• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

European Championships Qualifiers

That was quite an achievement by Scotland, winning in France. Never saw it coming. Congratulations :D

It still makes me laugh when I see the European Championship Qualfiers table and Scotland are sitting nicely on top of France and Italy. The scots deserve all the plaudits in the world for the way they are playing and while it would be a shame if either france or italy don't make it to the Euros, I hope Scotland make it.

another 3 points for the Scots! :D

win on wedensday an we only need a point against Italy to knock them out - but even if we loose in Tblissi we can still qualify!

for Scotland our Euro 2008 is tantalisingly close now - dont blow it guys! we have the abillity to win this group. it was said at the start we would get lucky once and it happened at home to france - but we have deserved every other point we have won!

but whatever happens, the team have made us proud! to split the world cup finalists is one thing - to LEAD them is just incredible! and even scarier - if Scotland achieve the unthinkable and beat Italy when they come to hampden we must surley be seen as a good shout for the ***le?

We are so close! I cant believe that there is good chance of us going through! I just hope we finish top! Remeber when we were so close to going through to the World Cup or Euro Champ! (cant remember) and we got Holland in the play-off! Did so well at Hampden to win 1-0 but then we let oursleves down away!

But hopfully we beat Georgia and thenTarten Army can really get behind Scotland against Italy!!!!

I hope Scotland can go through. They have been very impressive and deserve to make it to the next round.

Euro 2004 - any other team and we would have had a chance. having the home leg first didnt help either: we ****** them off when we won and they hamered us 6-0 the following wedensday.

only 1 big performance is required now - wedensdays game will also be tough but we might as well just go for it!

Well I don't hold much hope for their chances now, I'd give England a better chance at the moment of qualifying and that's saying something considering the predicament they find themselves in. As for Ireland we just keep going from bad to worse.

Having watched the Scottish match yesterday it was hard to see how they were a team in contention of qualifying for a major tournament. They had no structure to their game and created very little against, let's face it not one of the heavyweights of European football.

Didn't see the England match but a shocking penalty decision from who is one of the better referees around on the international scene, in my opinion, has cost them dear, that and another howler from Robinson.

As for Ireland, well sweet Thiarna, I feel sorry for the 54000 who had to pay â'¬70 to witness that drivel, and having read a supporter's account of the match my hatred for the FAI has grown 10 fold.

Stewards removed fans who took out a banner saying Delaney (CEO FAI) Out, and when fans started chanting Staunton Out a senior steward instructed the band to start playing to drown them out, the FAI have some nerve, first they get rid of a manager purely because Delaney didn't vote for him, then they promised us a world class manager and they appoint the Walsall reserve team coach and even worse they give him a 4 year contract instead of a 2 year one. The FAI are getting what they deserve with Delaney at the helm and unless he is forced out, though I doubt this will happen, then we will continue with these pathetic performances against the minnows and some credible draws sprinkled in amongst that. That just isn't acceptable, there are no awesome international football teams, with a proper management team we'd be in a position to qualify and compete at major tournaments. With a decent coach we would have got 12 points against Cyprus and Slovakia and not fallen to pieces in the away games in Stuttgart and Prague but when you're willing to do things on the cheap it'll bite you in the ass in the long run.

Rant over.

TBH Scotland might as well sent their U-19's on Wedensday - team just didnt play (partially due to injuries to key players such as Hutton, Brown, McCulloch and Fletcher first game in over a month) but we are due a bad performance.

personally i still think we can qualify - Italy game will be the biggest "cup final" Hampden has witnessed since the days it held nearly 200,000! with the support the team will get it will be very hard for Italy - this is a group of players that have given everything over the past 14 months to qualify and they wont want to blow it now!!!

and just to show how people feel about the teams chances in Scotland, the 1500 who traveled to Tblisi still gave the team a standing ovation as they left the field - compare that to England fans in moscow and Ireland fans in Dublin (and Wales fans even!).

I said in my earlier post only 1 more big performance was required - and i stand by that! Scotland have proven they can take anyone on their day. it wasnt their night on wedensday, but there is still every chance we could pull out a big performance next month.

as for England - im worried about how the BBC are gonna cope next summer with only Scotland there! ;)

:lol: @ England,they wont be able to lose another penalty shootout. :bleh!:

Germany are through so i'm happy even though that performance against the czech was absolute shite. :angry:

TBH Scotland might as well sent their U-19's on Wedensday - team just didnt play (partially due to injuries to key players such as Hutton, Brown, McCulloch and Fletcher first game in over a month) but we are due a bad performance.

personally i still think we can qualify - Italy game will be the biggest "cup final" Hampden has witnessed since the days it held nearly 200,000! with the support the team will get it will be very hard for Italy - this is a group of players that have given everything over the past 14 months to qualify and they wont want to blow it now!!!

and just to show how people feel about the teams chances in Scotland, the 1500 who traveled to Tblisi still gave the team a standing ovation as they left the field - compare that to England fans in moscow and Ireland fans in Dublin (and Wales fans even!). [/b]

So you think that cause your fans gave your team a standing ovation for an abject failure that it makes them better then everyone else, give me a break, I have no time for fans who applaud a team off the pitch when they've let the country down. The Irish fans were perfectly right to jeer Staunton at the end of the game and if England fans did the same in Moscow then fair enough as well, that was a match they never looked like losing up to the 70th minute if reports are to be believed so anyone who paid money to travel to Moscow deserves to have the chance to let the team and management know how they feel, there's no point in doing likewise as footballers are generally quite stupid individuals so it lulls them into a false sense of security.

I said in my earlier post only 1 more big performance was required - and i stand by that! Scotland have proven they can take anyone on their day. it wasnt their night on wedensday, but there is still every chance we could pull out a big performance next month.

as for England - im worried about how the BBC are gonna cope next summer with only Scotland there! ;)
[/b]

I don't think the BBC will be that worried, England will qualify as I can't see Russia getting the job done in Israel and England don't lose at home, as for the Scots having a big performance left, that may well be true but it may only be good enough to get a draw and mean relying on Ukraine for a favour, still a massive ask imo. Could be a nerve wrecking 4 days for the Scots in November

think you took my point about the fans wrongly - point i was making was just how much belief there is in the team at the moment, and that our fans arent going to let 1 defeat dampen their spirits. over the last 15 months the team has come so far, and all they need now is one last big performance, a bit of luck and the refereeing decisions to go their way (not sure well get the last bit though). It is entirley possible that Ukraine could beat france in Kiev - though since they kick-off 4 days after us i wouldnt want to rely on that!

And the form book is on Scotlands side:- Scotland havent lost a European Qualifier at Hampden for 11 years, while Italy have NEVER won on Scottish soil! and in some ways it actually suits sotland (well, at least the fans nerves) since if we could draw and go through then wed play for that and make a balls of it! at least this way we will play for the win!

Wednesday was a terrible day for the UK in our hopes to qualify for the European Championships. You can forgive England for losing to Russia as they were away, unlucky and playing a decent team, but Scotland really should have beaten Georgia.

Yeah we should of won! But we were also playing away and were unlucky! We should of had that penalty but sometimes thats the way it goes!

Yeah we should of won! But we were also playing away and were unlucky! We should of had that penalty but sometimes thats the way it goes!
[/b]

The thing is that Scotland shoudn`t depend on a penalty. They`re way superior, Georgia can`t threaten any UK team...

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

The thing is that Scotland shoudn`t depend on a penalty. They`re way superior, Georgia can`t threaten any UK team... [/b][/quote]

we shouldnt need to rely on a penalty, but the sad fact is Scotland didnt deserve to get anything out the game as the played crap - would a penalty scored change this? maybe. well never know though. However if a penalty offence is comitted we should also get given that penalty - had Faddy not been fouled he COULD have created a goal - thats the kind of player he is. The only worrying thing for me is the amount of decisions going against us - in our last 4 games there have been 5 penalty incidents (1 wrongfully awarded and 4 declined), of which 1 has gone our way.

but im not going to dwell on it, we know what we must do - beat Italy - so lets get ready for the biggest game Hampden has seen since the CL final.

Well I don't hold much hope for their chances now, I'd give England a better chance at the moment of qualifying and that's saying something considering the predicament they find themselves in. As for Ireland we just keep going from bad to worse.

Having watched the Scottish match yesterday it was hard to see how they were a team in contention of qualifying for a major tournament. They had no structure to their game and created very little against, let's face it not one of the heavyweights of European football.

[/b]

One match doesnt make a team, if you have watched how Scotland had won their previous 5 matches and topped the group with the best sides in the world then that doesnt come around by accident. Any other home nation would bit the Scotland teams hand off for the position they are in, that is having qualification in their own hands.

Latest posts