• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England XV vs Barbarians (19/06/2022)

Do we really learn anything from Smith playing in this...
TBH I think we did, we learned he can still create something when the whole team are ******* dreadful. Get the rest of the team sorted and that ability to make something from nothing will be a real asset and something we've been lacking for a while.

Out of interest, why?
A kick is from toe to knee , not Including the knees.
The heal is specifically defined as something you cannot use for a kick.
20yrs ago the heal was banned as Mark Ring was apparently seen to taking pi££ doing it on more than one occasion.
Old IRB introduced this definition.
Surprised team of 4 didn't pick it up ,lots often lie in a babas match.
However sure some kids will try it out.

A kick is from toe to knee , not Including the knees.
The heal is specifically defined as something you cannot use for a kick.
20yrs ago the heal was banned as Mark Ring was apparently seen to taking pi££ doing it on more than one occasion.
Old IRB introduced this definition.
Surprised team of 4 didn't pick it up ,lots often lie in a babas match.
However sure some kids will try it out.
Precisely!
An interesting case is something like this

Technically illegal, but I've never, ever seen the ref ping it. The obvious response should be: 'cruz mate, how many times do you think that happens? How many times have you see it live'

On XVs, once. On sevens, i lost count but i would say at least over 20. At lower levels, once kids are made aware of such a move/play they are bound to try it out at one point or another.

I guess you could do it with the bottom of the foot.

Precisely!
An interesting case is something like this

Technically illegal, but I've never, ever seen the ref ping it. The obvious response should be: 'cruz mate, how many times do you think that happens? How many times have you see it live'

On XVs, once. On sevens, i lost count but i would say at least over 20. At lower levels, once kids are made aware of such a move/play they are bound to try it out at one point or another.

I guess you could do it with the bottom of the foot.

Wait you cant even do it in ooen play? I thought it was just place kicks? hooker i used to play with used to be class at exactly that and no one ever expected it, never got pinged once, i assumed it was fine.

Think that's a law that could be gotten rid of. It's a difficult skill to pull off and it gives no serious advantage to the player doing it, so it's not like it's some cheat code that ruins the game. If a player is creative/skilful enough to pull it off, why limit them?

Wait you cant even do it in ooen play? I thought it was just place kicks? hooker i used to play with used to be class at exactly that and no one ever expected it, never got pinged once, i assumed it was fine.
Well, strictly speaking, the reasoning would be

> The only way to throw the ball forward intentionally would be through a kick
> as per the laws, using the back heel doesn't constitute kicking
> knock-on

Latest posts