• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

English clubs threaten USA - All Blacks in Chicago

yes, quite.

On the plus side Little Guy just gave me a vote down and a stroppy private comment for posting it...

yes, quite.

On the plus side Little Guy just gave me a vote down and a stroppy private comment for posting it...

And deserved too! How about a bit of cultural tolerance? This is how Americans promote stuff. If you have ever seen any other American sports promotions (NFL, MLB, NBA) you'll recognise that style. We find it a bit OTT, but it works for them, apparently

When in Rome etc...

On a side note, I heard on the radio that Michael Kelly, superintendent of the Chicago Park District; owner and operator of Soldier Field, is guaranteeing a 61,500 sellout crowd. I'll believe it when I see it!

Last edited:
And deserved too! How about a bit of cultural tolerance? This is how Americans promote stuff. If you have ever seen any other American sports promotions (NFL, MLB, NBA) you'll recognise that style. We find it a bit OTT, but it works for them, apparently

When in Rome etc...

He's canadian. It's got nothing to do with his country or culture, and i'm not sure lol'ing at an OTT advert is really showing a lack of cultural tolerance.

Regardless that's a bit rich coming from the most tactless person on the forum :)

On a side note, I heard on the radio that Michael Kelly, superintendent of the Chicago Park District; owner and operator of Soldier Field, is guaranteeing a 61,500 sellout crowd. I'll believe it when I see it!

I reckon they'll get that.

Last edited:
Oh God.
I'd seen that posted on facebook a few times but not actually watched it. I've never cringed so hard at an advert in my life.

USA are going to get absolutely decimated.

[video=youtube_share;7tZ61g4c1WU]http://youtu.be/7tZ61g4c1WU[/video]

This somewhat racist version is far worse.

A sellout is unlikely but I don't think it's out of the question. The Maori pulled an 18.5k sell out in Philly last year and Ireland pulled 20k in Houston, but those matches mostly pulled rugby fans regionally. This will pull fans nationally and indeed it's got a ton of buzz on social media from pretty much every person I've ever played rugby with. Already got emails organizing trips and such. 40k should be the bare minimum unless they make ticket prices absurd.

Apparently a deal may have been reached in this and it's extremely controversial. Accoring to Rugby today, the Eagles have gotten permission to use their Aviva players in the All Blacks test provided they don't use them for their three remaining November games against Romania, Fiji and Tonga. According to the report Tolkin wasn't even consulted by management on the deal.

Not sure how I feel about this, I can see how the Eagles would be desperate for those players in order to offer some kind of resistance to NZ in front of the large crowd, but it's still going to be a big loss either way, and they've given Tonga and Fiji a pass now as well since beating them without any of the Aviva players will be difficult. The Romania game also gets more difficult at this point and it's entirely possible the Eagles will go 1-3 or 0-4 this November.

Not to mention the limited tests leading into 2015, where Tolkin will no longer be able to try out combinations or tactics in those other three games which were previously quite winnable.

http://www.rugbytoday.com/elite/usa-rugby-trades-3-games-1

Shame about the other 3 games but at least you should have a decent line up for the biggest game in US rugby history (Most likely).

Scully has been on fire with us and hopefully will do a good job against the AB wingers (Which will be tough), but he certainly won't back off from them.

As of September 16, there were 55,000 tickets sold, and I have not heard any updates since then

Capacity at Soldier Field is 61,500 so I would think they should be able to sell the remaining 6,500 tickets in the six weeks between then and November 1.

Both USAR and the NZRU will be very pleased if that happens!

I read on another forum that it is essentially sold out. Don't have the source myself though.