• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2023/24 EPCR tournament formats announced

Top 14 relegation fodder's espoirs and vets vs Currie cup semi finalists really gets the loins going

Cheetahs over the Lusitanos or Iberians is such a dog **** call

Let's help out an actual developing rugby nation, like maybe one who has just qualified to the rugby World Cup or nearly did and who have a completely new market for rugby

Or another SA team that isn't needed
I agree, but if the Saffers are in then all their major teams should be in, so Cheetahs in, maybe add them to the Super Cup as well.
I personally think a top tier of 20 teams in 4 groups of 5 playing home OR away, with knockouts create greater excitement.
Second tier of 25 in 5 groups of 5 playing with top 5 from Super Cup would work, (if Cheetahs were included, as well as a 3rd Italian team and a 3rd Scottish team)

I agree, but if the Saffers are in then all their major teams should be in, so Cheetahs in, maybe add them to the Super Cup as well.
I personally think a top tier of 20 teams in 4 groups of 5 playing home OR away, with knockouts create greater excitement.
Second tier of 25 in 5 groups of 5 playing with top 5 from Super Cup would work, (if Cheetahs were included, as well as a 3rd Italian team and a 3rd Scottish team)
Are Cheetahs a major team at the moment?

I think any invitee kind of defeats the purpose of European competition, they should make the last two spots available to the Rugby Super Cup finalists and forget about the Cheetahs imo.

Why should all their major teams be in it?

It's not an entitlement.

If the cheetahs are that major a team why did they get kicked out the UrC for the others?

Why should all their major teams be in it?

It's not an entitlement.

If the cheetahs are that major a team why did they get kicked out the UrC for the others?
Yeah but they USED to be in the top league, which is why I think they should invite Orrell RUFC next season

Cheetahs were a club four years ago. Now they are just another Currie cup side and they can't even win that. I wonder if the SARU has some sponsor obligations they need to fulfill but it makes no sense.

I'd rather see the actual Currie cup champs or super cup second place.

Czech Republic is now in the super cup this year so good progress there.

Literally might bankrupt us, but oh well - we had a good run

I read you have Stormers and Leinster away

Tigers POV
La Rochelle away will be fun slight arse to get too, but exciting atmosphere
Stade away prob the best away game of the pool
Leinster at home gives us the best chance I guess, potential RWC fallout.
Stormers at home miles better than away.

Now they are just another Currie cup side and they can't even win that.

I'd rather see the actual Currie cup champs or super cup second place.

Just a slight defense of the Cheetahs here, they are the Currie Cup champions.

Yeah, I'm an idiot - I was even looking at flights to Dublin as I was typing it as well

Good news: if you decide to make a week holiday out of it, it's going to be 30 degree summer weather with the beach, wine and lots of outdoor activities for a super low price because the GBP ZAR exchange rate has tanked for SA.

Bad news: flights will be costly. It's just after the main tourist season and before all the Germans descend in February, but you're still probably looking at 500+ pounds a ticket.

Excellent the Georgians are included but this would never have happened but for the unforeseen issues with London Irish. Rumours suggest 3x English Championship sides wanted to bid to be one of the invitees but either the English union or the Premiership failed to support it, so their bids were withdrawn late on. This may be why there was a delay in the invitees being announced as EPCR frantically checked down the back of the sofa for an alternative to Georgia or Tel Aviv.

The Black Lions are looking to hire some players back from D2 so it sounds like they are aware this is something they need to take very seriously to keep them in the public eye internationally.

Agree the Cheetahs in Amsterdam is good, apparently they have a dutch international in their squad too, which can't hurt.

Latest posts