• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

EPCR Challenge Cup 22/23

We probably will, we've only had one decent game this year and we'd have lost that if not for a red card that got rescinded in the citing

It's infuriating, every man and his dog can see it's not working yet he persists
Think he's too pally with some players, doesn't want to **** them off by dropping them (yet, ironically after singing his praises so much before his 200th game, he's dropped Sam James who's been playing his best rugby for about 4yrs)
This forum was talking up Sam James for England a few weeks ago, now cant get a game.

Screenshot 2023-04-06 at 14.58.45.png

Scarlets: Leigh Halfpenny; Steff Evans, Joe Roberts, Johnny Williams, Ryan Conbeer; Sam Costelow, Gareth Davies; Kemsley Mathias, Ken Owens, Javan Sebastian, Vaea Fifita, Sam Lousi, Aaron Shingler, Josh Macleod (capt), Sione Kalamafoni.

Replacements: Shaun Evans, Wyn Jones, Sam Wainwright, Morgan Jones, Carwyn Tuipulotu, Kieran Hardy, Dan Jones, Ioan Nicholas.

Clermont: Alex Newsome; Damian Penaud, Irae Simone, George Moala, Alivereti Raka; Anthony Belleau, Baptiste Jauneau; Etienne Falgoux, Etienne Fourcade, Cristian Ojovan, Thibaud Lanen, Paul Jedrasiak, Killian Tixeront, Lucas Dessaigne, Fritz Lee (capt).

Replacements: Jean-Maxence Jules-Rosette, Giorgi Beria, Rabah Slimani, Edward Annandale, Jacobus Van Tonder, Sébastien Bézy, Jules Plisson, Bautista Delguy,

Referee: Wayne Barnes (England)

Assistant referees: Adam Leal & Sara Cox (England)

TMO: Andrew Jackson (England).

Yeah good win in the end. Scarlets issue is their forwards can be easily dominated by a strong pack, with the likes of Lousi, Fefita, Shingler etc. great ball players, but a little powderpuff in the tight. Clermont just targeted them for large chunks of that game, using their maul and pick n' go's well to gain ground and score try's. Throw in a couple of poweful backs + Penaud and I thought there was no way back for Scarlets midway through that second half, even with clermont down a man.

Great last 20 from Scarlets though to sneak it. Offload from Tuipolotu was sublime, great to see from the young man.

They need to be much better if they want to win this cup though, cut the mistaes out and tighten thing up in the forwards.

The cross kicking is this game is incredible. Pretty fun game so far.

Really good win for the Scarlets. Given how Glasgow are playing at the moment, I imagine they will go through and then I think it'll be a trip to Parc Y Scarlets for them? That will be a mammoth game against a strong Glasgow team.

Cardiff have to dispel some demons from the end of last season in Treviso this afternoon. I think Treviso are favourites being at home. It's such a shame Jarrod Evans didn't pass a fitness test as he had such a good game against Sale. Whilst I think Priestland is really solid he can't break the defence like Jarrod can. I imagine if Cardiff win this it'll be a very tight score.

Only saw the highlights, but looked like Cardiff missed Jarrod's ability to put people into space.

Benetton are a very good side nowadays though, so the resilt is as I expected given it was played in Treviso.

Only saw the highlights, but looked like Cardiff missed Jarrod's ability to put people into space.

Benetton are a very good side nowadays though, so the resilt is as I expected given it was played in Treviso.

Yeah for sure. I think the first half the attacking line was set a lot deeper than it should have been in an attack as well and got caught behind the gain line a lot. I'm glad they changed it second half and got Llewelyn and Grady in the game a bit more. Between that and some poor kicking, Cardiff didn't make the most of chances / territory when they had it and Treviso did. TBH neither of those teams were going to beat Toulon away.

Lions did. themselves proud in that game. Had good territory in the first half and couldn't convert. Technically they won the second half (although that doesn't count for anything). It's a great experience for the players to learn how to play knock out rugby in Europe. I'm really hoping this gives them a boost in their last two home games. Technically they could still qualify, who knows… they just need to beat whatever Leinster team that gets shipped their way.

Well done Glasgow, they're having a great season and a massive improvement from last year. Franco Smith has been great for them.

There's no need to analyze the other teams, RC Toulon will win the 2023 challenge cup.

Toulon was a finalist last season, this year the trophy is for them.

Well that was a terrible game,

Toulon barely out of first gear, Benetton barely a whimper
Toulon doing enough to keep the game out of reach without doing much else

I'm a Warriors fan so I hope they win. But they'll have to play a near perfect match to beat Toulon.

EobaxrBr-6iyxTNYj.png

Latest posts