Tommy Freeman (Northampton Saints)
Will Joseph (London Irish)
Dan Lancaster (Leeds Tykes)
Tommy Mathews (Northampton Saints)
Raffi Quirke (Sale Sharks)
Tom Roebuck (Sale Sharks)
Fin Smith (Worcester Warriors)
Jack van Poortvliet (Leicester Tigers)

Any news on if Saracens will get any games in Jan, even friendlies? Now the Championship isn't starting till March. I do wonder how EJ will work this Saracens situation. Not playing any competitive games for 3 months, Farrell, Maro, Billy and Mako can't fit enough to start against Scotland.

There was talk, a few weeks back, of Saracens organising a pre-season competition with some other clubs but I doubt they'll get that signed off considering the new lockdown restrictions

When the alternatives are Furbank and Daly it's not even a hypetrain, it's just a necessity.
Sorted that for you.

Impressive though. A full back who can catch a high ball - must be getting plenty of practice from George "Ticking Time Bomb" Ford in training.

Well he did have a very good game therefore is a lions starter

Yeah, he should be peaking nicely when the next tour comes around in 2025......

I'll just point out the mad thing is that Watson plays fullback and is actually pretty good under a high ball.....

Reactions: ALJ
Aye, but when EJ clearly doesn't see him as an option there the point is moot

I'm not saying start Steward - I'm saying bring him into the EPS for Furbank (or at the very least as an apprentice).

Watson was poor under the high ball yesterday. I thought he was seriously outshone by Steward .
He was but I'd put that more down to an off day by Watson, he has a proven track record of being very good under the high ball. Likewise Steward doesn't yet have a proven record of being good under it. If in a few games he puts out the same performances though then I'll happily eat my words.

The main question is can he fit in to the system Jones wants? Jones is clearly a system person and if you don't fit, you don't get in regardless of how good you are.

Havnt seem enough of this guy to make any judgement on him tbh. Seen him once or twice and he was ok. And yesterday was very good in all aspects of a FB which is very promising.

What does he have in the way of pace, step, power and passing game?

EJ moved Daly to 15 with him having not mastered any of the skills a FB needs to international standard but he did have the pace and a passing game. If he wants to be in EJs England he needs a full skillset.

Havnt seem enough of this guy to make any judgement on him tbh. Seen him once or twice and he was ok. And yesterday was very good in all aspects of a FB which is very promising.

EJ moved Daly to 15 with him having not mastered any of the skills a FB needs to international standard but he did have the pace and a passing game. If he wants to be in EJs England he needs a full skillset.
I know what you mean, but I don't think that's right, at least not in all positions. For instance Binny and Manu, 2 of his staples are pretty one dimensional.

I guess it depends what Jones wants from a FB. He now seems to see it more as an attacking position eg Daly. Personally I think the first prerequisite should be defensive and solidity under the high ball. But then again I think props ought to be able to scrummage.

Steward is a natural 15. He's tall about 6'4" and athletic so power is not a problem. I'm not sure how good his acceleration is, but he is quick over the ground with a long stride.

I wouldn't have said he's a real side stepper, but his footwork has looked pretty decent.

He's looked confident under the high ball every time I've seen him play, seems to have good positioning and solid tackling and also has a massive boot.

In summary, a lot to like.

OK so having watch all of stewards pro games and some a-league + academy games this is my feelings on him.
Strengths
In the air at 6ft 5 it's something you would hope would be the case, this weekend wasn't a one off he is extremely safe in the air. When he first started in the prem his positioning was a little off but seems to be fixed quite quickly.
Tackling not a bruiser tackler but generally very good last man defender.
Carrying very strong runner on the whole played 13 at times. Has a very rangey running style that generally means at the very least he can get his his hands free for offloads.
Offloading/short passes very good
Kicking has a howitzer on him also a handy goal kicker though not a first choice one (nailed a 50m kick v Saints last season)

Weakness
Passing off his left/longer distance passing it needs work he can pass fine off his right but left and once you get past a certain distance it becomes a lot weaker, certainly not a playmaking 15, he's good at spotting holes and running off the 10/12,
Acceleration/stepping at 6ft 5 he isn't going to be a Cordero/Hodge type 15 never will, he can beat the first man most of the times and he does cover a lot of ground quickly but just doesn't have that ability to do stop and go.

Personally I don't see him being on the England frame outside of a potential tour during the lions and apprenticeships

Reactions: BPM
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts