• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

"Expert" dsplays stupidity

Mike Burton rejects calls to ban scrums in schools

Former Gloucester, England and Lions prop Mike Burton has rejected calls for a ban on scrums in schools.
It comes from a report by Edinburgh University professor Allyson Pollock which looked in to child injuries.
"The IRB have been very responsible in the way that they have managed injury prevention especially with youngsters," Burton told BBC Radio Gloucestershire.
"In schools there's a special rule applied to the scrum where they keep the heads level with the hips."
He continued: "They're not allowed to do any lowering or moving at an angle and later on in life when props develop they learn the skills and their strength develops."
Another difference in the laws between youth and senior rugby is that packs are not allowed to push forward or be pushed backwards further than 1.5 metres in a scrum in schools games in an attempt to keep the risks involved to a minimum.
Burton has continued to be involved in rugby after his playing days by becoming one of the game's leading agents also questioned one of the other recommendations in the report. It highlighted that the most common act during a game which resulted in injuries across the 190 games studied was the tackle area, leading to the call for high tackles to be banned as well as scrums.
"It says the high tackle should be banned, well high tackles already are banned," said Burton.
"Here we have a professor saying all these things and she's not really thought it through, I'm very concerned about that."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/8793246.stm

:bravo:

HAW-HAW-HAW-HAW-HAW!

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/health/experts-clash-on-scrum-safety-1.1039897

Two academics from the same university have become embroiled in an embarrassing spat over their own research.
The cross-departmental row at Edinburgh University came as a doctor and a professor clashed after a study on rugby injuries.
In an extremely unusual move, Dr Alastair Nicol, lead author on the Study of Rugby Union Injuries in Scottish Schools, has criticised comments made by a colleague after publication of the joint research.
Nicol, medical director at the Fitness Assessment and Sports Injuries Centre at the university, names Professor Allyson Pollock, professor of international public health policy in the school of social and political science, in his criticism in a letter to The Herald.
Her comments about banning scrums in school rugby came alongside publication of the research this week.
The study included 470 rugby players at five schools in Scotland during the second half of the 2008-09 season, and found there were 37 injuries recorded, 26 during matches and 11 in training, including 20 that
needed a trip to an accident and emergency department.
Pollock, a joint author, was reported as saying: "High tackles and scrums should be banned.
"The sport is not safe enough for schoolchildren and not enough is being done to protect the safety of children. We know that most injuries occur in tackles and the scrum so there have got to be much greater safety measures in these areas."
However, Nicol takes issue with the association of a ban and the study. He wrote: "In recent press reports, Professor Allyson Pollock of Edinburgh University has cited a newly published study on injuries in school rugby to support her claim that scrums in school and youth rugby should be banned.
"Having reviewed the press reports I, as the lead author of this study, am disappointed at the way in which the results have been inaccurately used as a springboard to launch an unwarranted attack on rugby."
He continues: "Referring specifically to the call by Professor Pollock to ban scrums, I would note that in our study there were only two injuries in the scrum, one a knee and one a back injury. Both were back playing within a few weeks.
"In no way can that be con-sidered sufficient evidence to call for a ban on scrums in schools rugby. Our paper does not make any recommendation for banning or changing the laws around the scrum."
Pollock said: "There is no disagreement. I and Dr Nicol are in agreement over the findings of the paper. We must not lose sight of the key finding that it is relatively easy to collect good data on injuries among children playing rugby across Scotland. This needs to be implemented, without further delay."
A spokesman for Scottish Rugby said last night: "Rugby is a safe sport enjoyed by tens of thousands of players throughout Scotland and many thousands globally.
"Player safety and welfare is of the highest priority to Scottish Rugby and indeed Scottish Rugby has been at the forefront of piloting a number of variations to the game's laws designed to make the game safer and more enjoyable for al".
"Scottish Rugby will continue to ensure that the game is enjoyable for players of all shapes and sizes and assist in keeping our nation physically active."

:lol:

http://originalhoopla.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/slap-*****-demotivational-poster.jpg

Is it bad that I stopped reading this report as soon as I saw the word 'Allyson' ?

Hahaha. I wonder how many more studies Pollock will be involved in...

Latest posts