TRF_Olyy

English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
  • EPCR confirms a return to a multi-pool format for 2023/24 season, agreed with the Leagues and Unions
  • 24 clubs in the Champions Cup will be in four pools of six, and 18 clubs in the EPCR Challenge Cup will be in three pools of six
  • The leading eight clubs from each of the three Leagues will compete in the Champions Cup
  • Two invited clubs will compete in the EPCR Challenge Cup
  • The new formats will drive increased sporting jeopardy with each club playing against four different opponents home or away in the pool stages

Glad to see the pools back,
80% representation for the Prem in the Champions cup, as it bloody should be
Be interested to see who the two invitees are - really hoping it's two Romanian/Georgian/Spanish/Italian sides like back in the day, if not then Jersey/Ealing, but realistically it'll probably be Cheetahs and Griquas or something

Sorry, but making a decent format really shouldn't be this hard.

Any idea who the invited teams for Challenge Cup are? Tier 2 clubs?

Any idea who the invited teams for Challenge Cup are? Tier 2 clubs?
There were rumours that it was two clubs from the Championship (Jersey and Ealing) because of London Irish and Wasps/Worcester going under,
I reckon it'll probably be two Currie Cup sides after last years debacle, though

Really hope it's two tier 2 sides - maybe the top two from the Rugby Europe Super Cup, it's got sides from Georgia, Romania, Spain, Portugal, Netherlands, Belgium and Israel in, and would give them something to aim for and help them progress.

Hopefully Currie cup winner
Boooooooo

"If Stade Rochelais happen to win the TOP 14 ***le, then the Champions Cup final runners-up, Leinster Rugby, will be included in Tier 1."

Give me Tier 2

Also considering this:

There will be no matches between clubs from the same league, so for the purposes of creating the fixtures, each club will play four matches against four different clubs who are not from the same league either home or away during the pool stage.

This seems redundant / anti-competitive:

Clubs from the same URC Shield cannot be in the same pool. Therefore, the Irish qualifiers – Munster Rugby, Leinster Rugby, Ulster Rugby and Connacht Rugby – will each be in a different pool, and similarly, the DHL Stormers and the Vodacom Bulls from South Africa will be kept apart during the draw

Like strange format if I have it right. Leinster as a tier 2 could have to play 1 4 games and 2 away. 1 will probably be against Saracens, La Rochelle or Toulouse with no return game.
Like it really will be funny like potentially taking Leinster there is a world where there 2 away games are Toulouse or La Rochelle and a trip to South Africa. And having a South Africa team away and home we both know are 2 totally different worlds

Like strange format if I have it right. Leinster as a tier 2 could have to play 1 4 games and 2 away. 1 will probably be against Saracens, La Rochelle or Toulouse with no return game.
Like it really will be funny like potentially taking Leinster there is a world where there 2 away games are Toulouse or La Rochelle
Bring it on
and a trip to South Africa. And having a South Africa team away and home we both know are 2 totally different worlds
Can't be that hard

I just don't see the need for so many teams.
If it's got more than half the teams from any particular league, then it's not really an improvement on that league.

My favoured is always going to be:
6 from URC, 5 from T14, 4 from Prem + reigning champions. Arranged into 4 pools of 4.
Top 2 go through to the Cup QFs, bottom 2 go to the Plate QFs (no dropping down to the Challenge Cup).

Ideally Challenge Cup can be 4 pools of 4; 6 from URC, 6 from T14, 4 from Prem. Again, Cup and Plate KO stages.

Tier 3 can then be the remaining 3-4 URC, the remaining 1-2 from T14 and the remaining 1-2 from Prem; with 8 others (maybe top 2 from ProD2 and Championship + Georgia, Portugal, Romania & Spain?).

Tier 4 for the rest of Europe.

Not perfect (mostly because each league wants more teams in there, to maintain interest in their own league's mid-table), but my preference, tight, simple, everyone gets a QF, shouldn't be any major mis-matches.

Hear me out but wouldn't be the worse thing for rugby right now if Tiktok picked up the main sponsorship. Especially if they plug it hard.

Hell I wouldn't mind if the Prem got picked up by Tiktok lol, rugby needs something to connect it to most of the markets that Tiktok is massive in.

Tiktok champions cup winners all have to do a dance on the winner podium I can say this because Leicester are never going to win.

Yeah they've been a great sponsor for the Women's 6N - see more advertising for that comp than the men's online

Rugby needs a kick up the arse WRT social media, they're not utilising it to even a fraction of the extent that they should if they want to be growing the game
Plugging some cantankerous ex-players podcasts ain't it

Yeah they've been a great sponsor for the Women's 6N - see more advertising for that comp than the men's online

Rugby needs a kick up the arse WRT social media, they're not utilising it to even a fraction of the extent that they should if they want to be growing the game
Plugging some cantankerous ex-players podcasts ain't it

What you mean hearing two ex rugby players from nearly 20 years ago talk about the size of players dicks and melted wheel bin bodies isn't going to expand the game?

Really happy to see the Black Lion involved,
Not so much the Cheetahs

Cheetahs over the Lusitanos or Iberians is such a dog **** call

Let's help out an actual developing rugby nation, like maybe one who has just qualified to the rugby World Cup or nearly did and who have a completely new market for rugby

Or another SA team that isn't needed

Ohhhh Cheetahs are to play in amsterdam for Europe.
Honestly that's a cool move

Disagree with the team being in over Spain and Portugal but they should make the other SA teams play in Germany (Munich and Berlin maybe), Amsterdam and Switzerland lol

Latest posts