England v Italy

A

An Tarbh

<div align='center'>
england.png
italy.png

England v Italy
</div>

The opening match of this year's tournament sees England hosting the Italians.

Last season's offering was a close affair in Rome with England only managing a 4 point win.

Both sides will have a point to prove following their poor showing in the Autumn.

Should be a home win but what odds of an upset, with the Italians their best chance is usually first up so should England be worried???

England should win but it will be a close game again, the Italians have the players with experience but the question will be if they can utilise it the upset England.

Mallett tells Italy to get mean in defence

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Italy must get meaner in defence if they are to be competitive in their Six Nations games this season, coach Nick Mallett said on Thursday.

Mallett blamed defensive problems for his side's home defeats to the Pacific Islanders and Argentina in tests in November, which came after they gave Australia a scare before going down 30-20.

"If we want to get good results, Italy must play with more aggression and courage in defence," Mallett told a news conference.

Mallett said robust defending would be especially important to his side's hopes of springing an upset in their opener at Twickenham on February 7 as this is what caused England trouble in their November defeats by New Zealand, South Africa and Australia.

"England have great potential. The three matches they lost in November they lost against the opposition defences," he said.

"The Australians, New Zealanders and South Africans played with less ball than the English, but their defences were very strong and lots of tries came from opponents stealing the ball and counter attacking.

"That's why every player has to be more aggressive."

The South African coach is braced for a bruising opening encounter.

"After a difficult November, I think England will go into the match next week with lots of pride and aggression," he said. "It's a difficult game for Italy, but we are ready."[/b]

Who knows, maybe if the Italians can put in some big hits in in the 1st 20mins and rattle England they might have a chance...

well I think it's a given that they'll ask questions early on but whether they can finish strongly remains to be seen.

England should **** this and the fact that they might not is testament to how **** they've become in recent years :(

If I go by my heart Italy will win, if I go by my head England will win. It depends what team the Italian's put out. Heard talk of Mauro Bergamasco playing scrum-half in the Six Nations.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vambo @ Feb 1 2009, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
England should **** this and the fact that they might not is testament to how **** they've become in recent years :([/b]
That is a great pint. We seem to preume we will low sides like this awaycs we are England butthe reality is we are now in the 2nd level of interational rugby along with Scotland and Ireland.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Feb 1 2009, 08:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vambo @ Feb 1 2009, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
England should **** this and the fact that they might not is testament to how **** they've become in recent years :([/b]
That is a great pint. We seem to preume we will low sides like this awaycs we are England butthe reality is we are now in the 2nd level of interational rugby along with Scotland and Ireland.
[/b][/quote]
World Cup aside, you've been on the '2nd level' for years...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Feb 1 2009, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Feb 1 2009, 08:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vambo @ Feb 1 2009, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b][/quote]
World Cup aside, you've been on the '2nd level' for years...
[/b][/quote]
I quite agree. Look Speedy you wont find me bigging England or their performances up over the last few years, they dont warrant it. The only thing with us is that at sometime you know we are going to come back and be a big team again. Im not saying when but its just a matter of time.Hopefully I`ll be young enough to enjoy it! (also sorry for my spelling recently, batteries running out in my keyboard.)

"The only thing with us is that at sometime you know we are going to come back and be a big team again."

Anything's possible, obviously. I don't see where this is going to come from though, especially after the abject performances in the Portugal game last Friday. The players look great at Premiership level, but don't ever seem to pull it off for your country.
Seriously, I've only been a supporter since four years ago so you'll need to excuse my ignorance (and I'm sure Teh Mite can give me an appropriate answer to this): how the hell did you guys go from being World Champions to a side with absolutely no direction in a space of a few months (this slump lasting six years, now)?

At least Wales manage to have an off year every now and then where we perform. <_<

The talent is already there for England to become a comepetitive force again, however the RFU selection policy of "who you know rather then what you know" is what will forever hold back the national side. The majority of the young talent will always struggle to get into the team so long as the old boys network stand in the way - The only time this wasn't the case was during Clive Woodwards era - vis a vie England will struggle to ever get back to the former glories from half a decade ago.

Back to the game, England by a couple.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Feb 1 2009, 08:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
"The only thing with us is that at sometime you know we are going to come back and be a big team again."

Anything's possible, obviously. I don't see where this is going to come from though, especially after the abject performances in the Portugal game last Friday. The players look great at Premiership level, but don't ever seem to pull it off for your country.
Seriously, I've only been a supporter since four years ago so you'll need to excuse my ignorance (and I'm sure Teh Mite can give me an appropriate answer to this): how the hell did you guys go from being World Champions to a side with absolutely no direction in a space of a few months (this slump lasting six years, now)?

At least Wales manage to have an off year every now and then where we perform. <_<[/b]
These things go in cycles, Wales were a laughing stock during the 80`s and 90`s and now they have won 2 slams within 3 years. Englands Wc winning team was built up after the 1999 WC where we were lucky enough to have a group of world class players develop together. The coach brought in new ideas and made us intoa great side with a view to winning in 2003. Unfortunatly no thought was ever put into what happens after 2003 and player development. Many of the world class players retired or lost focus and all of a sudden we have an inexperinced team having to live up to the tag of world champions when they patently were not up to it.

My thinkings are... England will win but by a small margin as per the last time we met italy...then again it'll be interesting to see what england can come up with against Italy...should be interesting cant wait

I see a pretty decent winning margin only for the reason its Italy. Prediction England 33 Italy 15

So Cipriani being dumped in the Saxons squad leaves Flood in poll position to start against the Italians and cement his place for the rest of the tournament

I really dont like Flood. He`s probably a better 12 than 10. Is it right Goode is in the squad. I read that earlier today but Im hoping its some kind of mistake.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Feb 2 2009, 04:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I really dont like Flood. He`s probably a better 12 than 10. Is it right Goode is in the squad. I read that earlier today but Im hoping its some kind of mistake.[/b]

yeah he's been added to the squad

Jesus, whats going on. A half fit, off form Cipriani suffering severe lack of confidence would be better. How can England ever move forward with that sort of selction. Must be good mates with Jonno is all I can think.

Great news for England fans as James Simpson-Daniel is called up as a replacement for Monye who has a back injury.Will this finally be the time he shines for England. I think if he has a run of games he will show he is well worthy of a Lions tour place.

Laugh out loud.
Flood or Foode at FH? :lol: I'm sure the Italians are livid with fear...

Latest posts