between wing and a tuilagi style 13?) Watson would definitely be the best winger for a kick chase and competing in the air game.

May single handedly got us back in the game against France that allowed us to salvage the bonus point and win the ***le. Bit harsh just based on a couple of games to say he is an shadow of the player.

I'm guessing he's talking about this international period rather than last
I thought May was poor yesterday - back to his crabbing, indecisive stepping and then that kick....
Looks like he's being asked to play differently to how he was previously - which would make sense as he's the only winger on the pitch so has double the work to do

Definitely agree he hasn't had a great start to the Autumn, but a shadow of his former self is a bit premature imo. On top of being the only winger yesterday, with the amount that Farrell is kicking he barely got a chance to show what he can do.

Definitely agree he hasn't had a great start to the Autumn, but a shadow of his former self is a bit premature imo. On top of being the only winger yesterday, with the amount that Farrell is kicking he barely got a chance to show what he can do.
It's not even like Farrells kicks were ones he could chase and run on to, most of it was completely ineffective. Farrell has almost single handedly played May out of the games.

I do think May plays better worth Ford.
But that makes sense they are extremely good friends and during their time at leicester it was prob just Youngs, Ford and May training with each other.....

May single handedly got us back in the game against France that allowed us to salvage the bonus point and win the ***le. Bit harsh just based on a couple of games to say he is an shadow of the player.
I did say that it was the way they are being used......albeit Olyy's right about some of May's old traits returning. But maybe that's partly because he's not getting the chance to do what he does best.

Both May and Watson are decent in the air if not exactly Gaelic footballers. But their USPs are what they can do with their pace in open space - they're potential game changers. Same goes for Thorley and Daly to a large extent. There's little point pairing these with what seems to be the current game plan.

Nowell and Coka bring different things and we shouldn't even be thinking about JJ on a wing.

It's the lack of ambition and tactical flexibility in the last couple of games that's got my goat - comfortably the worst 2 teams we're likely to play for a while. I'm not talking about Baa Baas style chucking it about, but working the opportunities through smart play, seeing them and then going for it. Yes it was raining in the second half yesterday, but the Georgians managed to get a few passes going.

And if we don't have enough confidence to mix it up a bit vs Italy or Georgia what's it going to look like when the pressure's on chasing a game against better opposition?

Maybe the way England are playing is because Jones wants heads up rugby and we actually have Farrell who is used to so many systems at Sarries?

Ive no idea how international set ups work but do we think the English players are capable of heads up rugby when you look at the club game?

Maybe the way England are playing is because Jones wants heads up rugby and we actually have Farrell who is used to so many systems at Sarries?

Ive no idea how international set ups work but do we think the English players are capable of heads up rugby when you look at the club game?
Last year saw 2 of the best Eng performances in ages in Ire in the 6N and NZ in the RWC. A few personnel changes since, but the core's the same and the players are more than capable if they're let off the leash by coach or captain.

Last year saw 2 of the best Eng performances in ages in Ire in the 6N and NZ in the RWC. A few personnel changes since, but the core's the same and the players are more than capable if they're let off the leash by coach or captain.

I guess this is the big question. Is it that the players aren't executing the tactics properly or is it that they are being limited by the coaches? I personally think it's more the latter, but maybe they are just a bit rusty after such a long break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts