Fan wants to sell kidney to get to World Cup

W

woosaah

Fan wants to sell kidney to get to World Cup
Reuters | Tuesday, 13 March 2007

Email a Friend | Printable View | Have Your SayRelated Links
• Subscribe to Archivestuff
• Have your say

JAMSHEDPUR: A cricket-crazy Indian is threatening to kill himself if he is not allowed to sell a kidney to fund a trip to the World Cup in the Caribbean.

Tarun Sharma, 23, said he would set himself on fire later this week if no one came forward to help him sell the organ.

"I will kill myself if I am denied a chance to watch the Indians play in the West Indies," Sharma said.

"Anybody can survive with one kidney but you will never get the opportunity to watch India win the Cup in the West Indies."

The World Cup begins on Tuesday, while 1983 winners India open their campaign on March 17 with a Group B match against Bangladesh.

Selling body organs is banned by law and only family members can donate organs to their relatives after obtaining approval from authorities.

Officials said they would not allow Sharma to sell a kidney and indicated he could be prosecuted.

"We are keeping a constant watch on the situation," F.K.N. Kujur, a senior police official said.

Sharma, a salesman earning 3000 rupees ($NZ98) every month, hopes to earn more than 30 times that by selling his kidney.

He has has even set up a donation box near his house in the industrial city of Jamshedpur in the eastern Indian state of Jharkhand.

A fan of wicketkeeper Mahendra Singh Dhoni, who also hails from Jharkhand, Sharma says he never misses an opportunity to watch cricket. [/b]

http://www.stuff.co.nz/3990551a4560.html

Funniest thing i have heard all day

Latest posts