• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

EOYT: Wales v Australia, 01/12/2012

My first thought when he kicked the ball away was wtf?
Yeah serious brain fart by Priestland imo

I dunno, the amount Barnes was blwoing up at the rucks, and with Pocock and Hooper lurking in the defensive line, probably wouldve been a penalty if we'd taken it in contact. Then we'd all be shouting 'Why didnt he kick it?!'

Really? I didn't think Priestland was as shite as normal, but he wasn't great. Few poor kicks, namely.

@Thing, I agree. If we would have held the ball, something bad would have happened, Just like the lineout, seemingly effed either way.

I was very much hoping for 13 man line out at the end!!!!! Who cares about copying the past, but it would have worked a little better (providing the throw would have been straight).

Like its been said, Priestland played reasonably well through the game, bar the missed tackle (arguably Robert's man) and missed kick for touch at end, resulting in the try. Our set pieces were too shaky, and in general we kicked away possession too much (prior to final play).

I'm not really worried about the whole pool situation. At the end of the day, If you wanna be the best, you gotta beat the best. We always expect Wales to get out of pool stages, and therefore being 3rd seed means we'll have less expectation to "coast" through (at least the media will) and we will have to work hard (even though we always have to, the media completely p!!!es me off).

Its not all doom and gloom. We're such a Bipolar rugby nation. One minute we (the media) think we can take on the world after a few good wins/performances, the next we lose a few games we "should" have won, and we are the worst team in the world. (I am attempting to use the term Bipolar in the most respectable way possible, I do not mean any offense to any sufferers of the condition.!!!!

Congrats to the Saes btw!!!! Bring on the 6 nations!

With regards to the pool, I understand the whole "beat the big ones" but this means we can't really rest any players. Granted, we had a tough draw in 2011 and did decently, we could expect one very similar.

What changes need to be made? Who should enter/leave the squad? Coaching changes?
I'd like to see Jonathan Davies brought into the staff. Say what you want about him, but he will call it the way it is, and won't take any ********. As an outsider, could Iestyn Harris offer anything, perhaps skills coach? Andy Robinson would be an excellent forwards coach, but that seems to be Gatland's department right now.

Halfpenny has been taken to Hospital, Gatland not saying what but early suggestions is to do with the neck / spine.

Really? I didn't think Priestland was as shite as normal, but he wasn't great. Few poor kicks, namely.

He made a couple of mistakes, but I thought he did lots of very good things. He was key to the expansive game we played in the second quarter, his kicking was generally well placed as well, he also put a few decent tackles in for once. His two main mistakes were the missed tackle early on (it was his man, not Roberts), and missing touch at the end. The option to kick was easily the right decision, but it needed to go out. It was still an OK kick though, but the chase simply wasn't good enough.

What changes need to be made? Who should enter/leave the squad? Coaching changes?
I'd like to see Jonathan Davies brought into the staff. Say what you want about him, but he will call it the way it is, and won't take any ********. As an outsider, could Iestyn Harris offer anything, perhaps skills coach? Andy Robinson would be an excellent forwards coach, but that seems to be Gatland's department right now.

I don't think Jonathan Davies would have the time. He's got a very good commentating career in place, commentating on union and league, and he's got his show on S4C. He knows his stuff, and I think he'd be a good attack coach, but I don't want unproven coaches involved with Wales again. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Nigel Davies is one of the top attack coaches out there. Every team he's involved with are extremely creative (Scarlets, Wales under Gareth Jenkins and now Gloucester). Not sure he'd a) leave Gloucester so soon after taking the role or b) want to be involved with the WRU again after he and Gareth Jenkins were treated.

Howley needs to go though. The improvements Wales made once Gatland was back involved were huge. He's a rubbish attack coach anyway.

Agree with Andy Robinson. He's a good coach and would be better than McBryde.

Halfpenny has been taken to Hospital, Gatland not saying what but early suggestions is to do with the neck / spine.

I really hope he's OK. I'm worried that it's something really serious.

I really dont know what to say. Gutted doesn't cover it.

Don't like Nigel Davies. Turk attack wasn't structured, rather, it relied up individuals such as Davies and King. Also, I can't see him getting the assistant coach position again (had it under Gyppo).
Jonathan Davies does have a fair bit of income coming in, but surely he would help his country out...

Really worried about Leigh, he is the bravest player we have had in a long time.

Also, immense defence from Roberts, 17/0 tackle stats.

fk, I'll check it out tomorrow...heard the Ozzies scored a try around the 80' to claim the win !!!!!!
I'm a Wallaby fan, but I still wanted Wales to win this one just so they could redeem themselves...but life doesn't work like that, there aren't always round numbers, there are decimals. There aren't always happy endings, there are just...endings.
Wales will shine one day, not the next. Then shine again 4 days in a row, then go dark for a week...
No need to dig too deep into this, it's disappointing but that's all it is. It's something we aaaaaall deal with...

Convincing stuff eh...

Halfpenny: 6.5
Cuthbert: 5
Davies: 5
Roberts: 6
Williams: 4.5
Priestland: 5
Phillips: 5.5
Jenkins: 5.5
Rees: 5
Andrews: 5
Reed: 4
Charteris: 5
Shingler: 5
Warburton: 5.5
Faletau: 5

If mine are too low, probably add two. I can't rate high in a loss, sorry.
Roberts was good in defence, Halfpenny the usual. I thought Phillips was pretty decent, actually. Pack was iffy, not really a match for tight fives. Warburton looks out of it, three pens conceded, not looking like a captain.

That is a set of incredibly harsh ratings. Yeah we lost but only by 2 and the overall performance was better than Argentina, Samoa and first 50 of the NZ games and I'm willing to guess if we checked your ratings for those games they'd be similar.

To give Halfpenny only 6.5 is a joke, frankly. His overall effort, positional play and bravery is worth an 8 in my mind. And Lou Reed a 4? Almost libelous, what more did you want him to do, he carried, he rucked well, he tackled well. And if its for the line out you can't pin all that on him (interestingly the bloke who throws it in to the line-out is rated higher). Liam Williams was better than a 4.5 too, put himself about, admittedly not as much as last week but forgots ache mun, he was hardly bad.

Like I said, add two to each for nicer ratings. I might just be angry right now.
Perhaps I'll revisit them later, I just can't bear to reflect on the past few weeks at the moment.

If you know your emotions are high after the game then why post a set of ratings you know you'll need to backtrack on. Seems weird to me

I'll stand by what I put. We choked once more, and we have no excuses. We should have been all over that Australian side. If the team as a 7/8, then what does that say?
I am just gutted. First of all because we really didn't play well, save for a few individual moments, and secondly we just haven't learned anything from the past few months.

What would you give the players?

(Just if I need to justify)
Halfpenny: 6.5 Decent kicking, but missed a complete sitter. Some good moments in attack, but still seems to be getting to grips with hitting the line.
Cuthbert: 5 One excellent break but completely blown. Good in contact, but need to look for space.
Davies: 5 Pretty quiet match for Davies, nothing awful, nothing great.
Roberts: 6 Excellent in defence, made some hard yards but I still question his role in attack.
Williams: 4.5 Positioning was questionable, looked to get stuck in, but not test level yet.
Priestland: 5 No real command. He passed and kicked decently, but hardly controlled the game.
Phillips: 5.5 Got stuck in, decent distribution, still our best SH.
Jenkins: 5.5 Scrummaged well, still looks unfit, but improving?
Rees: 5 Looked to move the ball, but holds onto it too long. Lineouts were wobbly, difficult to pin the blame.
Andrews: 5 No complaints, solid in the scrum.
Reed: 4 Expected to fulfill Charteris' role in the lineouts, not great.
Charteris: 5 Tough to call.
Shingler: 5 One of the cogs in our poor lineout. Will improve over time in general play.
Warburton: 5.5 Worked hard for the most part, but gave a few needless penalties and seems quiet for a captain.
Faletau: 5 Quieter match from Toby, good in defence.

Look, I agree with most of your reasoning and I'm not saying rate everyone a 7 or 8. What I am saying is that as a team we were better than the Argentina game where these were your ratings

I don't know the Pumas players well enough to them wholly accurate ratings.
I would have given Camacho MotM. Outstanding in defence, stopped our wings dead.

[TABLE="class: grid, width: 850"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]Player[/TD]
[TD]Description[/TD]
[TD]Rating (from 10)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]15 Leigh Halfpenny[/TD]
[TD]Accurate off the tee, but uncharacteristically clumsy in other facets[/TD]
[TD]6[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]14 Alex Cuthbert[/TD]
[TD]Given little ball, no real noticeable moments[/TD]
[TD]5[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]13 Scott Williams[/TD]
[TD]Decent in defence, little opportunity in attack. Kicked possession away in good positions.
[/TD]
[TD]5[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]12 Jamie Roberts[/TD]
[TD]Injured in first half[/TD]
[TD]N/A[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]11 George North[/TD]
[TD]See Alex Cuthbert[/TD]
[TD]5[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]10 Rhys Priestland[/TD]
[TD]Poor kicking, offered nothing in attack. Must be dropped.[/TD]
[TD]4[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]9 Tavis Knoyle[/TD]
[TD]Passed the ball, but offered little otherwise[/TD]
[TD]5[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]1 Gethin Jenkins[/TD]
[TD]Simply not match fit, must leave Toulon or surpass Sheridan.[/TD]
[TD]4[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2 Matthew Rees[/TD]
[TD]Lineouts surprisingly decent, but nothing of note elsewhere.[/TD]
[TD]4[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]3 Aaron Jarvis[/TD]
[TD]Held his own in the scrum and looked to get involved. Have we found a replacement tighthead?[/TD]
[TD]6[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]4 Alun Wyn Jones[/TD]
[TD]Lost the ball in contact, gave away numerous penalties, carried on where he left off in Sydney[/TD]
[TD]4[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]5 Ian Evans[/TD]
[TD]Did he play?[/TD]
[TD]4[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]6 Josh Turnbull[/TD]
[TD]Missed four tackles, only contribution in lineout. Very poor, unsurprisngly[/TD]
[TD]3[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]7 Sam Warburton[/TD]
[TD]Shockingly off-form, offered nothing, really.[/TD]
[TD]3[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]8 Toby Faletau[/TD]
[TD]Perhaps the only Welsh player who actually had a good game. Carried for 122m, 11/1 in tackles.[/TD]
[TD]7[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Reserves[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]+/-/=
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Richard Hibbard[/TD]
[TD]Poor lineout cost a good attacking position, but looked to get involved[/TD]
[TD]=[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Ryan Bevington[/TD]
[TD]Given little time, made a few tackles and conceded a penalty.[/TD]
[TD]=[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Paul James[/TD]
[TD]No issues replacing Jarvis, got involved in general[/TD]
[TD]+[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Rob McCusker[/TD]
[TD]Why was he on the bench? Blew a certain try, too little, too late[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Justin Tipuric[/TD]
[TD]Came on and immediately made a steal. Must start soon[/TD]
[TD]+[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Mike Phillips[/TD]
[TD]Love of hate him, he is Wales' best scrum half. Looked to challenge the Pumas at the break down[/TD]
[TD]+[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]James Hook[/TD]
[TD]Not an inside centre for the style we play[/TD]
[TD]=[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Liam Williams[/TD]
[TD]Unused[/TD]
[TD]N/A[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

On the whole, they are very similar for what was a far worse performance.

I understand the whole "bottling" thing butin my view to give the ratings you have it implies you thought they weren't trying. I willing to bet that these ratings would be a lot higher had we held on and beacuse of what? 30 seconds more defending or an Aussie knock on? I think you are criticizing just for the sake of it.

Draggs got to agree with SelimNiai, some of the ratings and comments are a little harsh. We weren't as bad as earlier on in the AI's. None of the players deserve past 7 but none of them don't deserve to be low as 4s.

Latest posts