• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Six Nations squad 2022

Tooting Carmen

First XV
TRF Legend

England's Six Nations squad

Forwards

Alfie Barbeary*, Jamie Blamire, Ollie Chessum*, Luke Cowan-Dickie, Tom Curry, Alex Dombrandt, Charlie Ewels, Ellis Genge, Jamie George, Joe Heyes, Jonny Hill, Maro Itoje, Courtney Lawes, Lewis Ludlam, Joe Marler, Bevan Rodd, Sam Simmonds, Kyle Sinckler, Will Stuart

Backs

Mark Atkinson, Orlando Bailey*, Owen Farrell, Tommy Freeman*, George Furbank, Ollie Hassell-Collins, Max Malins, Joe Marchant, Jonny May, Luke Northmore*, Jack Nowell, Raffi Quirke*, Harry Randall, Henry Slade, Marcus Smith, Freddie Steward, Ben Youngs.

*=uncapped player.

I dont think any of Smith Dombrandt or Marchant did themselves any harm last night.

But i will say Dombrandt was used in the wide channels where as i hope EJ doesnt try and use him as a battering ram into brick walls.

I dont think any of Smith Dombrandt or Marchant did themselves any harm last night.

But i will say Dombrandt was used in the wide channels where as i hope EJ doesnt try and use him as a battering ram into brick walls.
What are you talking about, Eddie never asks that of his No 8s.

Ugo. Shut. Up. Shut the **** up.

Just a reminder of this, against Scotland last year - perfect use of a 6 on 2*
Perfect example of why George Ford has to go.

file.php

What do you mean, Ford wasn't on the pitch?
Ah well, it's not like 1 try here or there would have made a difference anyway - it's not like we were ever going to lose to Scotland at Twickenham.

*The 7 were: Slade and Lawrence close in, Daly wrapping around to hit the line between Lawrence and Watson with May out wide, and George ready to help out if anyone is stupid enough to take the ball into contact.
The 2 were: Ritchie and Maitland.
Thankfully, no-one was stupid enough to take the ball into contact.

Last edited:

file.php

Ah well, it's not like 1 try here or there would have made a difference anyway - it's not like we were ever going to lose to Scotland at Twickenham.

*The 7 were: Slade and Lawrence close in, Daly wrapping around to hit the line between Lawrence and Watson with May out wide, and George ready to help out if anyone is stupid enough to take the ball into contact.
And Scotland were down to 14, and 13 of their players are in that picture so two passes and they've got 1 player defending against almost our entire backline
I'd honestly forgotten how bad that play was, it's so much worse than I remember

file.php

He's starting to do it again for Leicester, too... just in time for the 6N.

Farrell has been ruled out for the entire tournament as he needs surgery on his ankle.

Wonder if that's it for his England career. Jones binned Hartley after an extend period out with injury. If England perform well in the 6Ns then it will make things difficult for Jones.

Wonder if that's it for his England career. Jones binned Hartley after an extend period out with injury. If England perform well in the 6Ns then it will make things difficult for Jones.
It would certainly overcome the inertia of him being always in the team and always captain. He can now try England without him in both positions without feeling like he'd have to admit he got it wrong if it works out. I struggle to see how England could really do much worse without Farrell as he has not added anything to the side for a while now.

Anyone absolutely dreading the Scotland game already?. Inexperienced midfield, no Tuilagi, May injured, Marler probably out with Covid, don't know who the captain is going to be (Lawes has concussion). We also lost to Scotland at home last year with probably a stronger team. My expectations for this game and the 6 Nations as a whole are pretty low. All I'll say is thank god we're not going to Paris next weekend!.

I don't feel that way at all. I feel quite optimistic about the tournament TBH.

No Farrell and Tuilagi is probably a good thing. Farrell doesn't really warrant a place in the side and hasn't for some time. Tuilagi is all too frequently injured so can't be relied upon to play. Developing a new midfield without them is important and there's every chance we play better.

May hasn't been playing well for a while either so on form, is not a major loss.

Lawes will probably be back by next weekend and we have good cover for Marler in Genge and a Rodd.

Our problems vs Scotland appear to be largely psychological, the team just didn't seem to have any fight the previous times we played them and were too passive, letting the Scots play how they wanted.

Also I don't think people recall just how much we gift teams TONS of penalties. Things become a lot better if our discipline even improves to being just bad rather than absolutely god damn ******* awful.

Only 5 day isolation for Marler now, and he's had it previously. By all accounts Omicron is not as bad as previous strains, so should be in the squad for the game next week

Only 5 day isolation for Marler now, and he's had it previously. By all accounts Omicron is not as bad as previous strains, so should be in the squad for the game next week
I think Scotland still has longer isolation periods, could be wrong, cba to check as I'm off for a nap.

Our problems vs Scotland appear to be largely psychological, the team just didn't seem to have any fight the previous times we played them and were too passive, letting the Scots play how they wanted.

Also I don't think people recall just how much we gift teams TONS of penalties. Things become a lot better if our discipline even improves to being just bad rather than absolutely god damn ******* awful.

Compete for ball.

Give away penalty or win ball then kick ball away. Back to stage 1.

Basically, you can't give away stupid 'over the ball' penalties if you have the ball and look after it. It's easy to give away penalties if you haven't got the ball, even if it's only getting accidentally trapped on the wrong side. I reckon a lot of it is that forwards get frustrated by seeing all their hard work kicked away after 1 phase, so try a little too hard to win it back again.

Not a discipline problem by some hairy-arsed forward, but a discipline problem by some boot-happy Brylcreem boy wearing a double digit number.

That's when we revert to stupid 'sealing off' penalties.
:)

I have some degree of sympathy for sealing off penalties (and scrum penalties). While some may be complete stupidity, often it's no different to a top tennis player hitting the ball into the net. They're trying to achieve something, don't succeed, bound to happen when playing top level sport against top level opponents.

Compete for ball.

Give away penalty or win ball then kick ball away. Back to stage 1.

Basically, you can't give away stupid 'over the ball' penalties if you have the ball and look after it. It's easy to give away penalties if you haven't got the ball, even if it's only getting accidentally trapped on the wrong side. I reckon a lot of it is that forwards get frustrated by seeing all their hard work kicked away after 1 phase, so try a little too hard to win it back again.

Not a discipline problem by some hairy-arsed forward, but a discipline problem by some boot-happy Brylcreem boy wearing a double digit number.
Spoken like a true forward :p

Latest posts