• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England v Italy

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fa'atau82 @ Feb 8 2009, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
What i don't understand is why he didn't get Mirco (if he wanted a Bergamasco brother so badly) to play 9, as he is a back and would surely be better in passing and knowledge than his brother. I mean, Mauro did his best. You can't fault Mauro for playing at 9 because many players would have refused to play out of position. He's put his place at stake.

I know Super10 can be very poor indeed but i really feel for poor old Toniolatti. I mean, he is a professional 9 he is called-up for playng at 9, and Mallett chose a flanker ahead of him, and i'm sure Mauro wasn't playing like a world class 9 in training.

It's like a transexual beating you to Miss World.

Mallett now has absolutely no reason to play Mauro again for the next match, as you can't really say Mauro had a good game and deserves his place ahead of the other flanks.. and he's destroyed the boy Toniolatti's confidence. It was car crash tv.

Sometimes you take a risk, but as said before.. you might as well play Census Johnston at 15, Matt Dunning at 10 or Peter Stringer as the lineout receiver. Crazyiness![/b]

just watch it: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/7877034.stm it makes me almost cry :cryy: :cryy: :cryy: :cryy: :cryy: :cryy: :cryy:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fa'atau82 @ Feb 8 2009, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
What i don't understand is why he didn't get Mirco (if he wanted a Bergamasco brother so badly) to play 9, as he is a back and would surely be better in passing and knowledge than his brother. I mean, Mauro did his best. You can't fault Mauro for playing at 9 because many players would have refused to play out of position. He's put his place at stake.

I know Super10 can be very poor indeed but i really feel for poor old Toniolatti. I mean, he is a professional 9 he is called-up for playng at 9, and Mallett chose a flanker ahead of him, and i'm sure Mauro wasn't playing like a world class 9 in training.

Mallett now has absolutely no reason to play Mauro again for the next match, as you can't really say Mauro had a good game and deserves his place ahead of the other flanks.. and he's destroyed the boy Toniolatti's confidence. It was car crash tv.

Sometimes you take a risk, but as said before.. you might as well play Census Johnston at 15, Matt Dunning at 10 or Peter Stringer as the lineout receiver. Crazyiness![/b]

I don't think that Mirco would have better chances at 9. Playing as Scrum-half is not something that one can learn in 1 day.

Anyway I agree with you about the consequences of "the experiment"..........

Some player showed a good form, like Parisse, Zanni and Canale........ I hope this counts as a positive new, but the other matches of the weekend showed that we have a rough way ahead

Parisse was the standout player of the game for me, always surging forward with great speed and power and making the gain line every time before providing top quality ball for Mauro to throw into row Z.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quincey @ Feb 9 2009, 01:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fa'atau82 @ Feb 8 2009, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think that Mirco would have better chances at 9. Playing as Scrum-half is not something that one can learn in 1 day[/b][/quote]At least Mirco is a back and actually he played one time as a scrum half this season with Stade Français. He was nothing special... but not as bad as Mauro. He's an average goal kicker too, Italy should try him instead of Marcato. But as he is one on the only good backs in the Italian team, I think that Mallet should leave in the wing and give that Tonioguy some game time, with the Old good Griffen as backup.

just watching Against the Head now and they've got the highlights from Twickenham on, but Cueto was lucky not to be pinged for going off his feet in the buildup to Ellis' first try. All academic I know but we've got Joubert for one of our matches

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Feb 9 2009, 08:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
just watching Against the Head now and they've got the highlights from Twickenham on, but Cueto was lucky not to be pinged for going off his feet in the buildup to Ellis' first try. All academic I know but we've got Joubert for one of our matches[/b]

Highlights? Were there any? I suppose the anthems were ok....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vambo @ Feb 9 2009, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Feb 9 2009, 08:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
just watching Against the Head now and they've got the highlights from Twickenham on, but Cueto was lucky not to be pinged for going off his feet in the buildup to Ellis' first try. All academic I know but we've got Joubert for one of our matches[/b]

Highlights? Were there any? I suppose the anthems were ok....
[/b][/quote]

I was thinking about rewording that in fairness. Italian anthem is always a highlight!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Feb 8 2009, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Danit, what has been the Sunday morning reaction from the fans and media to Mallet's selection.[/b]
very very negative Prestwick

for the first time, as i remember, lots of medias put the rugby national team coach on the grill (it usually happens for football...), stressing his incomptenece and madness in Mauro sh "experiment"

but what is actually more discussed is his wrong approach to the italian rugby movement, to it basis and roots, to its development

he's showing a complete lack of confidence in the possibility of development of young players (they're called in the enlarged squads but never really play), stressing too much attention on the phisical side of the game (event for scrum halfs or wingers)

before the game v England he said: "when i coached Springboks or Stade Francais i used to cry when we were defeated, now i cry when we win a game", that sound pretty offensive, doesn't it?

his logic is: i've got just 15 or 18 or 21 good, experienced and strong players available, they've got to play, no matter what their roles are

after the game he said "Mauro is not ready yet to play scrum half": yet? is he kiddin' us?

that's why he alse wanted Masi to play flyhalf last year, and fullback this year: c'mon, Masi is a pure center, always playing center at Biarritz, let him play in his role, he could be very effective playing togheter with Canale and Mirco Bergamasco at the wing, let a true fullback (Galon, McLean) play at 15

take Simone Favaro: 20 years old, one of the most shining talent of italian rugby, a pure flanker, a tremendous tackler, well you probably don't know that Mallet tried in any way to force him at scrum half position because, according to his standards, Favaro is not big enough to play flanker (98 kg, 181 cm), fortunately Favaro always refused, result is that he's not in the squad but has been called Jan Francois Montuariol, a 25 years old french player (just his mom is italian) who never could play regulary in french Top14, whit less than half the talent and skills of Favaro but a much bigger size (103 kg, 199 cm)

fans are really annoyed by this way of managing the team...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Feb 9 2009, 05:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Parisse was the standout player of the game for me, always surging forward with great speed and power and making the gain line every time before providing top quality ball for Mauro to throw into row Z.[/b]

Sums the entire game up perfectly.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danit @ Feb 10 2009, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Feb 8 2009, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Danit, what has been the Sunday morning reaction from the fans and media to Mallet's selection.[/b]
very very negative Prestwick

for the first time, as i remember, lots of medias put the rugby national team coach on the grill (it usually happens for football...), stressing his incomptenece and madness in Mauro sh "experiment"

but what is actually more discussed is his wrong approach to the italian rugby movement, to it basis and roots, to its development

he's showing a complete lack of confidence in the possibility of development of young players (they're called in the enlarged squads but never really play), stressing too much attention on the phisical side of the game (event for scrum halfs or wingers)

before the game v England he said: "when i coached Springboks or Stade Francais i used to cry when we were defeated, now i cry when we win a game", that sound pretty offensive, doesn't it?

his logic is: i've got just 15 or 18 or 21 good, experienced and strong players available, they've got to play, no matter what their roles are

after the game he said "Mauro is not ready yet to play scrum half": yet? is he kiddin' us?

that's why he alse wanted Masi to play flyhalf last year, and fullback this year: c'mon, Masi is a pure center, always playing center at Biarritz, let him play in his role, he could be very effective playing togheter with Canale and Mirco Bergamasco at the wing, let a true fullback (Galon, McLean) play at 15

take Simone Favaro: 20 years old, one of the most shining talent of italian rugby, a pure flanker, a tremendous tackler, well you probably don't know that Mallet tried in any way to force him at scrum half position because, according to his standards, Favaro is not big enough to play flanker (98 kg, 181 cm), fortunately Favaro always refused, result is that he's not in the squad but has been called Jan Francois Montuariol, a 25 years old french player (just his mom is italian) who never could play regulary in french Top14, whit less than half the talent and skills of Favaro but a much bigger size (103 kg, 199 cm)

fans are really annoyed by this way of managing the team...
[/b][/quote]

I've always thought that french coaches have a better approach with italian rugby movement. Dunno why........

Latest posts