• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Team To Face The All Blacks

S

SecondRow04

England: 15 Mike Brown, 14 Topsy Ojo, 13 Mike Tindall, 12 Olly Barkley, 11 David Strettle, 10 Charlie Hodgson, 9 Richard Wigglesworth, 8 Luke Narraway, 7 Tom Rees, 6 James Haskell, 5 Steve Borthwick ©, 4 Tom Palmer, 3 Matt Stevens, 2 Lee Mears, 1 Andrew Sheridan.

Replacements: 16 David Paice, 17 Tim Payne, 18 Ben Kay, 19 Joe Worsley, 20 Danny Care, 21 Jamie Noon, 22 Mathew Tait.

Date: Saturday, June 14

Venue: Eden Park, Auckland

Kick-off: 19:35 (08:35 BST)

Referee: Nigel Owens (Wales)

Touch judges: Stuart Dickinson (Australia), Paul Marks (Australia)

Television match official: George Ayoub (Australia)

Assessor: Stuart Beissel (New Zealand)

Hmmmm...team looks handy enough. Will be great to see Sheridan in action against the AB's again. Rees should also be an interesting test against McCaw. Hopefully Hodgson will step up his game a bit.

Predictions:

The ABs will win & Sheridan fans will get a hard on because he'll be facing a average scrummaging prop and look good.

Right, for the Kiwis who don't know anything about this team:

Sheridan you'll certainly know about. Him and Stevens are AWESOME scrummagers, when they put their mind to it. England SHOULD have the NZ scrum going backwards, I'm not saying they definitely will.

Lee Mears - a short little hooker, I rate him quite highly in the loose (he's quite quick), solid scrummager and a better thrower than Chuter, who's been the other England hooker of late. Mears also had an excellent season with Bath.

Tom Palmer - they've clearly picked a more physical option at lock than Kennedy; Palmer is from the Johnson school of no mess. Great future for him.

Steve Borthwick - I've always rated him, I said after the RWC to make him captain and noone listened... anyway, excellent lineout and physical lock, been around for ages but only 28. IMO should lead us through to 2011.

James Haskell - absolutely awesome. VERY strong, great ball carrier and tackler, but also the number of turnovers he gets is ridiculous, almost plays like a 7. The future. One thing is he gives away a few penalties...

Tom Rees - Potentially fantastic as well. When he plays well, he's one of those magnificent 7s like Back, Williams, Holah, Hill, etc. who just snaffle up the ball when there's no way of it coming out. However the first big game I've seen him perform well in was the Heineken Cup final; he's in fine form.

Luke Narraway - only really a backup - I don't see him playing much for England in the future considering he struggles to make the Gloucester team... good ball carrier and he'll always do his best.

Richard Wigglesworth - well, if everyone's fit I'd have him down as England's 3rd choice 9 (assuming Danny Care can cut it) but he's still good. We've gone from coaxing 9s out of retirement to some outstanding young ones quite quickly; it's a shame Harry Ellis ain't touring.

Charlie Hodgson - you may know him, again on his day he's a lovely fly half to watch, runs his backs beautifully and can kick well. But normally when he plays for England he flops, misses easy kicks and tackles and everything. We've got some brilliant fly half prospects; Hodgson's a stop-gap.

Dave Strettle - very exciting player. Brilliant broken field runner, great turn of speed, great step. And VERY injury prone.

Olly Barkley - Really matured into a solid 10/12. good kicking game, good distribution and makes a few good breaks. Has a chance to make 12 his own here, we've got plenty others sticking their hands up for it.

Mike Tindall - very good at what he does. Which is run straight and hard and make, and break tackles. We might have to throw miss passes if the wingers are ever going to see it though...

Topsy Ojo - one of a crop of English wingers who are all seriously quick (Sackey, Monye, Haughton, Varndell, etc.) and have question marks over their defence. Expect all the stuff you get with your typical speedster, plus the fact that this guy is like an eel, slips out of tackles, and scores tries out of nothing.

Mike Brown - the only out-and-out fullback we could have picked. But he's been on great form this year so we'll have to see.

------------------------------

Basically we'll be strong in the scrum and lineout, physical up front, and we have pace and creativity in the backs.

However, our defence may be suspect, goalkicking could be a weakness, and inexperience could be a huge problem.

If the pros go well we could win or at least make it tight.

If the cons happen then we'll lose by at least 20 points...

very limited powerful runners in the backs. But my main concern is the back row. So inexperienced compared to McCaw and co. Unless the front 5 get on top enough to give the back row an edge i can see New Zealand dominating the breakdown and with it the match. slowing our ball and getting turnovers at key moments is one of their strengths.

Predictions:

The ABs will win & Sheridan fans will get a hard on because he'll be facing a average scrummaging prop and look good. [/b]

Further prediction: DarkManX to remain in denial about the fact that Sheridan is actually pretty damn good in the scrum.

I think the general thing is here is that the players picked can come good and have shown good form, but will probably flop (heroically) in that traditional Anglo-Saxon way which we have all experienced from time to time, heck, the ABs have flopped heroically in about five World Cups now? Its great, heroic failure is our gift to you along with Cable & Wireless stations, incomprehensible political systems and yeast extract. Treasure it well :)

Anyway, reasonably good squad, I'd still prefer it that we pick Kennedy and thus have a more powerful prescense at the line out. I'll be interested to see how Barkley and Tindall get on but this goes back to the "Brain & Brawn" thing I was talking about in the SA vs Wales thread. We need intelligence to balance with the other guy who just runs straight. Ginger, you should know this considering our center partnership for the last two seasons has been Farrell and Sorrell: Farrell with the brawn and Sorrell with the brains.

I have barely watched any NH games this year, so my question to England fans:

Do we have any chance of beating you?

England are the favourites obviously, after coming 2nd at the world cup and us coming what, 8th? You know, don't you Prestwick?

I have barely watched any NH games this year, so my question to England fans:

England are the favourites obviously, after coming 2nd at the world cup and us coming what, 8th? You know, don't you Prestwick?
[/b]

Mate, even Saracens (4th best team in the world by the way) could decimate the All Blacks! This is a foregone conclusion. The score will be 80, no 81 - 3 to England, we'll conquer and do multiple laps of honour.

And then I'll wake up and realise it was all just a dream...

:wah:

Definate step foward in terms of selection; was a bit worried with rob andrew being be facto coach (not a fan)

i worry about the relatively inexperianced backrow (especially narroway-pity about easter's hand) both rees and haskell looked fantastic in guiness prem final but can they step up-nz is a hard enough place to play as a seasoned pro and against mcaw and co....

one query though looking at the teamsheet: is flood injured? i know he picked up a knock against the baa baas but haven't heard anything- i thought he always looked handy enough (hasn't done anything to merit being all out dropped imo) and can cover 10/12

leading on from that what, happeds if barkly or charlie get injured? noon and tait both play 13 so would tindall move to 12? (the possability of a tindall-noon centre partnership sends shivers down my spine in terms of attacking ball-defensably would be quite enjoyable to watch though)

i thought brown looked suprisingly slow in the baa baas game, at one point he was obviously lacking in pace in a foot race against balshaw. i haven't seen him play often so can any quinns fans clarify?

feel sorry for tait-he looked quality last week but he suffers from jack of all trades master of none utility back cover (akin to austin healy imo) hope he nails down full back place next season at sale.

i'd like to see varndell given a go instead of topsy ojo in the next test (baring wonder tries etc) as i am a fan of his, most tries in premiership this season etc. (plus no liecester players starting :rahh: )

also like to see croft and kennedy starting next week-then we colud really punish the line out :D

prediction: all blacks win, but if pack gel and play well (like wc match v aus) we could push them close.

The All Blacks scrum was awesome last week, i would be shocked if England can get on top although it should be fairly even. Its a pretty conservative team, i think Hodgson will need to have a blinder or risk losing 40 points.

If Croft and Kennedy play then you'd have so much more potential. By the same token, putting Tait at full back rather than Brown is a much better option. Apart from numbers eight, ten, twelve and thirteen you're starting to see the genesis of the 2011 team.

Now lets just put this thing to bed and get a Hipkiss/Geraghty combo going.

Its a decent enough team thats been picked by Andrew/Johnson and I think we can do well. I dont think we will win but we should be physical enough to make life tough for the AB`s. Borthwick is never captain material at test level though?

But my main concern is the back row. So inexperienced compared to McCaw and co. Unless the front 5 get on top enough to give the back row an edge i can see New Zealand dominating the breakdown and with it the match. slowing our ball and getting turnovers at key moments is one of their strengths.
[/b]

Easter must be injured. Where is Lipman. I'm only surprised by the inclusion of Narraway at the expense of one of those two. Haskell & Rees were awesome in the Premiership final, deserve their caps.

Front five is solid, AB's failed ot dominate the Irish Scrum but won the match in the lineout in the second half, I'd have preferred to Palmer considering.

I hope Barkley is taking the kicks, while Hodgson is the best passer of a flat ball we have at international level his kicking goes to pot. Wigglesworth is a conservative choice at scrum half, 6/7-10 every time no more noe less. Would have preffered Ellis to be on the tour.

[/b]

Jesus, you're a negative fellow. Can the World's greatest Rugby nation beat a team that loses at home to Wales and fails to score a try against the Scot's? We may have new management but thats the results were coming onto this tour off the back of.

Borthwick is never captain material at test level though?[/b]

And who would you suggest? He's the only 1 in that 15 that I believe has captained his club side on a regular basis. Only other contender was surely Tindall.

<div class='quotemain'>
But my main concern is the back row. So inexperienced compared to McCaw and co. Unless the front 5 get on top enough to give the back row an edge i can see New Zealand dominating the breakdown and with it the match. slowing our ball and getting turnovers at key moments is one of their strengths.
[/b]

Easter must be injured. Where is Lipman. I'm only surprised by the inclusion of Narraway at the expense of one of those two. Haskell & Rees were awesome in the Premiership final, deserve their caps.

Front five is solid, AB's failed ot dominate the Irish Scrum but won the match in the lineout in the second half, I'd have preferred to Palmer considering.

I hope Barkley is taking the kicks, while Hodgson is the best passer of a flat ball we have at international level his kicking goes to pot. Wigglesworth is a conservative choice at scrum half, 6/7-10 every time no more noe less. Would have preffered Ellis to be on the tour.

[/b]

Jesus, you're a negative fellow. Can the World's greatest Rugby nation beat a team that loses at home to Wales and fails to score a try against the Scot's? We may have new management but thats the results were coming onto this tour off the back of.

Borthwick is never captain material at test level though?[/b]

And who would you suggest? He's the only 1 in that 15 that I believe has captained his club side on a regular basis. Only other contender was surely Tindall.
[/b][/quote]
Personally I would like to see haskell given the role as I think he is the outstanding young player in England who is already respected by his team mates. Borthwicks an ok test player but I cant see him keeping his place long term. Choosing Haskell is a long term appointment and that is what we need at the moment.

If Croft and Kennedy play then you'd have so much more potential. By the same token, putting Tait at full back rather than Brown is a much better option. Apart from numbers eight, ten, twelve and thirteen you're starting to see the genesis of the 2011 team.

Now lets just put this thing to bed and get a Hipkiss/Geraghty combo going. [/b]

Croft/Kennedy just wouldn't work versus the all blacks. Both are great jumpers and athletes, but i think would get dominated physically. One of them would be ok, but playing both would result in the pack being rolled over imo.

Latest posts