• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

European Champions Cup Quarter Final Leinster vs Bath

Just read through this thread properly, I think the negative rugby comments are way off, Leinster tried to play good stuff and score tries but they are just too **** to do anything going left to right or when Fitzgerald has been tackled. They didn't spread it as much as Bath but Bath's inaccuracy in this aspect of their game list it for them. Not that it matters as it was a game to see who could give Toulon their guard of honour into the final.

As for Kearney, it was a horrible fall he took after Watson took him out and he was quite badly winded as well as having fell on his shoulder and as for the high tackle the camera angles were bad there head on Agulla got around his neck and took him down.

Kearney was screaming before he hit the floor on Watson one. So it can't have been what hurt him. Heaslip also asking for a red is inexcusable.

- - - Updated - - -

Come off it.
He entered behind his teamates legs when they were essentially perpendicular to the tryline. That can't be honestly and truly construed as through the gate. Also look at the angle upon entry, contact and driving through. It was a penalty clear as day.

http://bcove.me/3flv02bu
Steps over his own player and clears him out fine for me. Penalty to Bath. Leinster should have had a penalty earlier in the piece which was given to Bath though so evens its self up.

Kearney was screaming before he hit the floor on Watson one. So it can't have been what hurt him. Heaslip also asking for a red is inexcusable.

Alerting the ref to a penalty offence is ok to me, being injured is also reason to stay down. The only person who did anything wrong in this incident was Watson. As for Heaslip, he shouldn't be saying that but I reckon he was just unlucky that he was heard, I'd say captains do it all the time. The way Leinster were painted as villains yesterday was pretty pathetic.
@munstermuffen A tackle with no arms that results in a player concussing another with a shoulder is illegal, end of.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alerting the ref to a penalty offence is ok to me, being injured is also reason to stay down. The only person who did anything wrong in this incident was Watson. As for Heaslip, he shouldn't be saying that but I reckon he was just unlucky that he was heard, I'd say captains do it all the time. The way Leinster were painted as villains yesterday was pretty pathetic.
@munstermuffen A tackle with no arms that results in a player concussing another with a shoulder is illegal, end of.

I disagree. Eastmond attempted to get arms around but McFadden was dipping so (as was shown by TMO) it was legal hence there was no penalty avoided so have to disagree and say the TMO/red got it 100% correct. And well the lack of protest from any Leinster player seems to show same.
Regards asking for guys to be sent off I've never heard it before and well Madigan was heard few times shouting at AR for pens too. As in CMAC it may sound pathetic but I don't know was it BT or bad luck but Leinster came across yesterday as a team whining a lot on tv.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry you are defending the indefensible (cmac95 ) and it is poor to see. Madigan could be seen screaming at the assistant.

Worrying times for Leinster. Feel sorry for MOC. Trying to follow Schmidt is so tough but God we're pretty awful at the moment. Feeling for Bath. They should've gone through. Thank god Sexton is coming back, hopefully it'll lift the team a little.

When have I defended screaming at the refs? I defended Kearney for being injured and stated a captain looking to manipulate a ref's decision isn't all that uncommon and then the illegal tackle by Eastmond. People on this thread are asking for a rugby utopia, it's not going to happen every team try to win the ref battle it's part of the game these days.
Leinster won because they were more professional (slightly), BT however made it out that Bath played all the rugby, were by far the better team and Leinster won because they cried to the ref, George Ford said the same it's pathetic. Bath were a better rugby team but over 80 mins they had so many brain farts and were completely ill-disciplined that it made them being a better side completely useless.

Worrying times for Leinster. Feel sorry for MOC. Trying to follow Schmidt is so tough but God we're pretty awful at the moment. Feeling for Bath. They should've gone through. Thank god Sexton is coming back, hopefully it'll lift the team a little.

Anyone following Schmidt will have found it tough. But ye will beat Toulon.
@Cmac I don't think Eastmonds tackle was illegal having watched it numerous times. It was just unfortunate the way McFadden dipped in but certainly (as was proven by TMO) nothing illegal.
I agree Kearney wasn't faking as he left field with injury.

Last edited:
Bath were a better rugby team but over 80 mins they had so many brain farts and were completely ill-disciplined that it made them being a better side completely useless.
Don't agree with everything your saying but this is the complete truth if you add in Fords two missed kicks.

Bath didn't deserve to win and cost themselves the game. Leinsters players didn't behave very well. Not mutually exclusive positions to hold.

When have I defended screaming at the refs? I defended Kearney for being injured and stated a captain looking to manipulate a ref's decision isn't all that uncommon and then the illegal tackle by Eastmond. People on this thread are asking for a rugby utopia, it's not going to happen every team try to win the ref battle it's part of the game these days.
Leinster won because they were more professional (slightly), BT however made it out that Bath played all the rugby, were by far the better team and Leinster won because they cried to the ref, George Ford said the same it's pathetic. Bath were a better rugby team but over 80 mins they had so many brain farts and were completely ill-disciplined that it made them being a better side completely useless.

i don't think Eastmonds tackle was illegal, just unfortunate.

I think Leinster did bully the ref a lot but that's just how it goes, i find it sad that the game at this level has gone to this but i doubt there is a team the world over doesn't cry "Ref!!! he's killing the ball" etc.... go to any park on a saturday afternoon and the players ref the game for the ref.

Were Bath team? sometimes, but they lost and there isn't really much else to say, neither side looked like Champion material but i have more faith in Leinster backing up a poor performance in a semi than Bath.

Lads on all this. Bath lost because they were destroyed in scrum. Leaked pens in wrong areas and had many unforced errors

Christ wept, they're completely linked it's the BT premiership propaganda. It's English players believing their own hype which makes them think that they only lose because everyone conspires against them, eg. George Ford, "the Irish are good at milking penalties", Mike Brown, "Scotland rolled over", that results in professional, winning sides being dubbed as villains and spankings like Saints received yesterday because they don't believe that they can be beaten.

Every winning side has had a mean streak, nobody have a **** when Johnson intimidated refs, McCaw gets applauded for his cheating. "Leinster didn't behave well" is a childish statement, "Leinster did what they had to win and I don't like it" is fair but it can't be a criticism of Leinster because if they were out of line going at the refs it would have been dealt with by the officials, we see it all the time and Garces doesn't take **** from players. It all started because of Brian O'Driscoll's craving to be loved in retirement and the only team that he can criticise is his own, he was always at the ref as a player.

Lads on all this. Bath lost because they were destroyed in scrum. Leaked pens in wrong areas and had many unforced errors
Scrums less so whilst I think Leinster were on top Garces reset the scrum constantly if the defending team did better on the first scrum. Due to baths handling errors this cost them dearly. Seriously though how many penalties did Leinster get on a reset scrum rather than the first.

It's a pretty common way of officiating but it winds me up. Then again the scrum does in general with the way teams play for penalties which both Leinster and Bath were guilty of.

Christ wept, they're completely linked it's the BT premiership propaganda. It's English players believing their own hype which makes them think that they only lose because everyone conspires against them, eg. George Ford, "the Irish are good at milking penalties", Mike Brown, "Scotland rolled over", that results in professional, winning sides being dubbed as villains and spankings like Saints received yesterday because they don't believe that they can be beaten.

Every winning side has had a mean streak, nobody have a **** when Johnson intimidated refs, McCaw gets applauded for his cheating. "Leinster didn't behave well" is a childish statement, "Leinster did what they had to win and I don't like it" is fair but it can't be a criticism of Leinster because if they were out of line going at the refs it would have been dealt with by the officials, we see it all the time and Garces doesn't take **** from players. It all started because of Brian O'Driscoll's craving to be loved in retirement and the only team that he can criticise is his own, he was always at the ref as a player.

God, aren't we English so... Arrogant.

No it started because Leinsters players acted poorly, did it change outcome of game ? No but still worth mentioning. Nothing wrong with what Brown said, Scotland were abject. Andy Nicol even apologised on BBC to Martin Williams for their performance.

Scrums less so whilst I think Leinster were on top Garces reset the scrum constantly if the defending team did better on the first scrum. Due to baths handling errors this cost them dearly. Seriously though how many penalties did Leinster get on a reset scrum rather than the first.

It's a pretty common way of officiating but it winds me up. Then again the scrum does in general with the way teams play for penalties which both Leinster and Bath were guilty of.

While I see your view. It was clear James was in trouble. As you say it was reset but that's the way most refs go these days.
I think it was 5 pens were from scrums. And I have to say I think all 5 were correct off top of head

While I see your view. It was clear James was in trouble. As you say it was reset but that's the way most refs go these days.
I think it was 5 pens were from scrums. And I have to say I think all 5 were correct off top of head
Oh don't get me wrong I think the decisions when he made them were correct. I just felt Bath deserved some penalties with some very solid defensive scrummaging at times and Garces just reset them when Lenister committed the infraction (usually in the first scrum).

As noted nothing wrong with Leinster they were playing the ref and everyone does it. Just saying I felt they were on top scrum time but didn't demolish it.

Oh don't get me wrong I think the decisions when he made them were correct. I just felt Bath deserved some penalties with some very solid defensive scrummaging at times and Garces just reset them when Lenister committed the infraction (usually in the first scrum).

As noted nothing wrong with Leinster they were playing the ref and everyone does it. Just saying I felt they were on top scrum time but didn't demolish it.

Well that's fair but I suppose it's simply dependant on ref which varies from each individual.

Latest posts