• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England XV v Barbarians

Tait and Pennell for England. Heard it here first.

I've only watched highlights, desperately looking for a live stream, but they made me sad. Sad and despondent about English test rugby.

But it also looked like a cracking game.

Tait did the least out of all the backs and Cips was much better at FB than him. Goode is also better player by a distance. He is a solid player though and does the job for Leicester.

Tait did the least out of all the backs and Cips was much better at FB than him. Goode is also better player by a distance. He is a solid player though and does the job for Leicester.

Not the best place in the sentence to use the word "He" considering you named 2 players between the one you meant and using he.

Put Cips at FB against a decent op and then compare him to Tait, tait game plan is not a barbarians style type he is unselfish and plays as a team as opposed to an individual.

Not the best place in the sentence to use the word "He" considering you named 2 players between the one you meant and using he.
Which one of them plays for Leicester? That's why the sentence works.

Tait is just Goode but slightly worse in most aspects.

Positioning, kicking, passing all Goode comfortably. Both regularly beat first man and neither are like game changing runners or scorers are they?

Positioning, kicking, passing all Goode comfortably. Both regularly beat first man and neither are like game changing runners or scorers are they?

You appear to be watching a different Alex Goode to the rest of us.

I wish Tait was in the squad. He very rarely fails to impress me; he's a true international class athlete with experience and versatility, which is something we basically don't have, and he thrives in pressure situations when I've seen him. I don't think he had a great amount to do yesterday but there's not a lot a full-back can do when the opposition are rarely in a position to put in pressure kicks and his backline are breaking the line with ease.

But there we go.

Very surprised to read the Baabaas had more possession.

I wish Tait was in the squad. He very rarely fails to impress me; he's a true international class athlete with experience and versatility, which is something we basically don't have, and he thrives in pressure situations when I've seen him. I don't think he had a great amount to do yesterday but there's not a lot a full-back can do when the opposition are rarely in a position to put in pressure kicks and his backline are breaking the line with ease.

agree with all of this Peat.

I swear something has gone wrong with their stats over the last few weeks, the permiership stats also seem wrong to me when coding against theirs.

Baabaas got the ball and moved up, England got the ball and scored, easy for them to have more possession, you can basically confirm it from other stats, tackle stats being the most revealing. 130/23 for England, 85/26 for the Baabaas. England with 59 rucks, baabaas with 98.

EDIT - Someone was mentioning Wades workrate, thinking he doesn't get involved enough I believe, only Dickson and Cips handled the ball more often than Wade.

Last edited:
I was impressed by Tait - solid, he's not quite as explosive as he used to be, but I'd be more than happy to have him in the squad.

But there we go.

Goode myth that he doesn't beat players should have been put to bed against Ireland.

Goode myth that he doesn't beat players should have been put to bed against Ireland.

Lies.
He beats defenders in very broken play.
But he struggles to do so or even get much over the gain line at all against organised defences.
Compare and contrast with Mike Brown.

... really? Apart from one wonder run in broken play to rescue a situation he'd created in the first place, his inability to beat the first man was painfully obvious in that match.

The only thing that should have been put to bed after the Ireland performance was Goode's international career ...

We had a look at 5 things England learned from the BaaBaas game here: http://fourballsblog.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/5-things-england-learned-from.html

It essentially boils down to this:

1) Lee Dickson should never play for England again
2) Marland Yarde is deservedly in the squad ahead of Christian Wade, but the Wasps winger should feature as well
3) Luke Cowan-Dickie is in the fight for the hooker's jersey in Hartley's absence
4) Do not forget about Danny Cipriani
5) Henry Slade and Elliot Daly are what Lancaster is looking for... but 2015 might be too soon

Latest posts