• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Rugby 2020/21 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
PAAAOOOLLLOOOOOOOO

In more serious words. I wouldn't mind a slightly inexperienced England side for the 6 nations. The Egg Chasers suggested a 2nd string england team wouldn't do too badly.

Also Redpath has been called up to Scotland Squad. Bath just posted about it.

Would rather have gotten Redpath than keep Odogwu

But we need both 12's and attacking 13's IMO so glad Odogwu is involved.

Would rather have gotten Redpath than keep Odogwu

Sounds like Bryan finally convinced him to take that leap. Suppose he's most likely guaranteed a starting spot.

Whichever of Thorley/Marchant would've made the cut, I guess

Would be very surprised if Odogwu made a reduced squad, though - as good as he's been he does have some flaws, and Eddie likes his backs to be kickers and/or moonlight as 15s, neither of which he is
With Bath's COVID break out, it's possible Joseph or Watson could be missing out.

Big problem at tighthead if we can't pick Sinckler or Stuart.

I read that if Bath Bristol is postponed that pushes Sinckler's ban back so he'd miss the 2nd game too.

What's he like chasing the high ball?

Huh, I assumed that all the teams were being restricted to 28 players as opposed to literally only England. That should spice things up!

Shame about Redpath, but given that his dad was a Scotland international it's hard to feel like we've been poached.

Nope. Part of me thinks it's grossly unfair, but the other part thinks that it makes little difference given Eddie normally uses about 28/29 players anyway.

WillGriff John snubbed by Wales again, get him on the blower
Not a terrible shout TBH. I'll be worried if we start the tournament with Harry Williams as first choice.

How many good young players are England going to miss out on because Jones has his favourites? We will end up losing Randall to Wales if he's not careful.

Nick Schonert has been on the fringe of the squad a couple of times

How many good young players are England going to miss out on because Jones has his favourites? We will end up losing Randall to Wales if he's not careful.
I'm sorry but this is just such a mental thing to say. People act as though all these guys we're losing to the other home nations are guys who are banging the door down for selection and tearing up the international scene once they debut for another nation. Realistically, if he wasn't dual qualified would anyone be suggesting that Redpath should make a 28-man England squad? I really can't see him turning out to be any more than an average international for Scotland, the same as Tompkins, Rowlands and Williams have for Wales.

Ultimately it is a shame that we've lost Redpath but when picking a very small squad of players, can it honestly be said that this 6N a 10-12 combo of Farrell/Ford-Redpath would be any better than Ford-Farrell? I'd say almost certainly not.

Not a bad shout, either

Gonna be interesting to see how strict this bubble is, considering we could have a up to 5 Bath players self isolating (guessing at the squad - Stuart/Ewels/Underhill/JJ/Watson), and Sinckler banned - can we name them but have others come in as cover?
Do we have to just not pick some of them as we'd be left with only 22 players if all of those are unavailable for the opener etc.

Not a bad shout, either

Gonna be interesting to see how strict this bubble is, considering we could have a up to 5 Bath players self isolating (guessing at the squad - Stuart/Ewels/Underhill/JJ/Watson), and Sinckler banned - can we name them but have others come in as cover?
My guess would be that we can't, as presumably those players who come in as cover would still have to isolate before going back to their clubs.

if he wasn't dual qualified would anyone be suggesting that Redpath should make a 28-man England squad?
When the alternatives are Farrell and Slade?
Absolutely

Redpath is the first loss that's in a position we're desperate in - I think Polledri is a big loss too, but we've got a huge number backrowers already.

My guess would be that we can't, as presumably those players who come in as cover would still have to isolate before going back to their clubs.
That's rough, then - as we'd only have 22men

Maybe that's where the rumours of Odogwu have come from - he was all set to be called up by Italy, but if JJ and Watson are both doubts...

When the alternatives are Farrell and Slade?
Absolutely

Redpath is the first loss that's in a position we're desperate in - I think Polledri is a big loss too, but we've got a huge number backrowers already.
I don't really see why everyone sees Farrell as being such a weak option for us at 12. In EJ's tenure, we've always looked best with him in that shirt. Maybe Redpath would become a better option than him in the future but for this 6N at the very least Farrell is still comfortably the better option.

Yeah - that's pretty much my line of thinking ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts