• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England’s tour to Australia thread

We could always play some form wingers on the wing and one of our form centres instead of our current 12?

I mean everyone else who's any good seems to play form players so let's try that for a change?

We could always play some form wingers on the wing and one of our form centres instead of our current 12?

I mean everyone else who's any good seems to play form players so let's try that for a change?
Select players in form and in the correct position?

Mad, he's mad everyone. It'll never work I tell you!

was it just me or did England seem to be playing super wide during the game. The pass from Care had to travel forever and it just seemed very inefficient. England also seemed to run predictable slow patterns of having a pod throwing the ball out the back and taking the ball even wider. You see the more successful test sides just doing consistent yet simple hard running.

The two fly-half system works well when the opposition isn't sure if the first receiver is going to play to the decoy runners or pull it back to the second "fly-half". Falls down a bit when it goes back to the second 10 every single time, as it seemed to on Saturday.

You are very salty it seems. Hopefully one day when Argentina isn't a tier 3 team you'll actually be able to beat England and gloat properly.

Until then why don't you leave the grown ups to discuss Eddie's actual gameplan:

Kick off
?????????

Half tome
????????

Hope one of our wingers magics a try

Leave it out Argentina beat a struggling AB team not so long ago, tier 3s a little harsh, they are at least the Southern Hemisphere equivalent of Italy.

Leave it out Argentina beat a struggling AB team not so long ago, tier 3s a little harsh, they are at least the Southern Hemisphere equivalent of Italy.
Yeah, cause there are many Italians being heroes in Premiership like Montoya, Moroni, Gus Creevy or Carreras lol

Yeah, cause there are many Italians being heroes in Premiership like Montoya, Moroni, Gus Creevy or Carreras lol
Solid players Not entirely sure I would refer to them as heros, does eye gouging count as a heroic act in your book?

I was at the game and it was pretty poor from both teams, especially England. There were moments in the first half where they played with such dynamism, recycling the ball so quickly that I thought it was going to be a heavy defeat for the Wallabies. But then they just seemed to revert to this tired old game plan that relies on the opposition making mistakes. Have a forward hitting it up the 10/12 channel, then hit 12/13 with a decoy runner. Switch back the other way and repeat. That doesn't work, then box kick.

They need to be more inventive in attack. Not necessarily throwing the ball wide all the time, but playing a bit smarter. And they need a 12. Farrell has done well for England in the past, more of a inspirational workhouse rather than an exceptional player, but he should have retired from international rugby years ago. He just does not have the pace for 12. And whilst you can get away with lacking pace at 10, it also places limitations on the backline. Defenders don't have to mark Farrell, they can hang out wider knowing he doesn't have pace or a step to make a break so can rely on a forward covering him. Look at how effective Marcus Smith is at making breaks even when there is no room. He sucks in defenders, Farrell doesn't.

I think overall England have a good squad, but they need a new coach. You would think Eddie Jones would watch the game and see that his game plan simply doesn't work and look to change things up. But come the next game, it will be the same old ****. Box kicks do not work, they never have, unless you're playing some gumby team that can't catch. I remember watching an ABs Scotland game and every time Scotland got the ball they would box kick and every time the ABs would run it back either scoring or making significant line breaks. Next time Scotland got the ball, they would box kick again, same result. These are switched on elite players - you would think at some stage the penny would drop.

They would probably have done better if this was the game plan. They actually ran second man league plays 90% of the time and went sideways fast.

Swain gets two weeks - gotta be the least for a headbutt possible eh?
Yeah that's how I described the game to someone - looked like a game of league. Smash it up, run wide with decoy runner. Perhaps playing at such an elite level, players have become so programmed, so robotic in their thinking that they have lost the ability to think for themselves, think outside the box. That 100m try that Arundell scored for LI - would he have done that playing for England or simply kicked it out? What made Cullen so good was he played with instinct. He could see space and went for it, even from deep in his 22. Other players have lost this instinctive type of play.

Are u an Aussie or an English living there?

Australian. Well let me rephrase that. Australia played with 14 and came away with a win after 5 losses against the English, so I'm not gonna knock that. But it was a dull, uninspiring game. I kind of think England snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, they really should have won easily and the result flatters us. You could accuse me of being overly harsh, but would it be considering a successful winter, beating a poor England side 3-0 slapping ourselves on the back and then getting demolished by the All Blacks. So I'm looking at the big picture rather than looking at it from a one off victory. Like last year when we beat France 2-1 and then the ABs put 130 points on us in 3 games... There's nothing I hate more than getting all optimistic and watching us travel to NZ and getting pumped...

Last edited:
Australian. Well let me rephrase that. Australia played with 14 and came away with a win after 5 losses against the English, so I'm not gonna knock that. But it was a dull, uninspiring game. I kind of think England snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, they really should have won easily and the result flatters us. You could accuse me of being overly harsh, but would it be considering a successful winter, beating a poor England side 3-0 slapping ourselves on the back and then getting demolished by the All Blacks. So I'm looking at the big picture rather than looking at it from a one off victory. Like last year when we beat France 2-1 and then the ABs put 130 points on us in 3 games... There's nothing I hate more than getting all optimistic and watching us travel to NZ and getting pumped...
The result flatters Australia...? Crazy. We were 30-14 up with a minute to go and they ran in two consolations.

Honestly who gives a **** if we lose to NZ? We always do. Pretty much everyone always does.

If you cant enjoy beating England then I think sport (literally any sport) is just not for you. Take up painting.

The two fly-half system works well when the opposition isn't sure if the first receiver is going to play to the decoy runners or pull it back to the second "fly-half". Falls down a bit when it goes back to the second 10 every single time, as it seemed to on Saturday.
I'm not sure the 2 FH system has worked that well before really. The best games we have played have had tuilagi at 12. There is a reason why most teams don't use this system at club or international level, you need more physicality at 12 to actually get to use the rest of your backs in some space.

If you cant enjoy beating England then I think sport (literally any sport) is just not for you.
One of the few downsides of being English is that we miss out on this emotion that the rest of the world seems to enjoy so much. :)

Anyhow, Times reporting that May going to be unavailable again with Underhill favoured to replace Curry. I'll never complain at Underhill being in the team, but I would have liked to see Willis up against Hooper.

Unlucky for May - thinks he's getting three caps (and the associated fees) and a free holiday to Australia, instead he's locked in a hotel room for two weeks (so far), and I'm guessing he's now half a country away from the rest of the squad as if he's still testing positive he won't have been able to fly to Brisbane (if that's where they are now?)

Would've been better off staying at home and having a full off season

I'm not sure the 2 FH system has worked that well before really. The best games we have played have had tuilagi at 12. There is a reason why most teams don't use this system at club or international level, you need more physicality at 12 to actually get to use the rest of your backs in some space.
We just havent had a good enough "12" though. Farrell in his credit has stepped in and done it.

Theres a few on the horizon though...
Kelly could be the 12 for the World Cup,
Ojomoh looks promising but with work to do.
I still think Lawrence isnt finished yet if he gets his head sorted, hes got all the tools, power, speed etc

Theres also a few further down the line who will be looking to establish themselves at their clubs such as Seb Atkinson (Wuss) and big Ollie Hartley at Wasps.

Even we (Falcons) have a few young centres coming through now who look very interesting indeed.

So post WC we could be in rude health for centres...

Unlucky for May - thinks he's getting three caps (and the associated fees) and a free holiday to Australia, instead he's locked in a hotel room for two weeks (so far), and I'm guessing he's now half a country away from the rest of the squad as if he's still testing positive he won't have been able to fly to Brisbane (if that's where they are now?)

Would've been better off staying at home and having a full off season

May has been kicking about, I saw on one of the RFU social media posts a video where he was in the changeroom post game talking to the players. Still can't see how he comes in for a third test unless he's training the house down/injuries occur.

Once a player becomes undroppable he loses one of the key incentives which drives players to peak performance, i.e. competition.

Itoje didn't offer much or anything except for a weird bout of screaming at Australia's first lineout (surely one of the more absurd things I've ever seen in a rugby match).

Early days though - he is generally fantastic.
Man that was crazy but really good to see the ref tell him to shut the **** up.

They really go next level on the screaming and whooping when they win a turnover as well. I know every team do it but England really go mad with it. I know I'm bias but I really ******* hate this English team. And that's before you get into all the **** housery from Hill.

Latest posts