• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[EOYT] Italy vs. Australia 09/11/13

Much as I've loved the Aussie despair the last while it time they start holding the SH name high again. Man up, Oz, FFS!! And get a domestic comp going to generate actual depth for once while you're at it. The lack of quality in the forwards past the 1st choice players is what's hurting you almost more than the fact you have no props.

Luckily they should be able to win here and build on a good game? Even with Italy surely to have a big advantage in the scrum Aus should win easily with the tries I expect the Italian backline to leak.

Will be interesting to see what TPN will bring. Last couple of games I have seen from him he looked like he was disinterested in contributing to the actual game and only looking for an opportunity to smash someone. That said maybe that is exactly what Aus needs right now.

well stop it man, the Wallabies have fought like crazy the whole year. They're practically heroes despite the losses. It's the whole organization that's letting them down, the whole nation but not the players. They don't need to "man up", they've been pretty awesome to be frank given the circumstances.
I understand your frustration, and they have completely lost that SH fear-inducing aura clearly...

I want the Italian backs to come alive, but I'm not sure it'll happen. Their backs have got to contribute, I mean, they're on the field !! They're practically invisible, and I understand they don't have fantastic personnel back there, and the whole tactic is to focus on the forwards and scrum and all, but come on, they've shown they could do it. And they're at home, a vital condition for the Squadra.

well stop it man, the Wallabies have fought like crazy the whole year. They're practically heroes despite the losses. It's the whole organization that's letting them down, the whole nation but not the players. They don't need to "man up", they've been pretty awesome to be frank given the circumstances.
I understand your frustration, and they have completely lost that SH fear-inducing aura clearly...

There is more to a rugby team than its backline, Ewie..

There is more to a rugby team than its backline, Ewie..

ohhhhhhhh...............ooohhhhh, you will one day pay so dearly for this comment right there....ohhhhhhhhh !.......

And the forwards did what they could man. It's good enough they found ways to challenge stronger scrums throughout the 80min of each match against powerful units like the Boks, NZ, ARG, ENG...
but overall, yeah, they're kind of...well, not the highlight of the team. Hooper's been good, and some others...
but anyways I don't think it's because of a supposed lack of heart.

oh. Well if John Eales said it.

Last edited:
It's no different than me calling you a frog... Hardly a cutting insult.

It's no different than me calling you a frog... Hardly a cutting insult.

you insolent, sad angry little man !....

Well 'frog' is hardly insulting to anyone, in any possible context, but "convicts" ?...that's pretty historically accurate and not something I'd like to bring up on a daily basis...but anyways, go on calling people what you want man, I ain't yo daddy !

That was confirmed yonks ago. He wasnt even in the original squad, until they relised they need him as none of there other fowards could get past the gain line... you cant help and think maybe aus should start picking internationals, not so much to the point where no one plays super rugby anymore, but just the vital players e.g. ioane, geatu, timani, maybe barnes...

That was confirmed yonks ago. He wasnt even in the original squad, until they relised they need him as none of there other fowards could get past the gain line... you cant help and think maybe aus should start picking internationals, not so much to the point where no one plays super rugby anymore, but just the vital players e.g. ioane, geatu, timani, maybe barnes...

that's one option, the other option is to blood more players. I know hugh pyle has been injured but he tore it up for the rebels this year. Neville and jones are also massive talents for 2nd row/no 6 but they are continually overlooked for simmons, douglas, timani.

i'm going to go out on a limb and say that pyle, jones, Neville and L.Timani and Skelton from the tahs will have massive s15 seasons next year.

Simmons at 6. That is ummm.... interesting. If they wanted to play one of their locks at 6 (for some reason) surely they would be better off playing Horwill or Timani there given they have actually played in the position before :rolleyes: They seem to be getting rather desperate in the loose-forwards at the moment. Personally I think they should be playing dual opensides (Hooper & Gill) - it is not ideal, but it is the best option they have and would allow them to play an expansive style of rugby.

Not much else to say about the Aussie squad. I still think the backline doesn't look overly threatening, and they will be relying pretty heavily on Folau to spark the attack...

Hmm so Timani won't be available for selection for the RWC? Or will he return home come 2015?

Wallabies desperately need to find another big tighthead lock; Timani will be a loss. So who's going to replace him in the Wallaby squad next year? Will Skelton was quite impressive for the Waratahs v the Lions in the summer and he's only 21,but very raw. I heard from Aussie fans that Hugh Pyle is another one to look out for, but he's currently injured.

Thoughts from Wallaby fans?

this game will be interesting looking forward to seeing the results and maybe watching italy to get their first win against australia

Planet Rugby have the Wallabies by 3.

Isn't it absolutely AMAZING how fast Rugby has developed since the millennium started ?
Just some years ago, France would put 43 points on Samoa and only concede like 1 try towards the end when they put the foot off the pedal...and that's like, 2009. Now Samoa's 7th on the IRB rankings, and beating everyone but top 5 opposition these years.

Just some time ago, just a little earlier in time than 2009, the Australians coming to Italy would be seen as the return of the black plague. And now, some are hesitating..."hmmm, maybe I'll give it to Italy....mmm".

Anyways: I'd still have to say Australia by 5 myself. Too starving, humiliated. Big battle, but the Aussies score nice tries and take it narrowly.

anyone watching ?
Anybody seen that try from Italy ?!!!

Last edited:
Italy score a nice backs try and Australia get a forwards one...eh?

This commentator is terrible. Called castro "martinio castriano" and just said Cooper has just kicked his first ever conversion for Australia

Italy score a nice backs try and Australia get a forwards one...eh?

This commentator is terrible. Called castro "martinio castriano" and just said Cooper has just kicked his first ever conversion for Australia

:rofl: that's hilarious !! It went past me, didn't catch that.
And yeah the GSports channel ? I know, I was just thinking to myself how terrible he was. I feel like I'm going to fall asleep, and it's 5pm here...

And btw, since I've got a pom with me here, how insane is it that those Italians beat France and threatened England for a whole 80 in Twickers just some time ago ??...they've shown ZERO defense in their last, like, 4 tests. Australia could score one every 10 minutes or so, they're wide open, Italy.

Italy usually have one or two good performances in them a year, but no more.
Just depends when they want to turn it on!

How was the Wallabies game in the first half? I couldn't see. 2 tries, good.

Latest posts